My Eris is slowing down...General

Last Updated:

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nothing wacky installed

Too often, it takes this thing several seconds to respond to a button push - soft or hard. It was never a problem in 1.5, and in 2.1 has steadily deteriorated (at least, that's my perception).

The idea of a hard reset and full re-install of everything is hateful. Can you suggest ways to get the thing back into overdrive?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I would delete all your SMS messages and kill your browser (with a task manager) and see how that goes first.

Of all the apps on the phone, the browser seems to suck up most RAM, especially if it has been alive for a while.

Then, turn off searching of things like e-mail (esp. if you have a lot of it).

That's a start, there's probably more.

eu1

3. cmhobbz

cmhobbz Active Member

I too noticed my Eris beginning to slow to a crawl... even the Phone was becoming very laggy. I have always cleared my cache on a weekly basis, but another thread on here suggested the download of an app called HistoryEraser. This has helped... but still not to my liking. Not until tonight did I find the culprit... it was Handcent. I uninstalled and went back to the stock Messages app and immediately noticed a major improvement in every aspect of the phone. Do you have Handcent installed by chance?

Eris 2.1

4. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

ROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOTROOT and overclock! Assuming you have OTA and not one of the leaks

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

I hadn't cleaned-out my Internet cache for a while and just freed-up 25MB of memory (settings -> applications -> manager applications -> Internet -> Clear Cache).

6. lostpilot28

lostpilot28 Member

Mine gets slow if the RAM drops under 30 MB. Get System Panel or something and you will see this for yourself. Button presses, screen changes, dialing, etc...they all get laggy at less than 30 MB. Either shut off your phone and restart it, or use system panel or something to kill unused apps. It's a serious PITA...I wish I could root.

7. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

Also clean out your call history regularly or use an app like Call Trimmer.

If you haven't done a hard reset, I would do it, PITA or not. It definitely cured some of my issues though I still have occasional random restarts and the silent call problem.

8. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I understand the reluctance to do a data reset, but that is just about the best medicine for many listed bugs and abnormal behaviors, such as slow-downs, that there is, besides good old maintenance as noted by others in this thread.

Back up everything, if you do decide to use that method.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

As a more thorough option, rooting causes you device to enter into a different realm entirely, in which there is a vast range of capabilities, as opposed to being reliant on the areas of input and modifications that the factory developers decided to give us, including methods of speeding things up.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/

9. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

if youre not going to root:

keep call history to minimum. go into settings>manage applications, delete google maps cache and browser cache. also delete dialer cache. that should speed you up . but the only facking problem is, this isnt a permanent fix.

remember this procedure as you will be doing it alot with the eris.

10. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

i think all eris' get the random restart. idk why, i just have a hunch. To me the eris is a very low end android phone. technically it is capable of doing alot of things, but the hardware lags it down..

11. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

25 MB?????? WHOA!!

Some dont have that much free space after clearing the cache

12. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

Haha. Another Handcent problem. Although when I had it I didn't notice my phone slowing down. I guess it's possible though. And if you can live without Sense go to the stock home or install ADW Launcher. That will help, as Sense slows the phone down a lot too sometimes. I wish I could, but I just can't deal without the HTC widgets. I love them too much lol

13. scary alien

lol! :D root rocks, eh?! Yeah, it took me from about 75MB free to about 99MB (woot!).

Ivan's ROM (and others) give you so much space after removing bloatware...I haven't even been tempted to play with a2sd (yet).

14. cableguynoe

What exactly did you remove?

15. scary alien

Oh, not stuff that I removed--stuff that Ivan removed when building his ROM (apparently, the Amazon .apk was the biggie--huge memory hog). Sorry for the confusion. There is stuff that I might remove eventually that I don't use (Facebook, Twitter stuff, etc.).

16. Frisco

In Senseable 3.1 all that was really left for me to get rid of was Peep. Amazon and all that other garbagola is already gone in that ROM.

I kept looking around in application manager for more junk, thinking just the icons were gone from the app drawer. :D

17. cableguynoe

Got it!

How you liking Senseable? Haven't tried that one...

18. Frisco

Of the three ROMS I've had, this one is the best for me and my phone.

I'm astounded at the speed and cannot wait to see my friend with her Nexus One on Monday just to compare again. I did that yesterday when I was running the original ROM linked in the rooting instructions and my Eris seemed to compare well with her phone in many areas, such as just going from home to the menus and fooling around in the app drawer.

Senseable 3.1 is definitely faster yet than the original ROM, and even faster than Evil Eris 3. I'm certain that it was put together with speed in mind.

19. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Silly question for those that have rooted, but is everything wiped on the root and subsequent ROMs? Apps, contacts, etc.?

20. Frisco

Most ROM flashing requires a wipe as a part of the process.

I was gratified to find that not all have that requirement, such as Senseable 3.1, because I'd spent a bit of time getting things the way I like them in Evil Eris 3.

After flashing Senseable 3.1, all of my settings were intact.

[ROM]Sense-able 3.1! OverClock [5/10/10] - xda-developers

bjanow likes this.
  21. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

I use an app called memory booster lite. Helps!

22. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

personally i didnt like evil eris, its just a stock eris with some minor tweaks.
    Senseable is cool.
    cyanogenic i think was the one i liked the most, he had a vanilla android rom with 149 mb free right off the bat. the eris loved that rom.

23. afoualer

afoualer Banned

Yeah MemoryBooster is a handy memory optimizer tool that will keep your Android smartphone running faster and efficiently, BTW It also can save battery after using for several days. Also If you like you can try Startup Manager, It is a task killer and it's totally free. :p

24. jjrrhh1

jjrrhh1 Member

I have Android system info app says I have ing 18% RAM when I go to manage applications through settings. There are a lot of apps that I don't know what they are and no way to delete

25. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

I just reflashed my phone back to stock 2.1 today and its jamming fast again..