MotoTorch LED 2.0 released - FREE FOR 3 DAYS

Last Updated:

1. darth_cholo

darth_cholo Active Member

I actually thought it was already the max brightness. I didn't know it wasn't until mentioned here.

Looking forward to that.

2. eclipsed4utoo

eclipsed4utoo Well-Known Member

By default, the screen does not dim. To dim the screen, open the application and check the checkbox to dim the screen.
  3. RgnKjnVA

RgnKjnVA Active Member

Great app!

One word of caution though regarding full brightness on the LED. Another LED flashlight thread had come across some documentation warning that using the torch feature at full brightness for extended lengths of time could damage the LED. Problem is, there weren't many specifics on how long that is or how much brightness could be applied safely. Take it for what it's worth but may be worth some googling before implementing.

BTW No problem with screen timeout here. My settings persist after using MotoTorch.

OH YEAH! Please turn that torch icon right-side up though! I feel like I'm gonna burn my arm...or thumb I guess heh heh
  4. eclipsed4utoo

This is actually a feature that I wanted to look into.
  5. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

Yea, I see that, my question is why does the screen brighten?
  6. eclipsed4utoo

Are you asking why the screen brightens with the checkbox checked? Or are you asking why it brightens when the checkbox is not checked?
  7. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

Great app! I'll donate just because your giving it away free.
  8. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

The checkbox does nothing... the screen still defaults to max brightness as soon as the light is turned on regardless of the box being checked.
  9. eclipsed4utoo

Do you have Automatic Brightness turned on? Settings --> Sound and Display --> Brightness --> Automatic Brightness checkbox.
  10. drpull

drpull Member

I think that if your phone is set to auto brightness, the screen will get brighter because the LEDs are firing right next to the sensor... the brighter the sensor thinks it is, the brighter the screen gets. If i'm not mistaken, the "dim screen" just makes the timeout temporarily set to a few seconds. Yes? No?
  11. eclipsed4utoo

That is correct. I simply set the screen timeout to 1 second and let the device actual naturally to that setting.

I have noticed that having the auto brightness on does render the screen timeout ineffective.
  12. jedidove

jedidove Member

I use auto brightness as well, but whats nice about this app is that you can just turn the screen off and keep the lights on. One thing I did notice though is that after toggling the dim feature, it seemed as if it permanently changed the timeout, i.e. I had to go back into settings and switch it, lest my screen keep turning off.

I'm glad to hear that you wanted to implement that camera morse code reading function. I would consider doing it myself but its been awhile since I've programmed anything and I'm brand new to android so I wouldn't even know where to begin for such a complex feature. Do you plan to actively work on it? Of course it begs the question of audio morse code and using the mic to read input though I think that is certainly out of the scope of this app.
  13. rawness

I'm talking about when the box is NOT checked.

FTR, the auto-dim works as described, I just have my phone code-locked, and I'm not sure I want it to turn off. Also, it is reverting back to auto-brightness correctly.
  14. rawness

Ohhhhhhh, OK. Would it be possible to set it to min brightness (not blank screen)?

Actually, I may keep my phone set to min brightness; I'll have to see how it looks during the day.
  15. eclipsed4utoo

actively working on it? Not right now. Got a couple of other things that I need to get it. I would believe that it's a very advanced feature, getting close to Augmented Reality(interpreting what the camera is viewing). Doubt it would be something I would be able to pick up so early in my Android development.
  16. jedidove

jedidove Member

Bummer, understandable though. It does seem very advanced. Anyone else have a good idea as to how to approach such a feature? Or know of apps with similar functionality?

Oh and +1 to the list of those wanting a right side up torch ;)
  17. n9zez

n9zez Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks!
  18. Soultics

Soultics Well-Known Member

The screen gets brighter because you have auto-brightness setting on. When the camera detects light, or lack of, the screens brightness changes. The camera sees the LED and thinks its very bright, therefore brightening the screen. (Sorry if someone posted this, I'd seen it several times)
  19. Silverwing

Silverwing Well-Known Member

If anybody can find me the name of the LED and how much voltage the maximum setting feeds it, I can figure out if it harms the LED to run the light at max strength for prolonged amounts of time. At this point, with the amount of information available to me it is hard to tell if there would be any adverse effects to the LED at any setting that the phone can run the LED at.
  20. Bg8780

Bg8780 Active Member

Great App I will be donating via Paypal. Looking forward to future updates! :)
  21. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Awesome app! Can you add text on the bottom of the widget?
  22. MSU

MSU Well-Known Member

I like it! Good job.
  23. eclipsed4utoo

thought I would respond since I can't remember if I responded. I am putting this on the list. I am thinking of having two widgets: the current simple widget, and then an "advanced" widget. They would both show up in the widgets list so you would be able to choose which one you like. The advanced would probably take up 2 or 3 screen spaces(like more of the larger widgets) to allow for multiple buttons.

so this is on the list.
  24. Wakey

Wakey Well-Known Member

Thank you!
  25. Bigmatt

Bigmatt Member

Thank you! Nice job!!:D