• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Mobile Network (3G) Issue

Hi,

Over the last few days, my DHD hasn't seemed to be picking up 3G internet. It works fine when I connect to wifi but when I get out of range of wifi there is nothing.

When I go into Settings>Wireless & networks, the tick box saying 'Mobile network' is greyed out, with the box ticked and below just stating a message saying 'Turning on...' which usually last about 5 seconds when it would connect but this just seems to be jammed in the 'Turning on...' process.

I have tried restarting my phone, turning on aeroplane mode (no wireless signals) then turning it back on, for the 'mobile network' option to go back to 'Turning on...'

I have had a look around on the internet and haven't found anyone with the same problem, so would greatly appreciate some help :)

Thanks in advance,
Evan

I've had exactly the same issue and, like you, first noticed it just a few days ago. I wondered whether it might be a local network problem, but I see you are in Wales whereas I'm in London.

Which network are you on? I'm with Orange and signed-up for access to the T-Mobile network when Orange is unavailable... they are the same company and it's free for Orange users to do this. But, despite being able to use two networks, the problem has persisted, even in areas where I've previously always had good internet access.

I got the 2.2.1 upgrade when it first came out but hadn't ever experienced these connection problems until two or three days ago.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure it's not a local network problem as all my friends with other smartphones can all access 3G fine in my area.

Im with Vodafone and have never had a problem before now. But yeah as you mention, it can't be that as you got access to the 2 networks!

Yeah I also got the 2.2.1 update straight away and it was fine for a while so it cant be that.

Upvote 0
I've had exactly the same issue and, like you, first noticed it just a few days ago. I wondered whether it might be a local network problem, but I see you are in Wales whereas I'm in London.

Which network are you on? I'm with Orange and signed-up for access to the T-Mobile network when Orange is unavailable... they are the same company and it's free for Orange users to do this. But, despite being able to use two networks, the problem has persisted, even in areas where I've previously always had good internet access.

I got the 2.2.1 upgrade when it first came out but hadn't ever experienced these connection problems until two or three days ago.

if you are on t-mo or orange and have your network selection on "auto" you automatically select the network with the strongest signal. and if this isnt the network you are actually with (say t-mo subscriber and on orange), you wouldnt be able to connect to data network since the network sharing is only available for gsm/calls. i have two lines with t-mo and based out of london too, and internet works seamlessly on my devices as long as i am logged into t-mo.

Reactions: john_g
Upvote 0
Im pretty sure it's not a local network problem as all my friends with other smartphones can all access 3G fine in my area.

Im with Vodafone and have never had a problem before now. But yeah as you mention, it can't be that as you got access to the 2 networks!

Yeah I also got the 2.2.1 update straight away and it was fine for a while so it cant be that.

try using gsm only or wcdma only under mobile network settings. if you are on auto, sometimes there are issues connecting to mobile internet...

Upvote 0
Just to say that, for me at least, everything seems to have started working properly again. Yesterday Orange was blocking my access to most websites, including this one, because, according to the displayed message, they couldn't verify that I was 18! Today I can access all my bookmarks sites as normal and internet connectivity also seems to be working correctly.

Upvote 0
If you are using the Internet Access Point Name:
  • APN = internet
  • username = web
  • password = web
  • homepage = live.vodafone.com

Would it be possible to explain this in a bit more depth as I dont fully understand it.

Currently as I go into Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names I get something saying 'Contract WAP' with 'wap.vodafone.co.uk' written underneath.

If I then press it, it allows me to edit some of the settings, but the with the settings you mentioned, do I need to make a new APN or edit the original.

Thanks for your time :)

Upvote 0
This is my first post but I wanted to try and contribute something useful to the forum.

I had exactly the issue described here after updating my firmware to the most recent on the HTC wildfire.

It turns out that the access point has been disabled which results in not being able to get a mobile data connection. I did the following to resolve:

Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks>Access Point Names

Then select the little toggle button to enable the access point. Following this, return to the previous menu and enable Mobile Network. You will see "Turning on" for a few seconds then "Connected".

Job jobbed ;-) Hope this helps.

Reactions: anandv76
Upvote 0
Right, I tried what you suggested (making a new Access Point and editing the settings) which didn't work. I then switched it back to my old Access Point which is the wap.vodafone.co.uk and everything is now working fine! :)
Im not sure exactly what has happened but all I can think is when I switched to the new Access Point, the old one reset to the correct settings.
Thank you to everyone who helped in anyway, I don't know how I have coped with no 3G for the last few days!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones