• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Macro & Fish Eye Lens for Evo!

i also wonder if the lenses are fast or slow.... wont know until i try... :D

Fast or slow would only apply to a lens that had its aperture built into it -- in this case, the aperture (I'm assuming) is fixed in the EVO. Regardless, it's contained within the phone, so your shutter speed is controlled by the ISO the phone selects and the amount of available light.

These are more teleconverters than actual lenses for an SLR.

Upvote 0
anyone explain what value there is to these lenses?

The wide angle will take what your camera sees and magnify it by .67. That is, instead of zooming in, it's actually going to zoom you out by about 1/3 -- essentially, it'll allow you to be closer to a scene and take in more of it without having to back up.

The fisheye is definitely more of an effect lens. Fisheye, by definition, allows to to see close to a 180

Upvote 0
I do believe that these nothing more than a piece of plastic and a piece of glass, no moving parts.
So that would not apply.

Yes, it still applies.

Fast or slow would only apply to a lens that had its aperture built into it -- in this case, the aperture (I'm assuming) is fixed in the EVO. Regardless, it's contained within the phone, so your shutter speed is controlled by the ISO the phone selects and the amount of available light.

These are more teleconverters than actual lenses for an SLR.

That's untrue. The quality of the optics has a lot to do with light transmission as well. Good glass will require a shorter exposure time than poor glass.

Upvote 0
That's untrue. The quality of the optics has a lot to do with light transmission as well. Good glass will require a shorter exposure time than poor glass.

No, the quality of the glass has very little to do with the transmission of the light... if the glass is clear, light will transmit at the same frequency and intensity.

I have an $1800 Canon 70-200 f/2.8L lens, a $1300 Canon 24-50 f/2.8L lens and a $100 Canon 50 f/1.8 lens and, at the same aperture, shutter speed and ISO on the same scene will all create photographs at the same level of brightness.

On top of that, I slap on a $20 clear filter, just for protection which -- even though it's a very cheap piece of glass -- has absolutely no effect on the level of light allowed to fall onto the sensor.

Now, if you have a very dirty lens, or you start slapping on NGD filters or polarizers, then yeah -- that's what they're designed to do. But if the glass is clear, it's going to have a negligible effect.

Upvote 0
No, the quality of the glass has very little to do with the transmission of the light... if the glass is clear, light will transmit at the same frequency and intensity.

I have an $1800 Canon 70-200 f/2.8L lens, a $1300 Canon 24-50 f/2.8L lens and a $100 Canon 50 f/1.8 lens and, at the same aperture, shutter speed and ISO on the same scene will all create photographs at the same level of brightness.

On top of that, I slap on a $20 clear filter, just for protection which -- even though it's a very cheap piece of glass -- has absolutely no effect on the level of light allowed to fall onto the sensor.

Now, if you have a very dirty lens, or you start slapping on NGD filters or polarizers, then yeah -- that's what they're designed to do. But if the glass is clear, it's going to have a negligible effect.

I disagree, but to each their own.

Have this same lens. Cannot be beat for the price! It's ridiculously good.

Unfortunately the autofocus motor on mine shits the bed after about 18 months, every time. I use it a lot though, and at the price I really can't complain when I replace it.

Upvote 0
I disagree, but to each their own.

Feel free to run your own tests -- slap it on a tripod and take three photos with three lenses of varying quality or pricepoint. The histogram should show no change.

Unfortunately the autofocus motor on mine shits the bed after about 18 months, every time. I use it a lot though, and at the price I really can't complain when I replace it.

I've been lucky with my lens copies so far, but I've been tempted to pick up the 50 f/1.4L at some point... I just can't justify the cost of the f/1.2 version, though, at least, not until after I order my 5D Mk3, heh.

Upvote 0
lenses still absorb light. be it plastic or glass.. they refract light and absorb it. aperture is another matter altogether and beyond the scope of this conversation.. :D your knowledge is much appreciated for others to read...

Upvote 0
Can a current EVO owner confirm or deny the existence of a macro setting inside the camera options? The fish eye lense would be fun, but I swore I heard something about a macro option in the camera menu.

There is no macro option but the camera can take very good close-ups in certain situations. Here is an example: IMAG0024 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sometimes you can hear the lens (or whatever) making a zooming sound when it's trying and failing to focus in dim light or when the subject doesn't have enough detail. But as you can see in the image, it is possible to take nice macros.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones