• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Merit] [ROOT] ZTE z990g Merit (An avail variant?)

I am very new to all of this and learning as I go.

I would like to say thanks for the info on this thread. I thought I had my phone rooted last night, but my apps could not find the su on my sd card. I had downloaded superuser and app 2 sd but when I tried titanium back up, it could not find su and then I downloaded a root checker and it said I was not rooted. I the did a factory reset on the phone and would like to try it again. Everything goes great up to the reboot then I type to push the su and it can not be found. I have un zipped it and placed it in the tools folder. I then type

C:\android-sdk>adb push c:/android-sdk/tools/su

and it gives me this

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26
-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
returns an error if more than one USB device is
present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT
environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
devices - list all connected devices
connect <host>:<port> - connect to a device via TCP/IP
disconnect <host>:<port> - disconnect from a TCP/IP device

device commands:
adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
(no option) - don't touch the data partition
-w - wipe the data partition
-d - flash the data partition

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
[parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
is updated.

I do not know if the above is correct, but next when I try the adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su

I get Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

please help

Thanks,
Rodney

Upvote 0
I have tried countless times followed all the directions to the finest detail, however I have been unable to root my merit.

Superuser just says no apps, root checker says sorry no root access.

It remounts , it installs su after I reboot NO ROOT

I am about to give up because nobody will simply make a video every phone you can imagine just has a video of someone ROOTING it showing you step by step but not the MERIT I do not understand.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

Upvote 0
Also I have made sure su is in the same directory as adb I held shift and opened a command window, everything works just as the directions describe, all of it works perfect based on the instructions, remount succeeded , adb push su /system/xbin/su
397 KB/s <22364 bytes in 0.055s>

then I do the adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin.su
then adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

it works I then remove the 2 files as in the directions, and reboot

But when my phone comes back on and I run superuser and root checker I AM NOT ROOTED !!! and I am lost from this point

Upvote 0
What Build are you running? I had a lot of difficulty rooting my phone until I flashed back to an earlier Build. The reason for this is that the latest build prevents the dialer code from rooting the device.

You can go to my G+ profile and read the post that I wrote up on how exactly I rooted my device. It has links to all the files that you need, even the earlier stock build.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
still have not jumped into this.. i am very confused on where files should be. i have the sdk installed , i have the su zip file. currently 10mb of free space and the phone is useless until i can root. i have a 32gb card that is doing NOTHING.

i need this phone rooted, but some of the "codes" are confusing to a noob in rooting. no right click option to open command prompt.. can i open it with admin rights? if so then where do i start?

so confused:(

Upvote 0
AT&T Avail
version: 2.3.4
build: Z990v1.0.0B19

I followed the procedure exactly, it all went clean as can be.
Downloaded SuperUser from market, it installed okay.
Ran Root Checker Basic, Sorry! no proper root access.

I noticed that SU running is /system/bin/su (not /system/xbin/su)
I reran the directions with 2 commands added

adb remount

{next 2 instructions added}
mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su-old
mv /system/bin/busybox /system/bin/busybox-old

adb push su /system/xbin/su
continue per original instructions

install superuser
install busybox

Thanks jcase, you rock!!!

Upvote 0
AT&amp;T Avail
version: 2.3.4
build: Z990v1.0.0B19

I followed the procedure exactly, it all went clean as can be.
Downloaded SuperUser from market, it installed okay.
Ran Root Checker Basic, Sorry! no proper root access.

I noticed that SU running is /system/bin/su (not /system/xbin/su)
I reran the directions with 2 commands added

adb remount

{next 2 instructions added}
mv /system/bin/su /system/bin/su-old
mv /system/bin/busybox /system/bin/busybox-old

continue per original instructions

install superuser
install busybox

Thanks jcase, you rock!!!

Mine uses system/bin/su also. It has since rooting. I'm on the z990 if that matters.

Upvote 0
The problem was that the su that came with the avail was already in /bin. As a result, after rooting per the directions, the su that was pulled up was in /bin, not the su that was pushed into /xbin. This is because bin is searched before xbin. The net result was the root failed until the copy of su was /bin effectively removed from the path search.

Upvote 0
Noone ever says where to START... anyone make a VIDEO? my Merrit (z990g) is still basically fresh out of the box.. Ive installed a couple of games from the app store but thats it. no adb(whatever that is) no su.. superuser.. no idea what any of that is either.. I see directory paths but not sure which part is referring to directories on my laptop or a directory on my phones SD card?

Upvote 0
Noone ever says where to START... anyone make a VIDEO? my Merrit (z990g) is still basically fresh out of the box.. Ive installed a couple of games from the app store but thats it. no adb(whatever that is) no su.. superuser.. no idea what any of that is either.. I see directory paths but not sure which part is referring to directories on my laptop or a directory on my phones SD card?

To be perfectly honest, I used the instructions on this page and they worked flawlessly with no mistakes. However, I also have used linux for the last 8+ years so none of the commands were "new" to me.

Rooting ZTE Merit (z990g) for Dummies:

Step 1). Download ADB Tools.
Code:
http://dl.google.com/android/installer_r20.0.3-windows.exe

Step 2). Download ChainSDD-Su.zip.
Code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/chainsdd-su.zip

Step 3). From Windows, Unzip ChainSDD-Su.zip to where ever you like. I simply extracted it to my desktop.

Step 4). From Windows, Install ADB Tools that you downloaded. I installed them to their default location. (I run Windows XP).

Step 5). From your z990g, First make sure your USB cable is plugged into both your phone and your computer. Then proceed to: Settings -> Applictions -> Development and check "USB Debugging". You should now see a little "bug" in your Notification Area. If not, restart your phone.

Step 6). From Windows, Start -> Run -> cmd (type that into the text box).

Step 7). From the Command Promt type cd "<directory you extracted chainsdd-su.zip to>" (Include the quotes).

Step 8). Follow the directions provided by this thread for the commands.

** NOTE **
After the reboot step, The $ will change to a #. At least for me it did. If it does, you may get this error:
Code:
adb remount
adb: not found

Simply leave out the adb part. For example:
Code:
adb remount
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

I used:
Code:
remount
push su /system/xbin/su
shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

Step 9). Download Superuser app from the "Play Store".

Step 10). Pat yourself on the back, Your phone is now rooted.

Upvote 0
I have some questions - I have successfully rooted my phone per the jcase instructions - However, I am still unable to MOVE applications to the sd card - everything installs to the phone and I am back to the low memory message and the sd card has nothing - What am I missing? I have tried apps2sd pro without any luck (it says no aps can be moved) What do I need to do in order to utilize my sd card for the apps and things and not use up the internal memory of the phone? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten this 'dummy' :)

Upvote 0
I have some questions - I have successfully rooted my phone per the jcase instructions - However, I am still unable to MOVE applications to the sd card - everything installs to the phone and I am back to the low memory message and the sd card has nothing - What am I missing? I have tried apps2sd pro without any luck (it says no aps can be moved) What do I need to do in order to utilize my sd card for the apps and things and not use up the internal memory of the phone? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten this 'dummy' :)

just because you root your phone doesn't mean that you can magically start installing apps to your sdcard...

i personally have all the space i need for apps with only having installed a few of the apps that by default will move to the sd without any other apps.

if you are desperate to move all your apps to sd, use link2sd

Upvote 0
:thinking: I will start by saying that I am new to android programing. But I have worked with Xbox and Xbox 360 systems. So I know that I should be able to get a grasp on this. I have followed the instructions, my phone is rooted according to Super User App, and some OS apps won't work because it says my phone has been rooted. However; root checker, busybox, and other apps as such states that I do not have root. Can some on let me know where I may have went wrong? Thank you for your help.:)

Upvote 0
:thinking: I will start by saying that I am new to android programing. But I have worked with Xbox and Xbox 360 systems. So I know that I should be able to get a grasp on this. I have followed the instructions, my phone is rooted according to Super User App, and some OS apps won't work because it says my phone has been rooted. However; root checker, busybox, and other apps as such states that I do not have root. Can some on let me know where I may have went wrong? Thank you for your help.:)

Get Root Checker from the Play store. If your rooted, it will tell you. You have to "allow" Superuser in the app settings, so it will prompt you to allow root priveledges. Its weird, but, neccessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones