• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Make me love my new Android phone! (Z3 Compact)

Henrik Sommer

Apr 18, 2015
Ok.. i have been a big fan of Apple for many years. i have had ALL iPhones up to iPhone 5, but couldent justify upgrading couse i dident see why.
This is why i got an android phone.
But i REALLY miss my iPhone. There is not a moment where i dont look at my desk and concider switching back.
This is where you guys got to help me, i really want to give this phone a change, and i want to get the most out of it so i can love it as mutch as i did with all my iPhones.
My iPhone was jailbroken, and maybe thats why i fell i have "downgraded" when i switch to android.
But tell me the pros of owning an android ;)

Jailbreaking an iPhone only gives you so much extra functionality. Basically it allows you to do what android already does out of the box such as installing 3rd party apps. Jailbreak does not give you full control of the system, it just let's you customize to the level of Android.

If you want to get everything you can out of your android, check out the all things root subforum for your device. Root will give you full access to every partition of your phone. Allowing you to basically do anything you want including wiping your OS and installing a custom OS. Istalling custom kernels to over clock or underclock your processor. Using apps that require root permission to go above and beyond Tue functiality of a standard app.

Also keep in mind with android you have choice. Android is an open source os. Anyone is free to use the code and modify it and put it on whatever hardware they want. Not every android is created equally. You definitely get what you pay for. And your experience will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer because they all add their own customization.

And as far as root, not all devices are created equally either. I haven't researched your device but some devices just don't get the same developer love that others do. Some devices like a nexus have tons of development happening. Lots of custom ROMs and kernels and miscellaneous tweaks and some devices don't ever see any development.

If root isn't your thing you can all ready customize android to your your liking in many other ways. Don't like your launcher/GUI? Install a custom launcher from the play store. Don't like your keyboard? Install a new one. You can change most anything you want except anything that would require altering the system partition (unless you're rooted).

Ultimately though, if you juat simply prefer iPhone, there's no shame in going back. Different strokes and all that...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Brian:

i have lollipop 5.02 version 23.1.A.0.690, and from what i found out i cant root my Z3 yet.
Have you ever owned a jailbroken iPhone? it doesent sound like it ;) you can do EVERYTHING with a jailbroken iPhone. i havent found anything new on my phone that i havent had the ability to do for years on my jb iPhone.
i could acces every file on the system, delete and modify.
one thing i loved on my phone was bite sms, it works roughly like facebook messenger app, just for sms. means that you dont have to switch to the message app to answer and write a text.

i also miss the ability to pause and switch track on my steaming music, but i have anothter tread with that in mind.

but i want to know what i can do that i couldent do on my iphone

im really giving this phone a chance, and wants to get the most out of it.

Upvote 0
You can't do EVERYTHING with a jailbroken iPhone. Probably a more accurate statement is that you could do everything you wanted to do on your iPhone. You cannot install a custom rom, recovery, kernel, etc. on the iPhone as far as I'm aware. Mainly due to the fact that iOS is closed source, so you don't get developers customizing the OS.

After a quick search, it does look like there is root for your device: http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/development/stock-firmware-23-1-0-690-generic-t3056413

Browsing around HERE and HERE on XDA would be a good place to start researching about root for your device. That's where most of the development is happening and our root section for your device is not populated at all. But still feel free to ask us questions around here; we don't shun people for wanting to learn and asking "noob" questions. :)

If I understand what you mean about the text message replies, I think there are many solutions for that. One Example is 8sms which offers a quick reply feature. I believe you can have popup notifications on your screen that you can reply to directly from the notification.

It's been a long time since I've been on the iPhone. Do you have some specific things you are looking to do? I'm not sure I could just come up with a big list of things that Android can do. I mean, it basically can do anything iPhone can, plus, you add root to that and the sky is the limit. Full image backups of your device. Overclocking/Underclocking. Custom roms will bring extra functionality. Heck, on my nexus, I've even installed ubuntu touch OS. I've multibooted my phone.

Okay, I'm not always the best at explaining things. There are many users here that could do a better job than me at explaining benefits of rooting. In the meantime, here's a quick read about it: http://www.androidpit.com/jailbreak-android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones