• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ZTE Merit z990g cannot use touchscreen after *983*29873283#

After entering this code, got the message firmware updating do not touch screen. Waited awhile and rebooted the phone. Now my touchscreen does not work at all. Tried all types of custom roms listed on here and xda developers.

Some time ago I remember doing something to the same phone and downloading P020111107491720801969.zip and it fixed the problem, thing is, all the links to this file are dead, I cannot find it anywhere after searching all day.

I cannot access adb through shell because without being able to enable usb debugging, because of the touchscreen issue, this is not an option.

Does anybody anywhere have the original zte merit z990g stock or any original firmware that I could just flash it back to through the recovery screen that comes up when pressing menu+vol up+power button?

HELP!!!!!!!

Forgot to mention.

Did find a diff in the .qcn in the hex editor. When your phone was a merit, like mine, the firmware was p7something, not at PC to look. Now its a new number.

The ftm flag is writtable and can be changed in qpst Rev nav. Thinking that I could enter, according to that doc, either 8 or 113-118. Not sure which.

If not another way to try is actually changing the 00 00 00 00 to the hex that reads FTM_MODE. Might get stuck in ftm mode that way but worth a shot.

As for ftm being useless, I have to disagree, it can save a brick and unlock.

As per my last comment, stayboogey you suggested the tavail tflash, if he put the image on his SD card, pressed home then volume up then power, it will prob unbrick an fix your partitionsr, since you said it worked for your phone before.

Upvote 0
Hi I'm wondering is there a way to flash the system image or recovery image via computer? I had bricked my ZTE z990g about 3 years ago! I don't quite remember what I did to brick it but I think it had something to do with me playing around with exposed. It was rooted stock rom changed boot animation from tracfone using rom toolbox pro but I didn't get a custom recovery installed like I should have before toying with it lol! But anyways at first after brick it wouldn't boot past the boot animation it would just hang there well then after playing with different button sequences and pinhole reset button I got it to boot into the Rom again. but now all i can access is the emergency dialer after unlocking the slider screen lock and I can get into the home screen but it's blank black no option to go anywhere. I can pull down the notification screen but no options there! I can press the menus key and that brings up the keyboard over the homescreen cant do anything there pressing the home button brings a white letter pop up on home screen saying no recent apps available so then i press the back button and it will bring you back to the screen before hand! Well then i found a code that works on the emergency dialer to factory hard reset and that brings you to the settings menu to backup and factory restore and it just reboots so that's not working either so then i tryd to use Bluetooth because it was still on after it rebooted after bricking it well after quite some time of messing around with BT I got it to pair with my S5 and thought alright this is gonna work and figured I would be able to install emulator or any app I could try to get it to boot out of its confused state but when i went to send an app to it with my S5 it wouldn't let me except or recieve the incoming file! So thats all that I could think of and tried for now with no more progress on booting it out of that state! I've tried a couple pc tools but I can only get my pc to read it as an unknown Android device or a storage device so the tools I tried aren't reading it and i can't get it into debug mode either! can't boot into stock recovery or FTM either! I may have done this one in good on my learn as you go Android modding never seen one act like this phone the way it bricked and I've bricked probly about 8-9 phones but always found a way back! Now I stick with Sammy lol! Well i know this is an old post but I'm hoping stayboogy will mabe catch this and interest him as he helped me with the same phone years ago and he probably knows this phone better than anyone inside & out! appreciate all your hard work stayboogy thanks! Any ideas are appreciated I'm open to suggestions I'm just hoping some one still looks thru these old threads in hopes of reviving my old merit still in new condition on the outside lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones