• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Media" "sdcard" battery drain question.....

kasper007

May 19, 2010
Is there a way to get rid of these 2 problems without rooting my phone? Ever since the jelly bean update I've had this frikin problem....."sdcard" is always using battery, WHY? "media" drain goes away if i just fully charge my phone, but sdard is always using battery!

It seems there is no resolution to the Media battery drain problem. If I force stop Downloads, the drain stops until a reboot. I'd love to know if that works for anyone else.

Recently my S3 also started to drain the battery through the "Media" application. I have removed my external SD card completely but the problem is still there. I downloaded the GSAM battery monitor to try to get a better idea of what it is that is draining my battery.

With GSAM I can create a custom reference and then see how much battery is drained in a specific time (at least that how I think it works...).

I rebooted my phone, started a new reference point and waited 9 minutes.
Battery usage was -4% after 9 minutes.
Screen was using 15% of that and "App Usage" was responsible for the remaining 85%.
It was "Media" that accounted for 60% of the total App usage...

I then force stopped "Downloads" and repeated.
Now battery usage was -2% after 9 minutes.
Screen was using 34%, App usage 65%.
Of those 65%, Android system was using 30%, GSAM battery monitor 20% and the Android OS Kernel 8%. Media came in on 4th place with only 5% usage..

So it looks like force stopping downloads does indeed help. Battery drains twice as fast with Downloads running on my phone.

It should probably be mentioned that this test was done with the phone in flight mode, only wifi active.

"Downloads" restarts every time I reboot the phone and has to be killed again though.
I am curious what it is that this "Downloads" is doing apart from draining battery..
Has anyone figured out a better solution for this problem..?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones