• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help my phone is completely useless and I am desperate

starfoxxe

Lurker
Aug 29, 2015
I have an android milano with numerous issues. First I will outline the specifications, then the problems.

- model number c5120
- android version 2.3.6
- software version 1.000bt
- hardware version 0305
- baseband version 1.000
- kernal 2.6.35.7 released jan 23, 2013
- build number grk39f

Now onto the numerous issues I'm having. Let me start by saying that I've contacted my carrier (boost mobile) which, when I can actually manage to get through to a human, directs me to someone who can barely speak english, wastes hours of my time telling me to do things I've already tried, and in the end tells me to get a new phone (or skips the trial and error part since most of them don't know how to work the phones). I'm turning to you here because I'm crossing my fingers that you can help me avoid fully replacing my phone which I cannot afford anytime soon. I just want it to be functional again! It worked fine at first but as time progressed, more and more things broke down that I couldn't figure out how to fix.

- I cannot use the app store at all. It loads and searches fine, even logs my previous downloads, but when I try to install an app I get the "could not be installed due to an error -101" message.
- I've tried clearing the data/cache for google play which doesn't help.
- I've tried removing my synced account, which displays a message telling me the sync is required and that to remove it, I need to perform a factory reset.
- I cannot factory reset successfully - I always get an error halfway through.
- the stock browser is all but useless, with frequent crashing, and having to disable javascript often just to view a page without a huge sidebar blocking the entire site.
- I get the "sorry this video cannot be played" error if I attempt to play a video anywhere outside of youtube - and if I play the same video twice in a row, I get the error on youtube as well.
- if I don't clear caches and data daily, my phone will randomly restart itself, usually while I'm texting.
- it will randomly clear out my contacts, my gallery, etc.
- the battery life is pitiful but after having the phone for close to 2 years, I've come to expect having to charge it near constantly.
- the phone refuses to sync with google, leaving me with white rather than green bars.
- when starting up the default browser it can take 10 minutes or more for the home page to load.
- I can't get my pc (windows 7) to detect the phone at all. It charges when plugged in but it doesn't even prompt me with a new device.

It should be noted that I don't have or use any apps installed that didn't come on the phone. My phone is not rooted. I've done updates (or attempted to) for the phone but it always claims to have none available. I don't visit any sketchy websites (mostly pet sites and gmail) so there's no reason it should be infected with viruses or the like.

I actually really like this model of phone, mainly due to the small size (I'm 5'0" so a larger phone is a little too much for me) and the slide out keyboard which I can't seem to find anywhere else. When I first got it, it worked beautifully - I could install apps, browse to my hearts content and even watch videos and play browser based games like, well, a normal smartphone. Now its all but useless except as a paperweight. I'm frustrated and after recently losing my job I really can't afford to replace it but I fear that's the only option left to me. However I thought I would post here in case someone more knowledgeable than I am was able to help. Thanks in advance.

1. The 101 error: http://appslova.com/error-101-app-downloaded-due-error-101/

2. Failed factory reset: What error do you see?

3. Browser sucks: May be fixed once you can get a reset to go. Have you tried other browsers?

4. Video problems: Reset may fix this too.

5. Restarts nd instability: Could be several things but it sounds to me like you might have no storage space left, which can cause system instability. Something must be using it up. That's why clearing caches helps for a while. But clearing caches is only going to help for a few hours, as cache files will rebuild. Clear, crash, repeat. You need space. Again, a reset will help;.

6. Battery life: Combination of several things: Clear, crash, repeat, after 2 years the battery is probably toast and in need of replacement, and who knows what else.

7: Sync: Who knows, but again I suspect a reset will do the trick.

8. PC connection: See #7. Could be the cable.

Tell us more about trying to reset and maybe someone here can help.

Upvote 0
as I mentioned in the previous post, I have tried every step listed on that page you linked for the app download error 101. Several other websites list the same steps and I have attempted it numerous times.
In the end it comes down to trying to remove my synced google account - which, again, my phone will not allow without a factory reset.

I will attempt another reset and give the exact error it shows. I remember the android logo and an error saying "failure" and being forced to remove the battery since I couldn't do anything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones