• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Message To All Fascinate Lurkers!!

I'm coming from the LG DARE, which I really enjoyed (I didn't have any data plan, whatsoever, so I never used it for email or web stuff... just texting and calls (who knew?? phone calls!!!).

The Verizon reps ROCK!! They talked me into keeping it by downloading a T9 app for me. Still struggling to figure everything out... but enjoying it more and more as I get used to it.

OMG! this is me exactly. coming from a Dare and used my phone just as you did. I ended up chatting with a rep who actually made sure I had some apps ALREADY put on the phone that I was interested in such as FM Radio Pulse 87 from NYC, Moto GP, NFL Network apps!

Upvote 0
Hmmm maybe not I learned so much today outside of root mastery I dont know what else I can do other than share what I learned in replies. Probably won't get 50 a day again...unless I play some of those games in the lounge and stuff:eek:

Go for it! That's what it's all about! :D

I joined today but I've mainly just been soaking up knowledge like a sponge and not participating as much. Once I feel confident that I can talk about this stuff without sounding completely ignorant, I'll try to get that post count up. ;)

Don't be shy posting. If anyone is rude, hit the "!" report button and the post gets deleted and the mods "yell" at them. ;) This is a very well moderated forum and you can feel safe here! :) :)

Welcome!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I just signed up today. Then again, I don't even have an Android OS phone...yet. That'll come tomorrow, as I'll be eligible for the full "new every two" upgrade with Verizon.

With their promotion of BOGO with the Fascinate, my wife and I have been discussing whether or not to just get two Fascinates or, mainly on my end, getting the Fascinate for her and either a Fascinate for me or a Droid X. Having read this same thread on the "DX" forum, it appears that either will work quite well for either of us.

I have no idea what rooted versus non-rooted means, so until I read up on that, I really don't have anything useful to contribute there.

This will be the first "smart phone" for either of us, so we're looking forward to using them.

Upvote 0
Okay. You talked me into it. I got my SF last week and I love it. I'm on my computer now via my SF's hot spot. Too cool.

I have a way of doing that. I talk too much! :) Glad you did! :)

I just signed up today. Then again, I don't even have an Android OS phone...yet. That'll come tomorrow, as I'll be eligible for the full "new every two" upgrade with Verizon.

With their promotion of BOGO with the Fascinate, my wife and I have been discussing whether or not to just get two Fascinates or, mainly on my end, getting the Fascinate for her and either a Fascinate for me or a Droid X. Having read this same thread on the "DX" forum, it appears that either will work quite well for either of us.

I have no idea what rooted versus non-rooted means, so until I read up on that, I really don't have anything useful to contribute there.

This will be the first "smart phone" for either of us, so we're looking forward to using them.

Glad you signed up! Enjoy the new phones when you get them!! :D

Upvote 0
I felt guilty - so I joined !!! :eek:

I was post number 3 in the thread so now I feel the need to expand on my original post.......my wife was due for a upgrade back from December 09 and I could have upgraded over 2 years ago - as I am still using an old moto815 flip phone. With VW BOGO we thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get into the 'now' and both get 'smart phones'.

I have no idea how to use it or why I even needed one - the wife will use hers - but I guess we will figure this all out on Thursday when the FeEx truck pulls into our driveway.

I will let you know how it goes or if we need help !!!

Upvote 0
okay... we all love and remember our "first".... and this was the thread with my first post here... to this thread.... <3... so I feel a connection to it... lol
I'm just eager to hear how all those waiting for their fascinate (sorry... but I wish it had a different name.. shoot me....but it just sounds silly to me. I'm coming from the DARE.. and that was equally as silly.).... but... have any of you that have been waiting for your phone... have you gotten it yet?? do you like it? I'm sitting firmly on the "fascinate fence"....can't decide... plus.... IT FROZE UP ON ME.... mid-text....then went BLACK... had to take the battery out... :(

Upvote 0
I got my first smartphone in the Droid X at the end of August, simply because I could upgrade to a smartphone but had to do so by the end of August. My upgrade wasn't technically until January but after seeing/researching the X, I got it (had an Alias 2 haha). My research also brought me to the Fascinate, albeit, it had no release date at the time. So I figured get the X and if the Fascinate came out in the 30 days I would get it.

I am so glad that it did. I liked the X a lot (and also didn't like a lot of things), but the Fascinate is amazing thus far. Highly recommend it. I did a brief comparison (bullet-style) here (post #126).

Good luck to all of those choosing and if anyone needs any insight, I would be happy to try to help :)

Upvote 0
Can I still join/post here if I went to get the SF this weekend but, after reading posts here about problems with GPS, I decided to wait???

Anyways, I did test it out and it was a very nice SF. Only problem I had was with high res video I recorded onto YouTube and played back on the Fascinate and DX and DInc. Fascinate had a buffer issue while the X and Inc played the clip seamlessly.

Upvote 0
Don't forget, the Dinc has an unfair advantage at this point. It has Froyo (2.2) and the SF does not. You have to compare apples to apples. I would assume that SF would be getting it too, in the not too distant future.

As a matter of fact, I had gone to the VZW store and compared the two fones. They are both beautiful. I love the amoled and super-amoled screens, fer shur, even though I have a DX.

Upvote 0
OMG! this is me exactly. coming from a Dare and used my phone just as you did. I ended up chatting with a rep who actually made sure I had some apps ALREADY put on the phone that I was interested in such as FM Radio Pulse 87 from NYC, Moto GP, NFL Network apps!
Hi KCLARK... just wondering how you are faring making the transition from the Dare to the Fascinate? Did you text in t9 word mode or qwerty? Hope you're doing better than I am!

Upvote 0
(((ducking sheepishly)))... but.... what exactly is :thinking: "rooting"... and ... "froyo"?... and will it make the phone experience truly better?? Can someone please explain it to me? Thanks :)
Rooting is gaining access to the device's subsystem. Once rooted we can make changes to the device normally not available out of the box. [Removing bloatware and Bing for instance] Froyo is a version of the operating system. We have Eclair [2.1] on our SF's. Froyo [2.2] is the update/upgrade. It is highly regarded.
As for if it makes your phone experience better. That is a subjective answer but generally yes. Anyone who roots is trying to achieve a better phone experience. For instance, by rooting I was able to get rid of some of the pre-installed apps/program VZW but on the SF I have no use for. Further, I was able to use other apps/programs that I wanna use that I cannot use with the out of the box SF [things like SetCPU, ShootMe]. Finally, there is the whole Bing vs Google Search issue. So overall yes rooting will make your phone experience better since your phone will have on it what you want it to have on it and not just what VZW gives you.

Upvote 0
Rooting is gaining access to the device's subsystem. Once rooted we can make changes to the device normally not available out of the box. [Removing bloatware and Bing for instance] Froyo is a version of the operating system. We have Eclair [2.1] on our SF's. Froyo [2.2] is the update/upgrade. It is highly regarded.
As for if it makes your phone experience better. That is a subjective answer but generally yes. Anyone who roots is trying to achieve a better phone experience. For instance, by rooting I was able to get rid of some of the pre-installed apps/program VZW but on the SF I have no use for. Further, I was able to use other apps/programs that I wanna use that I cannot use with the out of the box SF [things like SetCPU, ShootMe]. Finally, there is the whole Bing vs Google Search issue. So overall yes rooting will make your phone experience better since your phone will have on it what you want it to have on it and not just what VZW gives you.
LMAO.... sorry, saps... but if you could see me... you would see me with my eyes all glazed over at your words.... wish I could get it... but.... waaahhh... nope... :p... but I excel in other areas!! (((like T9 word)))... tee hee

Upvote 0
LMAO.... sorry, saps... but if you could see me... you would see me with my eyes all glazed over at your words.... wish I could get it... but.... waaahhh... nope... :p... but I excel in other areas!! (((like T9 word)))... tee hee
OK my bad. Froyo is like Windows XP or Vista or 7, its the phones OS
Rooting lets you customize your device

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones