• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marketplace stopped working correctly. Any ideas??!!

Hmmm... For some reason downloads from the market has stopped working... I haven't been able to download anything from the market in the last hour... The download just sits at 'Starting Download' but never starts... I heard that you have to hack/root your phone to download market apps if you're using a European or Telus Hero in the states but when i first got the phone I was downloading apps just fine so I figured that was false... any idea how to go about finding out what's wrong? I'm on WiFi...

... and that's your problem. I've done a few tests, at times it's taken up to 20 minutes to start the download when I'm on wifi. Sometimes it never downloads.

I turn of wifi, wait a minute for the normal data network to kick-in and it works.

I use Wifi all the time at home to download apps. At least half of the 164 apps I have have been downloaded via Wifi.

I have never had an issue downloading via Wifi. Today however I had trouble with the Market on 3G, 2G and wifi. It wasnt long term trouble, but it was a little bothersome.

Upvote 0
This is not a WiFi issue - it happens on my Hero occasionally. Just cancel the download & re-start the download, or if this not fix the issue, reboot the phone.

For some people, like myself, this is a wifi problem. There's a 300+ post thread on the Google forums about this. Many of the posters only have the problem using wifi.
Download issues: stalled at "Starting download" - Android Market Help

Also, it's been reported other places on the net. It may not be the issuein this specific case, but nonetheless it is a real issue.

Upvote 0
This is so freaking ODD! Ok so I did a search through the HUGE thread that rioja suggested with hundreds of people having the same issue... one of the suggestions was to start the google talk app as this seems to remedy it but the guy said he had to do this each time he wanted to install an app... I tried it and sure enough AS SOON as I started google talk, I got a bazillion alerts in my notification bar saying all the previous apps I was trying to download were downloading and then completed... There has to be a way to fix this. I do not want to have to start google talk every time I want to download something...

Upvote 0
This is so freaking ODD! Ok so I did a search through the HUGE thread that rioja suggested with hundreds of people having the same issue... one of the suggestions was to start the google talk app as this seems to remedy it but the guy said he had to do this each time he wanted to install an app... I tried it and sure enough AS SOON as I started google talk, I got a bazillion alerts in my notification bar saying all the previous apps I was trying to download were downloading and then completed... There has to be a way to fix this. I do not want to have to start google talk every time I want to download something...

I know, I know... it's crazy! I get the same. I read somewhere else that GTalk is opening or running on a certain port and that the Market is also using that port for downloads. So GTalk kind of kickstarts/opens it (or something like that)

Don't really understand it and I just hope Google fixes it. At leat they've been aware of the issue for awhile now.

Upvote 0
In digging some more this actually makes sense and then again doesn't. I have an app called 'Startup Auditor' and I put many apps on there that I never use so they won't startup and Google talk was one of them. When I checked the Google Talk properties in Startup Auditor it said that disabling this would also disable some other applications because they use shared resources and sure enough Android Marketplace was on there...

On a side note, I wish so many apps didn't auto-register to startup. I wish you at least got an option after installing or on first run of the app... I hate windows (both the computers and mobile platform) because of this very thing and I hate to have to deal with it yet again on my new Android phone. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones