• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Moto G5+ to Pixel 2

I just bought a Pixel 2. How can I transfer my 200+ apps and most especially some of the apps' history (2 years of ski runs, my text messages/phone calls or my offline maps, for example) from my Motorola Moto G5+ to the Pixel 2? Supposedly google does automatic backups, but I have no idea what gets backed up or how to transfer it to the new phone if that's even possible.

You can learn about transferring apps and data from an Android phone to a Pixel here:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7129955

Note that you can only transfer/restore data during the initial setup of the phone. If you've already got the Pixel up and running then you'll need to first factory reset and then set it up again in order to get the transfer/restore options.

Reactions: bashley101
Upvote 0
I have to wonder why a developer would NOT so choose...

I wonder that too! There are unfortunately still quite a few developers who don't leverage that option, which is quite a shame since Google does all the heavy lifting so it's pretty easy to implement from a development standpoint. If you come across any of your app data that doesn't make it across, be sure to reach out to the developer of that app to find out why they don't use the Google backup thing. :)

Upvote 0
I just bought a Pixel 2. How can I transfer my 200+ apps and most especially some of the apps' history (2 years of ski runs, my text messages/phone calls or my offline maps, for example) from my Motorola Moto G5+ to the Pixel 2? Supposedly google does automatic backups, but I have no idea what gets backed up or how to transfer it to the new phone if that's even possible.
my friend also facing the issue if you found let me know

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones