• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Triumph Replacement Phone Experiences

I used Gdibig's recommendation to contact VMUSocialCare@sprint.com for warranty replacement assistance, and that worked nicely. Very prompt and courteous. I sent the e-mail late Friday evening (4/27/12), and the replacement arrived on Tuesday (5/1/12). The phone looks excellent (like new), but I'm pretty sure it's refurbished. It has an extra date sticker in the battery compartment, and it came in a simple white box, without a battery and micro-SD card. Unfortunately, the touchscreen has problems of its own. Below is the e-mail I just wrote to them:

Hello,

I want to thank you for the prompt delivery of the replacement Motorola Triumph. I have been testing it, using WiFi only, for several days, and unfortunately its touchscreen is unacceptably poor. Sometimes it does not respond to the first tap, but takes numerous taps of the same on-screen item to register one tap. The touchscreen often registers a tap about 1/8" to 1/4" away from the location tapped, which makes typing on the on-screen keyboard difficult and error-prone. I've also noticed, while typing on the on-screen keyboard, that it often registers not only the initial key tapped (or one nearby), but also "presses" an additional on-screen key a short distance away when I lift my finger up. This poor touchscreen performance also adversely affects cursor control in my TeamViewer Pro app, which I use to control computers from my smart phone. This strange behavior was confirmed by using a free Android app called "Touch Test". This app draws a grid on the screen, shows the current finger location as long crosshairs, and draws a bolder line, tracing finger movement, if one drags a finger across the screen. When I try to tap each intersection of the grid, a small bold trail is often left behind, which means the touch screen thinks I'm moving or dragging my finger, even though I'm only tapping.

My original Motorola Triumph, which I bought about 3 months ago, does not have these problems, and Touch Test shows that it has a well-behaved, relatively accurate touchscreen. Its only problem is that the touchscreen has become non-responsive several times -- once for almost 24 hours -- but ironically, ever since I requested a replacement it has been behaving perfectly.

I will not be returning my original Triumph, but will return the replacement you just sent me, instead. Sorry about wasting your shipping fees, but a little more quality control checking of the refurbished phone would have prevented your company from sending me this defective replacement. I'm going to observe my original Triumph, and if it continues to behave I will keep it. If it misbehaves again I will contact you again, and hope for a better replacement unit. Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Upvote 0
Yesterday I sent the not-quite-healthy replacement phone back to VM and today my original Triumph touchscreen locked up again. It's enough to make me think that electronic gremlins might actually exist. The touchscreen seems to lock up after I've carried the phone in my pocket for a while, so maybe it's a heat related problem? Still, I carried the original with me numerous times last week, without a hint of problems. It worked great as long as there was a replacement waiting to take its place.

Upvote 0
Yesterday I sent the not-quite-healthy replacement phone back to VM and today my original Triumph touchscreen locked up again. It's enough to make me think that electronic gremlins might actually exist. The touchscreen seems to lock up after I've carried the phone in my pocket for a while, so maybe it's a heat related problem? Still, I carried the original with me numerous times last week, without a hint of problems. It worked great as long as there was a replacement waiting to take its place.

I firmly believe in gremlins. What you describe is right up there with what happens to me a lot. Something's acting up, I call it to my husband's attention, and as soon as he's looking at it it self-corrects.

Upvote 0
Had a replacement that came in and the screen was non-responsive at times so I requested another. I also asked if they could send me a class-a replacement. They responded and said they could only send a class-a replacement if it has been 30 days or less since my activation. I've had my MT since September of last year.

Just got my replacement today and it was a brand new phone sealed in the box with all the accessories that it comes with lmao

Upvote 0
I'm setting on info that I'm not gonna share with everyone just yet but I'm on my 7th replacement. The replacement I received yesterday was brand new in a retail box. When I was talking to the guy to get a replacement he stated that my warranty will end April 2013. I got my phone october of last year. So I think my warranty started over when I activated another brand new replacement I was sent. I have yet to active the new replace. Anyone want to call up VM and ask about the warranty?
From my experiences with Virgin your warranty does restart upon receipt of a replacement, as I mentioned earlier I had an Intercept which was purchased 0n 10/10, while checking it over before selling it I discovered that it would not connect via wi-fi, Called Virgin and they shipped me out a replacement for a 11/2 year old phone. And throughout my 6 Triumph replacements every single one asked if I wished to purchase insurance after activating them.

Upvote 0
Can some of you report on the common issues on MTs and whether they're still on the newer ones and what the manufacturer date of your new one is?

I bought mine on release last year and USB stopped working 4 months out, then about a month ago it turned off and never turned back on or would even charge. That is par for the course for my experience with Motorola phones though... I never even ran a custom mod or rooted. As soon as I got my replacement from VM, I installed CM7... haha This new phone is mint though and got it overnight free. I doubt VM will carry another Motorola for a while. What's funny is my bro's Boost Samsung is a tank....

Upvote 0
Upon telling me they'd send me an class A device, they're now telling my account doesn't allow me to receive one. They're claiming they can only send a class B..wtf!!! What should I expect the class B to look like? IM assuming the A class was new...

They told me the same thing but sent me one anyway.

A class b is just the phone, no battery, battery cover or anything else and it comes in a simple white box. Class A usually comes in the original box.

Upvote 0
Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster. Actually registered just to tell how my replacement experience was. My first phone had all the classic MT problems, and then the vibrator broke which was the last straw for me. I took Gdibig's advice and emailed VMUSocialCare@sprint.com. Within 20 minutes I had a replacement being overnighted to me for free. Now that's good customer service. Got a brand new replacement, which out if the box had charging issues. Emailed them back and they overnighted me another one, new in the box again. This one is having issues waking from sleep, but I'm going to assume it's miui and try CM7 before sending this one back. You only send the phone unit back, nothing else, so now I've got two extra chargers, batteries, and sd cards :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster. Actually registered just to tell how my replacement experience was. My first phone had all the classic MT problems, and then the vibrator broke which was the last straw for me. I took Gdibig's advice and emailed VMUSocialCare@sprint.com. Within 20 minutes I had a replacement being overnighted to me for free. Now that's good customer service. Got a brand new replacement, which out if the box had charging issues. Emailed them back and they overnighted me another one, new in the box again. This one is having issues waking from sleep, but I'm going to assume it's miui and try CM7 before sending this one back. You only send the phone unit back, nothing else, so now I've got two extra chargers, batteries, and sd cards :D

Did they overnight you another one before you sent the initial replacement back or after??

Upvote 0
I had two new replacements, and when that one wouldn't take a charge they sent me a refurbished Class C. As much as I hate to admit it, the Class C is the best one I've had so far, but it is having reboot issues now after a couple weeks. I emailed Sprint again at the aforementioned email address and kind of chewed them out, something along the lines of "if all the new ones I've had didn't work what made you think a refurb would be better" and demanded they send me a new Class A phone again because this one is rebooting up to 5x a day (on the stock ROM!). Much to my surprise they emailed back apologizing and promised to send a Class A immediately. So I'll let you know how that goes.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I just called earlier tonight to get mine replaced. It was starting to have charging issues (which it didn't have at all when I first got it) and it was starting to get some dust under the screen (or whatever that issue is). Neither were really bad, but if it is under warranty, better to replace it for free when I can.

I had to call customer service twice. The first time I got an idiot that told me to do a battery pull (I was calling from the phone, doesn't really work well for me to do that! :p). He said I would have to call back on another phone so I could do those steps.

The second time, I got someone who was smarter. When I told her I had a Motorola Triumph she said "Oh..." with an inflection that made me think she saw something bad pulling that up. But she was pretty quick to get me a replacement (without needing to pull the battery or anything). It took maybe 30 minutes for both calls. That includes waiting on hold for a bit each time to be transferred. Overall not bad. Get a replacement within 1-2 days. I would say it was excellent customer service except for 2 things. 1: The moron I talked to the first time, he was really quite stupid. 2: the fact that you have to call an automated menu and deal with that for a couple minutes before you can talk to someone in person. So, I would say it was merely pretty good customer service in my experience. Much better than most I have had to deal with.

I think I bricked my phone & if I call & say something else is wrong with it, won't they try to make me call Motorola, because mine is still within my one year warranty?? How did you get one straight from VM? Also do you think they'll be able to tell that I hacked it? I've been searching and searching on here and all around the web on how to unbrick this supposedly unbrickable phone, to no avail tho :(

Upvote 0
To get a new phone within the one year warranty time frame, won't VM make you call motorola to get it thru them? If not how are people getting replacements from just calling and speaking to VM?

Not sure about fixing your brick... Sorry. But virgin handles the warranty process, no Motorola involvement. I don't know the phone number but i used the email address for virgin that someone had a while back in this thread. Just do a quick search. Just tell them that it stopped turning on and don't mention anything about it being bricked. They don't ask if you hacked it but I get the feeling they don't really care anyway. I think they know Motorola has such a crappy product that it's most likely a hardware issue. I've sent back three phones with custom roms and recoveries with no problems :)

Upvote 0
Not sure about fixing your brick... Sorry. But virgin handles the warranty process, no Motorola involvement. I don't know the phone number but i used the email address for virgin that someone had a while back in this thread. Just do a quick search. Just tell them that it stopped turning on and don't mention anything about it being bricked. They don't ask if you hacked it but I get the feeling they don't really care anyway. I think they know Motorola has such a crappy product that it's most likely a hardware issue. I've sent back three phones with custom roms and recoveries with no problems :)

Ok thank you for answering me on this! But I thought I had bricked my phone before(found out it wasn't) I called before I knew it wasn't & they knew I had insurance but was still under warranty & told me it was a motorola claim/problem & told me to contact them! Thats why I was wondering I saw all these people on here saying they got new phones from virgin without having to deal w/ VM!

Upvote 0
I was on my fourth replacement, all refurbs. I complained to their customer care page on Twitter and finally was told I'd receive a brand new to replace since I was having recurring issues with refurbs. They sent me a "brand new" MT in a new box with accessories but the pull tab you pull to open wasn't glued down. I quickly noticed the phone was a refurb as well because of the diagonal lines and grid of dots on the screen, you can see it when angled right against light.

I'm switching to the mother company, Sprint.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones