• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Monkeyrunner cannot run shell. Why?

Steven81

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
Hello, I have a Vista machine that for reasons that are too lengthy to go into I cannot upgrade, at least not for the time being. So I'm stuck with it as my development machine and the weirdest of stuff happens.

I've written a basic monkeyrunner script that it's using shell commands (or at least tries too) and throws errors all over the place. As much as I've seached I found nothing and of course the script works in every other pc I've tried it, basic shell (device.shell() ) commands are hard to screw anyway (the command itself -of course runs anywhare)... yet here I am....

As I said the script is as simple as it can possibly be it runs everywhere I've tried it to, even those with identical ADT setups yet in mine, doesn't. The monkey is happy to run every other command you'd throw at it (button presses, wait, etc) and of course "adb shell" works great as ever ... what can the *general* reasons be for monkey to not be able run shell commands?

Thanks in advance

BTW the error lies in the chimpchat methods, but that's too be expected, even having it replaced -though- with a fresh chimpchat.jar from google it still shows error, so it's probably not there either...

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones