• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making various Google apps work seamlessly

lesliegodwin

Jun 11, 2010
I'd like to be more of a power user and understand the little glitches that come up with using Google apps.

I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the features and how to use my Evo, thanks to this forum and just fooling around with the phone . But there are times my phone drives me crazy...for example, I was searching for "chinese restaurant Agoura Hills" with Google search, but had to manually switch over to Navigate to get directions. (I later stumbled on a way that Maps showed a restaurant review as well as linked easily to directions, but it was not intuitive and I don't know if I could do it again without going through the same fumbling around.)

Or when I save a new contact, I 'm asked to choose where to save it; on my phone, or in google contacts, etc. And I'm not sure which to choose. And if it's just in the phone, does that not mean it's on my contact list on gmail? And is there a way to only show certain contacts when I'm in my car using my car's bluetooth? That sort of thing.

***I'm not looking for an answer to these specific (possibly lame) examples, but just wondering if there is a thread/website/ebook/youtube video that goes into how to integrate basic google apps and get quickly to what I need to know.

I am glad to be rid of my iPhone, which was totally seamless, but limited. I totally love all of the customizations and variety of apps I can use with my (non-rooted) Android phone.

Thanks for any ideas re. how I can be a smarter Android phone/google user!! I like to know why something doesn't work, not just how to get from point a to point b.
Leslie
PS-I swear I searched this forum and on Google for some answers before posting! :)

Or when I save a new contact, I 'm asked to choose where to save it; on my phone, or in google contacts, etc. And I'm not sure which to choose. And if it's just in the phone, does that not mean it's on my contact list on gmail?

If you save it as a Phone Contact, it will be in your phonebook, but will not be backed up or synced to Gmail. If you save it as a Google Contact, it will be exactly the same, except it WILL sync with your Gmail and be backed up.

Reactions: lesliegodwin
Upvote 0
I'd like to be more of a power user and understand the little glitches that come up with using Google apps.

***I'm not looking for an answer to these specific (possibly lame) examples, but just wondering if there is a thread/website/ebook/youtube video that goes into how to integrate basic google apps and get quickly to what I need to know :)

try this site out:

Google for Android

Reactions: lesliegodwin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones