• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MLB AT BAT Android on sale in March

Upvote 0
So, I have a Cliq as well and audio for the Giants/M's game is not working. Everything else works fine, the video highlights look great. Not sure if I'm just getting poor reception, or if it's a problem with this particular game, or if it's Android 1.5 vs 2.1...

Anyway, I probably won't listen to too many ST games anyway, and the Cliq update for 2.1 should be coming in the next month or so, so hopefully it's not a big deal.

A couple of updates here. I was able to get the tail-end of the Giants/Mariners game on the way home yesterday. It may have been an issue with that particular game yesterday. Also, I contacted the fellas at the Biz of Baseball, who in-turn contacted MLB.com and here's their response:

"We support all Android OS versions. But 1.5, the oldest version of Android does not stream the audio in the same format as all other versions..."

So, I'm thinking the audio with the 1.5 OS might not be as reliable as more current operating systems. Again, most devices, Cliq, Hero, Moment, etc, etc are scheduled to have 2.0 or 2.1 releases at the end of the first quarter or the beginning of the 2nd and this resolve many of those issues.

Upvote 0
Is anyone listening to the Yank/Phils?
I have lost the stream about 15 times in 20 minutes. Just wondering if its just me

YES... i've been wondering if its a setting on my phone somewhere. like the whole application closes a couple minutes after my screen shuts off... can't find any settings that would make it do this though... VERY frustrating! i have a droid... sometimes the stream just cuts out and i can still see the mlb app in the top left corner but sometimes when i turn my screen back on the app icon isn't even shown as running... hmm.

Upvote 0
I wonder if androids ability yo use mock locations have anything to do with at bat not supporting live streaming. I mean isnt mock locations basically used to test location based devices? so in theory this can be used to bypass blackout restrictions and in turn cause lawsuit issues to the devs.

I can be wrong and it could be my misunderstanding of the mock location feature...

Upvote 0
I've still been having pretty regular audio issues with the app, am I the only one? It may just be a coincidence, but I swear that when I have the phone on the dock, the feed rarely cuts out; but if its in my pocket I have to restart the audio every few minutes. It always starts back up when prompted manually too...that's the really strange thing. The damn player doesn't seem to have an auto-reconnect feature; that would be very helpful.

I'm obviously not ready to complain or anything since it's just spring training, but it's definitely getting annoying. Also noticed that some stations' feeds (Cubs home feed comes to mind) cut out their commercials but leave only dead air, which is frankly even more boring than commercials, and occasionally confusing (have had to check several times whether feed went out after a several minutes of dead air). I know that's not the app's fault, just something I noticed as a first time user.

Upvote 0
Also noticed that some stations' feeds (Cubs home feed comes to mind) cut out their commercials but leave only dead air, which is frankly even more boring than commercials, and occasionally confusing (have had to check several times whether feed went out after a several minutes of dead air). I know that's not the app's fault, just something I noticed as a first time user.

Ok, but I ask you this, is the dead air more boring and more confusing than listening to Ron Santo? :)

Sorry, as a South Sider, I just HAD to get a Cubs jab in there :)

In regards to the audio issues, I sometimes have issues. Honestly, I haven't experimented with the audio all that much as of yet. I'm hopeful that MLB has this all ironed out (the audio issue, the non-refreshing of the play/box scores, etc) by April 4.

Upvote 0
I was more referring to an earlier comment I posted

"I wonder if androids ability yo use mock locations have anything to do with at bat not supporting live streaming. I mean isnt mock locations basically used to test location based devices? so in theory this can be used to bypass blackout restrictions and in turn cause lawsuit issues to the devs.

I can be wrong and it could be my misunderstanding of the mock location feature..."

Upvote 0
same for me, I have to reconnect ALL the time. sometimes several times over 10 minutes. Seems to happen almost always when phone goes to sleep. i have also noticed the field view is always way behind. obviously cant comment on the pitch view yet. they should test that now but my guess is spring training fields dont have the technology.

as for the audio, when working.. the yankee game was only about a half a pitch behind when watching on MLB network
so thats pretty damn good there.

Upvote 0
same for me, I have to reconnect ALL the time. sometimes several times over 10 minutes. Seems to happen almost always when phone goes to sleep. i have also noticed the field view is always way behind. obviously cant comment on the pitch view yet. they should test that now but my guess is spring training fields dont have the technology.

as for the audio, when working.. the yankee game was only about a half a pitch behind when watching on MLB network
so thats pretty damn good there.

I've noticed the audio doing that a lot using 3g. It doesn't happen near as much for me when I'm on wifi.

Upvote 0
wow the feedback in the market for this app is terrible.. MLB better fix it cause there is an uproar. for those that do have it. can you choose your home market broadcast? like if your team is on the road , do you have to listen to the other teams announcers?

Yeah. you can choose which announcers you want as long as they are available. Sometimes one isn't available but I'm assuming that is just because it is spring training and they might not be announcing the game.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones