• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 'Low on space' issue

This annoys the crap out of me too but since my birthday is coming up, I am going to probably get a triumph or **gag*** pay full retail and just get prepaid with tmobile for 50 bucks a month and get a better phone.

As much as I like Android, the way it manages memory is annoying and the go around to fix it(is complciated sometimes) when you have to root.

Upvote 0
Wow, I don't use Stitcher, but just downloaded to try it. Downloaded as 4.6mb, and I could move it to SD (not rooted) and it's now 1.7mb. I have 86 apps: tcat007's Apps on the VM670 - Page 1 and have 40.4mb free. I listened to a Stitcher station for 10 minutes, my cache cleaner app has 180k shown for stitcher. It's prefs has "use SD" checked as default, I assume it's caching to SD. (yes, I just checked and a "stitcher" folder was created on SD and cache and files are there)

I use SD Watch to monitor which apps can move to SD. I use "App Cache Cleaner" to clean cache daily. I try to find small apps that do the same thing as "big" apps, and/or ones that can be moved to SD. I have apps I don't use much uninstalled either at Amazon, or backed up to SD, until I really need them. All the apps in my list above are installed, of which at least half could probably be backed up and uninstalled, but until I have ROM issues, I'll leave them alone.

I love my Optimus, just wish it had Triumph's screen!

This is the same battle I fight. What good is this nifty device if it will only run a calculator and the crappy stock apps without running out of space? Don't make me delete Angry Birds!

It's been a headache for me the past couple days. I use Stitcher probably more than any other app. After an update a couple days ago, the program now tells me it needs 25+ MB free on either the ROM or SD card to run and auto-closes most of the time. I have freed up about 20MB on the ROM and can get it to work, but for some reason -- even though my preferences tell the app to use SD card -- it's not caching to SD card. Well, I was listening via Stitcher today and now only have less than 8MB free on the ROM and most other apps don't have room to work, and every five minutes I get the out of space text message error. I've rebooted a couple times thinking maybe there's some kind of temp file or cache that wasn't cleared out, but nothing. No other apps updated today.

Any ideas? Are there temp files that junk up the onboard storage like on a PC, and if so, how do we find them and clean them out?

Upvote 0
Wow, I don't use Stitcher, but just downloaded to try it. Downloaded as 4.6mb, and I could move it to SD (not rooted) and it's now 1.7mb. I have 86 apps: tcat007's Apps on the VM670 - Page 1 and have 40.4mb free. I listened to a Stitcher station for 10 minutes, my cache cleaner app has 180k shown for stitcher. It's prefs has "use SD" checked as default, I assume it's caching to SD. (yes, I just checked and a "stitcher" folder was created on SD and cache and files are there)

I use SD Watch to monitor which apps can move to SD. I use "App Cache Cleaner" to clean cache daily. I try to find small apps that do the same thing as "big" apps, and/or ones that can be moved to SD. I have apps I don't use much uninstalled either at Amazon, or backed up to SD, until I really need them. All the apps in my list above are installed, of which at least half could probably be backed up and uninstalled, but until I have ROM issues, I'll leave them alone.

I love my Optimus, just wish it had Triumph's screen!
The bigger the screen the easier it is to crack or break when you drop it( Dropping it is an eventuality). I've dropped mine, picked it back up(Gel case),wiped off the screen, and kept on keeping on.
I know to many people who have larger screen phones with major cracke's or corners shattered. I like my smaller screen that will last a lot longer under physical stress. I can't afford to by a new phone. With this custom ROM, I don't want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones