• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first impression of the nex s

xs301

Dec 28, 2010
So I just moved from a slide to the nexus a week ago. During this time, I have decided the nexus is probably not for me. After taking a road trip, I had numerous dropped calls on a drive where I never used to get them. It got so bad, that at one point, it was dropping my call every two to three seconds after connecting.

The next issue I have had with the phone is that it is somewhat laggy. When I press command buttons in the browser, there can be up to a few seconds delay. Even as I type this on my phone, the phone is slow to respond to my inputs by almost a full second most of the time and up to two seconds randomly.

I waited before buying the phone to make sure there wouldn't be any issues and read reviews, forums, etc. But I guess I wonder how many people have taken a road trip using the phone to see how often it drops calls? Maybe I am one of the first to notice this issue? I guess if a phone can't do it's primary function, be a phone, then it isn't for me. I could deal with the lag, just not the dropped calls.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? When I called best buy to verify their return policy, the agent told me he has had numerous complaints of the same issue.

Reactions: Mr Nexy
I guess it could be an app. Sor far I have only installed Pandora, Weatherbug, and AK Notepad. Somehow it doesn't seem right that one of those would be causing the issue.

I think the problem is with either the phone not switching between towers correctly, or just the radio antena. The issue only comes up when I am driving. It will go from full signal down to zero, then back up to full strength. During this time, the call will drop. Also, my brother has the Vibrant, and we had the same signal at his house (one bar). With my slide, I will go from 3 to 4 bars (full strength) when I am there.

As far as the rest of the phone, other than the slow responses, I like it a lot. I like the feel (doesn't feel cheap like people say), the screen (although a little yellow tint to it), vanilla android, and the size is perfect.

I want to keep the phone and hope some sort of software update comes out for it to fix the tower transitions, but I also don't want to hold onto it thinking it'll happen and it never does. I am not too much of a tech person, but what if it is another Samsung fatal flaw? I never have had this issue with my previous Android phones. I had an old Nokia that did this which I dealt with for a year back in 2000. But before that and since then, no problems on T-Mobile.

Also, Wifi signal is 75% of what my slide had. Still useable in my house and not an issue. But one thing I noticed might be for people with bigger homes.

Reactions: Mr Nexy
Upvote 0
So I just moved from a slide to the nexus a week ago. During this time, I have decided the nexus is probably not for me. After taking a road trip, I had numerous dropped calls on a drive where I never used to get them. It got so bad, that at one point, it was dropping my call every two to three seconds after connecting.

The next issue I have had with the phone is that it is somewhat laggy. When I press command buttons in the browser, there can be up to a few seconds delay. Even as I type this on my phone, the phone is slow to respond to my inputs by almost a full second most of the time and up to two seconds randomly.

I waited before buying the phone to make sure there wouldn't be any issues and read reviews, forums, etc. But I guess I wonder how many people have taken a road trip using the phone to see how often it drops calls? Maybe I am one of the first to notice this issue? I guess if a phone can't do it's primary function, be a phone, then it isn't for me. I could deal with the lag, just not the dropped calls.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? When I called best buy to verify their return policy, the agent told me he has had numerous complaints of the same issue.

The only time I had seen lag on my phone is when I was playing games and had like 10 things running in the background that are trying to sync or whatever but that happens with any phone so can't really complain about it. I haven't had not one drop call yet with this phone and Im in san antonio. The signal isactually better than a lot of other phones. I now get solid 3G with this phone at my house and when driving but of course there are edge spots but that soon should be a non issue so long as t-mobile upgrades all their towers. You could always get a signal booster if your reception isn't too great. Certain live wall papers also add to lag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones