• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] my phone wont cut on

You can be mad at the exitrecovery.zip all you want, but it didnt do anything other than it was intended to do, GET A LG DEVICE OUT OF A CWM BOOTLOOP!!! (And only certain models at that). You or anyone else that has used it on a Samsung or any other device other than what it was originally posted for are the ones at fault.

100% Complete user error, failure to read descriptions, instructions, etc, etc. If someone else has re-posted it stating it was for any device, well they LIED!!!!!!

In the end this was completely your fault and PlayfulAlien's fault for flashing it as it was not created, posted, or intended for and other device(s) other than a handful of LG's that have the same partitions.
I downloaded it from (I don't even remember what site) and yes it did mention for all "android" phones. Yes now I know it's my fault.

Upvote 0
I have done a lot with flashing ROM's, backups, etc.. But no, I do not have any experience with the hardcore technical details like ROM developers can do. I like the description that shabby penguin had described above. Kinda paints a picture for me about what happened.

oh please find me the link where it says its for all devices, I will rip them a new one if you know what I mean.

I can tell you exactly what it does, it zeros out a reboot recovery flag on the LG Esteem/Revo and/or Connect misc partition, which was read in a hex editor to find and verify the offsets of said flag, and then tested and verified to work on the intended devices b4 it was ever posted publicly.

And yes a zip can literally destroy a device if its flashed and wasnt meant for it. Flashing stuff to the wrong partition, like in this case zeroing out a partition, etc, etc. Why myself and other Dev stress never flash anything not intended for your device unless its been tested and verified by a tested member of the community or the Dev themselves.

Sorry for your's and PA's luck tho, that sucks.

Upvote 0
oh please find me the link where it says its for all devices, I will rip them a new one if you know what I mean.

I can tell you exactly what it does, it zeros out a reboot recovery flag on the LG Esteem/Revo and/or Connect misc partition, which was read in a hex editor to find and verify the offsets of said flag, and then tested and verified to work on the intended devices b4 it was ever posted publicly.

And yes a zip can literally destroy a device if its flashed and wasnt meant for it. Flashing stuff to the wrong partition, like in this case zeroing out a partition, etc, etc. Why myself and other Dev stress never flash anything not intended for your device unless its been tested and verified by a tested member of the community or the Dev themselves.

Sorry for your's and PA's luck tho, that sucks.
Oh I will try to find it. I googled something about CWM boot looping and came across it somewhere. Thank you for the info above about flashing stuff to wrong partition/devices. This is something I will definitely not forget from now on!

Upvote 0
well i guess bottom line is if it doesn't specify its for your device specifically Dont Risk It! Call me paranoid but being a skeptic with such situations is better than being too curious and daring lol. anyways yea theres two options for ya.listen up carefully.

you guys can go ahead and file a claim with metro guard and pay the $130 deductible or since this device is less than a year old we still all have a 1 year warranty from samsung so u can call their tech support and they will have you try certain trouble shooting methods which has been mentioned here already but just play along lol once they see theres no turning back on they will send u a prepaid postage for you to send them your bricked phone and they will mess with it and eventually fix it via jtag. only issue is doing it with the samsung warranty means you will be without a phone for quite some time if i remember correctly i got a samsung indulge back in 3 weeks, so yea best to be patient but hey fixed for free and u cant complain lol.

metro guard: Pro- they can over night you a new phone and you will get it next business day. con- cost $130

samsung 1 year warranty: pro- fixed for free. con- gotta wait a long time :D

hopes this helps.

Reactions: ARocker
Upvote 0
well i guess bottom line is if it doesn't specify its for your device specifically Dont Risk It! Call me paranoid but being a skeptic with such situations is better than being too curious and daring lol. anyways yea theres two options for ya.listen up carefully.

you guys can go ahead and file a claim with metro guard and pay the $130 deductible or since this device is less than a year old we still all have a 1 year warranty from samsung so u can call their tech support and they will have you try certain trouble shooting methods which has been mentioned here already but just play along lol once they see theres no turning back on they will send u a prepaid postage for you to send them your bricked phone and they will mess with it and eventually fix it via jtag. only issue is doing it with the samsung warranty means you will be without a phone for quite some time if i remember correctly i got a samsung indulge back in 3 weeks, so yea best to be patient but hey fixed for free and u cant complain lol.

metro guard: Pro- they can over night you a new phone and you will get it next business day. con- cost $130

samsung 1 year warranty: pro- fixed for free. con- gotta wait a long time :D

hopes this helps.

This is why I always kept a freeform as a backup. That way I would always have a phone. Still have that gaudy sucker too. :D

Reactions: biggoog
Upvote 0
the one they made for like the lg i thought yu can use it on any phone

tumblr_m7ja0xltbS1rq52vgo1_400.gif

damn....

Upvote 0
man yall be riding me like for almost a week.... i got a new one frm the 1-year warrtny soo im bk in the game so make a exitrecovery zip. plzz so we dnt have this promblem again

I'm sure everyone has been riding you not to rag on you but to make sure it never happens again...............by ragging on you. lol.

The thing is, a lot of us have done stupid things like that. Not saying everyone as I'm sure some people here are just so perfect they don't make mistakes............or admit them :D

But we have all been there. I couldn't tell you how many times I bricked my Ascend. But being it that it was unbrickable I was always able to get it back up. But still, It got that way a couple times because I was doing dumb things and flashing stuff I shouldn't have been flashing.

Moral of the story is when you play with fire your going to get burned. Make sure you fully understand what your putting on your phone if your unsure. Getting random files off the net and flashing them is just asking for trouble. If you cant find it here, xda, goo, etc... then I wouldn't touch it UNTIL you have posted a thread here getting advice. Every single person here is here to help one another. That's the beauty of this forum and that's what sets it aside from XDA. Do you know what would have happened if this was XDA and you posted this thread? :/ Oh boy.

I'm sure there is no hard feelings from anyone here. We all just want you to know the severity of what you did in hopes that you will learn from your mistakes. Don't be scared to mod and play with your phone. You just gotta be smart about it though. ;) If your ever unsure just post a thread and ask. That's all it takes. Patience my friend. Patience. ;)

Upvote 0
What is this exit recovery.zip anyways and why did he need it? I don't remember it from my esteem and connect days. Or is it the delooper? But why for the s3? We don't have a bootlooping problem??

It was used a lot for the Esteem. It was mainly used for CWM bootloop but could also be used when a phone wouldn't boot up but could get into recovery.

If you never saw it then you my friend are a careful one. ;)

My lovely post regarding the exit recovery.

http://androidforums.com/esteem-all...eset-read-first-exit-recovery-d-l-inside.html

Reactions: airtioteclint
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones