• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My convo. w/ VZW store manager

This is a quote by a user from the Verizon Wireless forums.... Don't shoot the messenger :eek:

I spent most of all day yesterday on the phone and waiting for return phone calls from Verizon. I will have to admit that they did answer all of my questions.
The 2.1 is out for the Moto Droid. It is being put out in 25,000 groups. From what I understand. He might have said 250,000, I am not sure. I would assume the older customers are going to be upgraded first.
Now for the bad news. Us Eris users. HTC told this rep that the 2.1 would be available no later than the end of April. It should be sooner, but they couldn't promise that. How it will be sent out, they are not sure yet. They are sure it will be sent out in "blocks" but nothing on how many at a time yet.
For those waiting for the Incredible. HTC is still testing it. They have till June to finish the testing and promote the phone. Verizon has not accepted the phone yet and not sure they even will take it. Depends on the results of the testing.
They have no plans even if they do accept it to offer it as an upgrade as of now. So... the Eris users are the ones that get the shaft this time if Verizon does pick up the Incredible.

Needless to say, if the Incredible really isn't coming out until June, I'm as good as gone to Sprint. If they can't get this phone out in the next couple weeks, they have some serious problems within the company. The Android line-up is becoming stagnant. They're about to be the last major wireless provider to offer service with the Nexus One. As far as I can tell, the priorities from the leadership are shoving blackberries down are throats or enticing us to buy into hardware from a sinking ship (Palm). I swear Verizon is holding out on me in hopes that my Razr dies and I'm forced to help them clear another unit from their existing territory.

Upvote 0
I already posted this in the "Unofficial" Incredible forum, but thought you guys might get a kick out of it:

So, like most of you, I have both e-mailed Verizon and dropped into various stores in a vain attempt to gather intel.

At one store I met a guy who was just as excited as us about the Incredible, but had no official info. He was hoping I knew some things that he didn't. He says he checks the tech blogs every couple of hours hoping for some news.

Via e-mail I continue to get the canned responses as all of you, with the exception of one CSR who advised me to sign up my e-mail on the google.com/phone link for faster news on the NeXus One release.

I've even tried being charming and clever (on like my 5th reply to their canned responses I said "What's one little unofficial release date between friends?" I then gave them my home phone number and said "No caller ID on this line, just call it, mask your voice, and give me a date, a number, anything." Their reply to that basically amounted to "go to hell".

So, it's time for a new tactic. I call it the "Righteous Indignation" play. Here's a copy of my most recent e-mail:

"Dear Sir or Madaam,

(Before you begin reading I'll advise you to just escalate this to someone who can give me something other than a canned answer... thanks.)

How dare you! Seriously, how arrogant does Verizon need to be to just rest on your laurels and your "superior" network and allow, not just one, but two MASSIVE wireless trade shows go by without announcing any new smartphones? How can you just sit there while every other US carrier uses these events to make the world look their way? AT&T gets the HTC Desire, T-Mobile gets the HTC HD2, Sprint gets the incredible HTC EVO 4G, and what does Verizon get? Skype... yippee...

What the heck are you thinking? Seriously, what is your business plan exactly? I really though you guys were turning over a new leaf and heading in the right direction when you announced the Droids, but here we are 6 months later and you are at the back of the pack again when it comes to good hardwear. My contract is up in May, and right now you guys are giving me exactly zero reasons to stay.

Are you guys in this game or not? Because you sure don't seem like you're playing to win..."

So, what do you think? Think it will work? No, probably not. But it sure did make me feel better! :D

Upvote 0
Hey, all. :) First time poster. I found myself in front of a verizon store today as well. I decided to go in and ask if any new phones were announced today. While they did look at me like I had three heads, they were very nice. They said there was nothing new, they admired my dare, and tried to sway me on the devour. um, no thanks. they did know about the Incredible, they asked me if I thought it would replace the Eris. Then they asked me why I wanted one so much, especially over Droid. I thanked them for their time and said I 'd see them soon when my upgrade date kicks in.

Upvote 0
OK...can we all just agree that any news from a "verizon guy" is pure speculation? They are all reading the web...and everything on the web starts in this forum...

Here is what MY verizon guy said today.....he is a personal friend for over 20 years and he owns a verizon store. I finally thought we were close enough to release to ask him about it.

He said:

I'm looking into it but nothing on the order site yet. I'll let you know what I find. I did see that the iPhone is coming this summer!!

How is it possible that he knows nothing about the N1 or Incredible, but does know that the iPhone is coming? There hasn't been a single definite source saying that, yet these two Android phones have been tracked for months now? Seems odd to me.

Upvote 0
How is it possible that he knows nothing about the N1 or Incredible, but does know that the iPhone is coming? There hasn't been a single definite source saying that, yet these two Android phones have been tracked for months now? Seems odd to me.

He didn't say he knew nothing about the phones, he said there was nothign on his order site. So i thne sent him a link to the picture showing stock in the verizon warehouse.

He fbooked me that he had a call into the head of the warehouse and when he heard back he would let me know. So today i got this from him.

Hope it helps:D

We will have it in stock within a month! Not sure of pricing yet.

Reactions: xfuchsiax
Upvote 0
I talked to a Verizon person today at the store and got the even if i knew anything I wouldnt be able to tell you anything its company policy. Verizon is really sucking on this one and they need to do something or they are going to be losing alot of customers due to lack of phones to meet the competitors

did you not read my post??? its coming....i am not someone who just walked into a store, and my source is not some kid being told to keep his mouth shut.

Upvote 0
If miniSQ is right, then this brings up a whole new decision. Pick up one of these two phones hopefully this month...April 30th I'm guessing. Or wait just a little longer to see how the Verizon iPhone plays out. I know it's an Android forum, but there's a really nice dock for my Z4 that the iPhone would just pop right into. I'm not a fanboy, just a tech lover, so whichever phone suits me better is fine. Just seems like I can string this along for another 9 months if I wanted to. :(

Upvote 0
The truth of the matter is this if a phone was coming out in a day or so the verizon stores reps and phone reps would tell you it was coming out. They would have it in the store and they would try to set an appointment with you to sell it. If they are talking about announcing release dates the are speculating. Because they change there minds all the time. I talk to a verizon rep back in October about the storm 2. He showed me an email with a Oct 21st release date (give or take a couple days). I came back in on that date to look at it and he showed me another email showing the release date pushed back to the date it was actually launched on Oct 26th. It doesnt matter if its Verizon/ATT/Tmobile/Sprint who ever the status of these thing change daily. They set goals but the are not always met. So like you have heard a thousand of times until they advertise it or rep sets an appointment with you to sell you one it not coming out within a short time frame.(A week or less)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones