• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Low on space" phone/application storage notification

JR did you delete your exchange account, THEN delete the contact and calendar data? Then you added *back* your exchange account and synced?

Can you list the exact steps you took?

I've been trying pretty much everything to eliminate these errant messages, but they keep popping up every several days.

(I'm really hoping the froyo update has fixed this. It's a completely unnecessary bug and one I wish HTC would simply come clean about).

H

Upvote 0
The problem is a hard reset will probably only help for the short term, since the issue is too common for it not to be related to the mapping and the OS specific to the Inc (A reset does not fix the root cause reason for it happening in the first place). I just go this today and do not have any mail taking up space and still 238mb free. This is lame and I hope just common to the official 2.1 rom on the Inc.

Seems HTC did not do enough checking before releasing this to phones. No reason other than app conflicts within the OS. Seems poor accounting for storage space of apps.

Between this and the garbled call quality, I am officially pissed.

BTW, if I have to go though all the reset BS, I may just as well root and try some roms out. Same amount of time reinstalling and setting up everything anyways.

This problem is common on the Inc, so HTC problem and not user or 3rd party app error: Here is but one sample http://www.zdnet.com/blog/google/is-your-droid-incredible-low-on-disk-space/2163?tag=nl.e539

Upvote 0
JR did you delete your exchange account, THEN delete the contact and calendar data? Then you added *back* your exchange account and synced?

Can you list the exact steps you took?

I've been trying pretty much everything to eliminate these errant messages, but they keep popping up every several days.

(I'm really hoping the froyo update has fixed this. It's a completely unnecessary bug and one I wish HTC would simply come clean about).

H

I'll do my best... I deleted the exchange account first. You get a warning screen that says all data with that account will be deleted, so that's the first step. I checked in stock People and Calendar apps to make sure I didn't see anything. Then I went to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications and selected People and both emptied cache and deleted data. Same in Calendar. In both cases, there appeared to be data and cache stored (indicated by file size) even though the data was supposedly deleted by deleting the account. With these steps done, I powered off and back on and then built a new exchange account and did the long new first sync. In addition to this, using Manage Apps, I deleted data and cache in several other apps that I DON'T use but seemed to have accumulated data... i.e. Peeps, Friendstream and others. I also found that I had set some of my news apps/widgets to download stories and pics in advance (which saves time) but found the data/cache in those apps to be HUGE! NYTimes was the biggest offender. Changed those settings. One last thing... I also did the defrag procedure you'll see suggested on a few of these "low memory" threads. I analyzed the disc first and it came up that defrag wasn't necessary... but did it anyway. So... as you can see... I did a lot of steps. But there is a solid 48 hours between the time I did the People and Calendar wipes and ALL the other steps I mentioned and I did not receive the warning in that time and I could see the size of those apps was greatly reduced AND I was able to reinstall Google Earth without any reprecussions. Earth is the largest app on my Inc. It was a very informative step to change the sort order in Manage Apps (once the calculation was done) to sort by size. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Ever since I update the Facebook app this weekend, I've been getting the "Low on space" messaage. Not true, I have 637 of 748MB. This is only thing that has been updated. I have maybe 20 apps installed.

Anyways, I noticed that this thing kept syncing for hours. I saw it was the Facebook app that was syncing. I went and checked my contacts and I had hundreds of entries for several diffifrent contacts.

I uninstalled the app and removed the Facebook data. Now the dialer and contacts will not pull up. Curse you Facebook.

Does it look like I need to reset? Battery pull did nothing.

Upvote 0
@howarmat thanks. I had this same problem, and the largest item in my applications list was my contacts data. I turned off Facebook sync (both for the app and facebook for htc) and that seemed to get rid of my "low space" problem. Side note for other folks, I did also notice a lot of duplicate entries in my contacts/people. I'm not sure what was causing that, but that's probably the main culprit to this problem.

Upvote 0
I got the message and it went away after removing some apps (which does not fix the root problem, of course). It appeared again when I tried to add some apps back (games).

1. I have 250 mb free
2. No large HTC mail cache (0 at the time of error)
3. No Facebook (never used it)
4. No large cache issues for any apps, based on app mamager info (cleared them anyway)
5. Resetting the device is a waste of time, since it will happen again- as people are reporting that have reset.

This is a bad bug and more people are seeing it now since they are starting to add more apps through time. 2.2 better fix that along with the infamous garbled call quality that HTC and VZW acknowledge is a problem.

Upvote 0
Yea, i have all my apps backed up through Astro.

The only thing i'm worried about is the not loading contacts. I just realized it hasn't synced with my Gmail since early May but backup assistant has a sync done last night.

I'm worried that if Backup Assistant runs again with the phone stuck on loading contacts...it will sync with that and i'll lose everything.

Any thoughts? I really wish it would just load the damn contacts so i could export them to the SD.

Can i copy a file out of the phone if i connect it as a disk drive that has all the contacts in it?

Upvote 0
Yea, i have all my apps backed up through Astro.

The only thing i'm worried about is the not loading contacts. I just realized it hasn't synced with my Gmail since early May but backup assistant has a sync done last night.

I'm worried that if Backup Assistant runs again with the phone stuck on loading contacts...it will sync with that and i'll lose everything.

Any thoughts? I really wish it would just load the damn contacts so i could export them to the SD.

Can i copy a file out of the phone if i connect it as a disk drive that has all the contacts in it?

The backup assistant runs from verizon website and is stored to your account. You will not loose them. Also, did you use the stock htc email at all? If, so go to settings and check under applications the gmail and htc email apps for how much data they have and the cache. The problem I had was the htc email went was running between 70 to 102mb and causing all kinds of problem.

Try uninstalling hancent and reinstalling it. See if the htc messaging works

Upvote 0
The backup assistant runs from verizon website and is stored to your account. You will not loose them. Also, did you use the stock htc email at all? If, so go to settings and check under applications the gmail and htc email apps for how much data they have and the cache. The problem I had was the htc email went was running between 70 to 102mb and causing all kinds of problem.

Try uninstalling hancent and reinstalling it. See if the htc messaging works

I never used anything but the facotry Gmail app, but I just did a (3rd)factory reset but this time i pulled the batter for awhile and it's letting me make calls at least(contacts and stock messaging app seem to be working-ish), so i'm going to just use it as just a phone(wierd) until my replacement arrives tomorrow.

Thank you for all the adivce btw!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones