• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Move a file out of "Miscellaneous Files"?

Bloodwolv

Lurker
Jan 20, 2016
First time here, so sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place.

A friend was playing around with some files on their Samsung tab3 and changed the name of their "Pictures" folder to ".Pictures.". Now the file has been relocated into the "Miscellaneous Files". Is there any way i can locate this file, rename it and move it back where it belongs?

I have tried searching for the file both from the device and from the computer via USB. Even with "View hidden folders" enabled on the computer, still nothing shows. Google hasn't been to helpful as every link that contains the word "Miscellaneous" is about deleting misc files. I have also attempted to manually browse the tablets file structures from the computer, opening every folder... there are a lot of folders...

TL;DR: Does anyone know the exact file path for "Miscellaneous Files? Is there a way i can move a file out of "Miscellaneous Files"?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

"Miscellaneous files" isn't a location - it just means "anything that isn't recognised as an app, photo, video or music, no matter what or where it is".

Adding a "." to the start of the name makes that a hidden folder, and I guess has confused your storage tool. A good file explorer set to show hidden files and folders should find it, and then just remove the "." from the name. Viewing over an MTP link from a PC may not be really letting you see hidden folders (test: how many others starting with "." do you see? There are some, so if you don't see any it's not really showing hidden files).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones