• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My guide to Perm Rooting, ROM, overclock that anyone can follow!

chrlswltrs

Extreme Android User
Nov 12, 2009
Seattle
First Rooting:

Universal Android Temp Rooting Method (Visionary Method) (Updated 12.01.10) | TheUnlockr

Download Visionary Rooting app there and follow directions.

You will also need a file explorer from the market. I recommend buying Root Explorer (Root Explorer (File Manager) - Android app on AppBrain) since you are going to want it after you are rooted anyways. If you don't want to buy it then my recommendation is Explorer (Explorer - Android app on AppBrain) which is the free version of the same app for the SD card only.

*On step 9 I left everything unchecked and it worked fine.

S=off (required to load a custom ROM)

Guide to permaroot, s=off AND s=on!!!!! - xda-developers

For this I recommend using Terminal Emulator (Android Terminal Emulator - Android app on AppBrain)

After you download the root.rar file and unzip it, move the 2 files inside it to the root of your SDcard, then skip to step 3a-d. Turn your phone off.

Boot your phone into the bootloader menu (hold volume down and power) and check at the top it should say S=off. As long as it says that you have permanent root and are ready for a custom ROM!

Custom ROM:

Iced glacier - xda-developers

This is the ROM I personally use and enjoy. It is overclocked by default. I recommend using setCPU (SetCPU for Root Users - Android app on AppBrain) to adjust your overclocking.

Any questions or need some help please PM me. There doesn't seem to be as much support for this phone as some of the others I have had so I am stepping up to help out anyone that needs it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones