• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My opinion about HTC Desire.

to the OP on battery life.
i usually get a good TWO DAYS out of mine which i think is awesome but then i don't have 3g or instant updating to FB or gmail either.
although i do have a live wallpaper going.

and from my experience, using ADVANCED TASK KILLER, u can kill virtually any app.
when installing apps, its best to install them one at a time and use it for a bit as i have had an app or two just suck my battery dry and this way its easy to know which one it is and just uninstall.

these smart phones are like little computers and it takes time to iron out the kinks and learn it all :)

Upvote 0
Thulsadoom

Calibrate your keyboard, it does make a ton of difference. What are you trying to change that you can't? I'm coming from a dumbphone but I have not hit the limit of customization in the ~2 weeks I've had it. I just rooted, so now I have even more options.

The pre-loaded HTC stuff makes the phone better IMO. Sure, I could care less about a stock ticker, but as far as I can tell it's not doing anything in the background. I love the sense UI, the power widgets, and the friend feed. It's all fast, all looks good, and simple to change.

My battery life under normal use is a day(ish). This includes a lot of time doing nothing at work and 2-4 hours of web when not at work, and a good amount of roaming since I drive 300km+ per day with the phone on and reciving 3g and cell coverage. Normally im at 20-40% at the end of the day. My phone died this weekend because my charger was across town in my car. This frustrated the wife, but would not have been a problem if I had skipped the bar and charged it. Since I would get 2 days out of my dumbphone, and have had ones with only 1day, this seems like a good tradeoff. If anyone is thinking of an HTC phone and battery life is super important, the hero is 1/2 the phone of the desire and I got much better battery life from it.

Upvote 0
...Because we know how Android works? Google engineers have explained the OS' memory management (processes running in the background do not use CPU cycles and therefore no battery). Killing tasks accomplish nothing. Many processes need to be on to listen for updates/push e-mails/widget updates. You seem to think more like a Windows user, if anything, and this is coming from a Windows user. ...

Do you have a link to where thats explained. I'm curious how you can run a process (not an application) without using a CPU cycle.

I understand that the applications are not tightly couple to processes, so an application might appear to be running, where in fact its process aren't. Also that Android kills processes, or keeps them running as it decides rather than when the application is running or not.

I don't get how you can have a process running without using the a CPU cycle. I know nothing about Android, I'm just curious.

Upvote 0
Do you have a link to where thats explained. I'm curious how you can run a process (not an application) without using a CPU cycle.

I understand that the applications are not tightly couple to processes, so an application might appear to be running, where in fact its process aren't. Also that Android kills processes, or keeps them running as it decides rather than when the application is running or not.

I don't get how you can have a process running without using the a CPU cycle. I know nothing about Android, I'm just curious.

Here you go

Upvote 0
Thanks for the helpful comments, ajanu. At least you're not being sarcastic lol! ;)

On the calibration, I've done it a few times. Think it's about as calibrated as it can be lol! I'm just being picky, because I'm too used to how precise the HD's pressure sensitive screen was. I'm using ultra keyboard on the Desire at the moment, which while not perfect, is certainly better than the stock keyboard (at least it has smileys and a few other things, without having to go through several different options). I think the surface customisation is definitely superior to the HD, but just the little settings that you can tweak don't seem to match the HD (or at least not in finding and changing them easily). In all honesty, though, they're more than good enough.

The texting system is certainly worse, though. The HD/windows system with easy options to see things like sent/draft/received/outgoing etc. are clearer and easier, as well as options for sorting them and going back through conversations and whatnot. It's just generally clearer what's going on.

Most of those issues wouldn't have bothered me too much though. Every phone has a phase of getting used to it. It's just those basic things like signal problems(It is primarily a phone, after all lol!) and the damn memory card problem. I mean, I can swap out the card and put in a new one, or re-format, but if it's going to be a semi regular problem as comments on other forums seem to suggest, then it's a pain. I was looking forward to getting a 32gb card and storing more music on it, but who wants to go to that expense, if it's going to either ruin it or at least need it reformatting fairly regularly? Not to mention the pain of losing any files stored on it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the sense interface and ease of organising the widgets and things. On the surface it is a superior phone, and fun to use. And the internet is far faster (in terms of interaction). Its just those few major pains that added toh the few minor ones that would've otherwise been forgettable, are making me less than impressed with it. ;)

Upvote 0
Well, as a for instance, how about a broadcast receiver ? While its waiting for the event that triggers it it isn't using any CPU cycles. It's similar to processes under Linux sleeping - they're resident in memory but they're not using any CPU.

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but AFAIK thats not a "running process". But When it does run its in the foreground and uses CPU cycles.

....(processes running in the background do not use CPU cycles and therefore no battery).....

If the comment was applications in the background may not be running processes. Then fair enough. But a running process, has to be well, running, thus has to be using cpu cycles and the battery. Otherwise, it wouldn't be well, running.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but AFAIK thats not a "running process". But When it does run its in the foreground and uses CPU cycles.

If the comment was applications in the background may not be running processes. Then fair enough. But a running process, has to be well, running, thus has to be using cpu cycles and the battery. Otherwise, it wouldn't be well, running.

Oh I see, you're just being pedantic. Never mind.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones