• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Most stable rooted 2.X ROM for the Droid Eris?

I've had almost no problems with Ivanmmj's Eris Official 1.0 w/overclocking. Its solid, stable, very close to stock. Works. Been running it since early May.

+1; Ivan's 1.0 is the most stable ROM I've flashed since rooting.

There's also a zip file courtesy of jcase that you can flash over a stock ROM that only adds superuser stuff without modifying anything else, so this would be as stable as the stock ROM is. I think it's called EngTools.zip or something along those lines.

Upvote 0
What issues did you have with Evil Eris? I've been running EE for weeks now and everything works beautifully.

Only issue I have occasionally is the GPS icon staying on which is easily fixable in under 3 seconds.

Other than that, EE is rock solid and speedy for me.

That is one of the problems I am having is the icons (GPS, USB, etc..) are staying up even when they are disconnected / not in use.

How are you fixing this?

The other issues I am having with Evil Eris v3 is the browser occasionally crashed which makes me open it again and navigate back to the page I was on to continue reading. Also there is some service that keeps crashing, I dont know what it is htc.something.bg ?? I will have to write it down next time it pops up.

Upvote 0
I have found no instability in xtrROMs, any of them (2.1.1, 3.0.1 and 3.0.3).

The only anomalies I've found in any ROM I've tried were those listed as "known issues" by the developers of said ROMs, such as the early KaosFroyo's LED bug and Pure Eris power down issue, etc.

Having said that, I did find 2.2 in any flavor to be sluggish on my device.

Upvote 0
I also run xtrROM, and after testing jit for two weeks, I have disabled it. It did noticeably increase my linpack score but the performance gains did not match. With jit off, my phone is more stable then ever. With a little overclocking the performance has dramatically improved.

Thanks. I'll probably do that as well. I really want to stay using this ROM, but don't want to toggle JIT all the time. Yep, I noticed nice Linpack scores with JIT on (~5.25). I'll disable JIT and see if it feels as snappy.

Upvote 0
Frisco, do you have JIT enabled on xtr? If so, have you run into any issues?

I am not a fan of JIT, not because I do not like it, but because I do not need it.

I've never enabled it on any ROM that featured it. Things are just so fast and snappy without it, and it is one less thing to worry about becoming buggy down the line, or having issues with what apps I may try, etc.

Upvote 0
Another vote for xtrROM ... it's fast and stable, a great job all around.

Right now I'm running it with JIT enabled and no overclocking, and it's been working fine for me. When I have a little more time I'm going to experiment with different overclocking settings, while likely turning JIT off. From my experience, people usually run into trouble mainly when they try pushing the performance envelope a little too hard, by combining JIT and a high clock speed.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'll probably do that as well. I really want to stay using this ROM, but don't want to toggle JIT all the time. Yep, I noticed nice Linpack scores with JIT on (~5.25). I'll disable JIT and see if it feels as snappy.

LED,
I have found that JIT will give much higher linpack scores but as far as real world performance gains it is minimal right now. There are too few programs that can make use of it. An example is the NFL app. It will not run with JIT enabled at all. And with football season approaching, I have to have it!! HAHA! I have disabled JIT and set my overclock to 729 and everything is running smoothly. The graphics and screen animations are actually smoother and the homescreens are more responsive.

Upvote 0
LED,
I have found that JIT will give much higher linpack scores but as far as real world performance gains it is minimal right now. There are too few programs that can make use of it. An example is the NFL app. It will not run with JIT enabled at all. And with football season approaching, I have to have it!! HAHA! I have disabled JIT and set my overclock to 729 and everything is running smoothly. The graphics and screen animations are actually smoother and the homescreens are more responsive.

I've disabled JIT and now DoggCatcher is working properly. I haven't run it that long, but it does seem every bit as fast and smooth as with JIT on. I'm running at 787 MHz. I agree, I gotta have the NFL app working too, haha. So far so good!

Upvote 0
i'm surprised no-one has mentioned this but my favorite rom is Zen-exp the only problem i have had is that it froze and had to pull the battery but that only happend 2 times in a month.

also it is really fast and flash 10.1 works great with it: Flash 10.1 on hero, port? [UPDATED WITH DOWNLOAD] - xda-developers
flash 10.1 is only for sense roms and i take absolutely no credit for it.

here is the link if anyone needs it:[ROM][05/27] ZenEXP-Eris Espresso ~Rev7~ [A2SD|Overclocking|Stable+Fast] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I have found no instability in xtrROMs, any of them (2.1.1, 3.0.1 and 3.0.3).

The only anomalies I've found in any ROM I've tried were those listed as "known issues" by the developers of said ROMs, such as the early KaosFroyo's LED bug and Pure Eris power down issue, etc.

Having said that, I did find 2.2 in any flavor to be sluggish on my device.
Could you please post a link to some of these xtrROMs. I've been reading a lot of good things about them and am eager to try them out:D thanx

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones