• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market Downloader App hogging data

Herdsmann

Lurker
Feb 23, 2012
Hello Out there,
I've got an app called "market downloader" that's hogging my data. I can't uninstall it because I can't find it. Onavo is installed and tells me its hogging data. Onavo shows it clearly, but it's hidden from Norton Utilities and the standard built in app uninstaller. Anyone heard of this problem? Is there another way of finding the critter?
HTC Sensation

Thanks,

Herdsmann

I have the exact same issue like you and it started about the same date. Market downloader has gone rogue and downloads without my consentement soemthing like 15 to 50 mb per day.
I have an htc magic, with cyanogenmod 2.2. I did a nand restore to a backup from 2011, did not help.
I updated the market to google play. did not help.
Have you found a solution for yourself? I am really speechless in this, even though I have been investigating for hours and hours.

Upvote 0
I did and nand restore, and then instead of restoring my app with titanium, I updated them all through google play. After that I have blocked everything related to market with the app autostarts. And for some time the situation seemed to be stable.
Then browsing google play with my LAPTOP, I sent an application to be installed on my phone using the web version of google play.
The application installed eventually, but then the problem with data abuse by market downloader was back.

I did the nand restore procedure again and it is back to stable.

So I suspect that there are atm some issues when trying to install application through the web version of google play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones