• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making progress since my mom's death

Thought I'd post a bit of an update, because I wanted to let you all know that things are on the upswing. It's been 2+ months since my mom died, and since we lived together it's been extremely difficult NOT being reminded of her all the time. However, I've recently taken some steps to do things that are not only good for other people, but good for helping me heal and move forward.

A couple of weeks ago, the mail carrier left a blue grocery bag for a donation thing that happens every so often. You put non-perishables in it and leave it out for the carrier to pick up on a certain day. I decided to clean out the cabinets of things I'd bought for Mom--some before her choking incident (which left her on a soft food diet) and some after. Among them, a big bag of Cheetos. She LOVED Cheetos! We used to find it hilarious to go in her room and find this 89-year-old woman with fluorescent orange fingers and lips. :D Anyway, I actually needed an additional bag, and I filled them both to overflowing. The food goes to local food banks, and I'm glad to know that people who need food will enjoy these things Mom didn't get a chance to. It felt a bit like throwing away a little piece of Mom, but it was cathartic, too.

Also, I received--or, actually, Mom received--a mailing from the very place, Convalescent Aid Society, I had planned on donating some of her medical equipment to. Ironically, its front page boasted that "CAS turns 90!" Mom would've turned 90 in July. So I took this mailing as a sign that it's time for me to move on donating her stuff. I called them and arranged a pick up date. I'm going to donate her wheelchair, walker, never used bedside commode and carton of plastic liners, washable bed pads, shower chair, and anything else I see that might be usable. I verified that CAS does NOT charge people for use of any items so, again, I feel good knowing that people who need these things and can't afford them will have use of them.

Various other, smaller things have happened, too. Basically, I'm still struggling but I feel like I'm making some movement forward. Now if I could just get moving on having the house and carpet cleaned...

hey MoodyBlues,

i'm glad that you have decided to move on and clean house so to speak,minus the carpet cleaning;)

and like Gmash has said, it is great that you are doing it and helping others. i think that can be so therapeutic to know that others can benefit from your mom. it is like an extension of your mom helping others in the end.

though you could have sent those cheetos to me as I LOVE THEM:eating:

:D:D:D

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
hey MoodyBlues,

i'm glad that you have decided to move on and clean house so to speak,minus the carpet cleaning;)

and like Gmash has said, it is great that you are doing it and helping others. i think that can be so therapeutic to know that others can benefit from your mom. it is like an extension of your mom helping others in the end.
Thanks. :)

though you could have sent those cheetos to me as I LOVE THEM:eating:

:D:D:D
Funny thing about Cheetos--I USED to love them, but don't want to go near them any more. Two years ago I had this horrific esophageal thrush infection [caused by Dulera, one of my inhalers], and it caused intractable vomiting; I literally didn't eat for a couple months, subsisting on 200-300 calories a day from juice. I was hospitalized as a result. When the infection was finally under control and I resumed eating, I had this INSANE CRAVING for Cheetos. I'd tell my best friend that I was going to snuggle up with a bag of Cheetos and call it a night. :D And I'd eat the WHOLE bag. Mind you, we're not talking about those little, single serve bags...not even the larger sized bags...no indeed, we're talking the BIG bags. :eek: Well, I got my fill of Cheetos and can no longer stand to look at them. :laugh:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

Funny thing about Cheetos--I USED to love them, but don't want to go near them any more. Two years ago I had this horrific esophageal thrush infection [caused by Dulera, one of my inhalers], and it caused intractable vomiting; I literally didn't eat for a couple months, subsisting on 200-300 calories a day from juice. I was hospitalized as a result. When the infection was finally under control and I resumed eating, I had this INSANE CRAVING for Cheetos. I'd tell my best friend that I was going to snuggle up with a bag of Cheetos and call it a night. :D And I'd eat the WHOLE bag. Mind you, we're not talking about those little, single serve bags...not even the larger sized bags...no indeed, we're talking the BIG bags. :eek: Well, I got my fill of Cheetos and can no longer stand to look at them. :laugh:

sorry to deflate your thread here but is this you?
cheetosgirlinbath.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Its gud that you are a social aware gal. I know donating last bit of mom's thing is hard as everything has a remembrance and emotions attached. But Doing this you are helping yourself and society.
You my friend did a awesome job by donating such things to the needful nd poor. She will be very proud of you from heaven.

Edit : Sorry i didn't know u were girl.

Upvote 0
Moody
I am new to this forum, so I was unaware of your Mother's passing. You have my wife and my condolences. I will take a little time to get use to not having your mother there, you will find yourself saying "Hey Mom would you ...."and then you will remember that she is not there. I know I went thru it 29yrs ago when my Dad passed away. You are doing the right thing by donating things that were her belongings and things like her wheelchair etc. etc. There a people that are not able to afford these items. Just remember this she is no longer suffering, hang in there.remember the good times you had.

Upvote 0
Its gud that you are a social aware gal. I know donating last bit of mom's thing is hard as everything has a remembrance and emotions attached. But Doing this you are helping yourself and society.
You my friend did a awesome job by donating such things to the needful nd poor. She will be very proud of you from heaven.

Edit : Sorry i didn't know u were girl.
Yes...about a million years ago! :eek: :laugh: Now I'm what they call a 'middle-aged woman.' :D

Upvote 0

Yes...about a million years ago! :eek: :laugh: Now I'm what they call a 'middle-aged woman.' :D

Lady , I Wish i could Accompany u, yeah i am much more shorter in age. but surely i would like to gain some experiences and spend a little time with u. :)
Ahh a middle aged lady , I think u have a lot of experiences to share and alot of things to make us beware. Just Don't Be silly, age is just a invincible character or we would have killed it.
Time is what i Respect !!!

Sorry , I Didnt Know what i typed , i am rooted !!! Dont be offended !! Seriously i am full s#!t !!!

But Lastly I am PROUD of u as human !!!

Upvote 0
Mother's Day was weird. My husband called to see how I was doing. We talked about how it was our first Mother's Day with *NO* mothers. Not his. Not mine. And we revisited the fact that ALL of our parents are gone now, and WE are the 'older generation' in the family. Weird, weird, weird. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones