• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Top 10 Favorite Free Android Apps for Dell Streak 5

Here are my 10 favorite Apps that I use on a regular basis :D

1. Swype

Greatest invention since sliced bread, makes typing on a touchscreen so much easier.

2. K9 Mail

Mail app that handles Yahoo and Gmail great.

3. Google Maps

Great for finding things on the move.

4. WunderRadio

Use for listening to Rick&Bubba over the net.

5. 3G Watchdog

Useful in tracking monthly 3G usage when you are on the 200M plan.

6. AppBrain

Great App for syncing Apps on your device and computer. Works well when having to reset the device to factory and start over, don't loss anything, etc.

7. Beautiful Widgets

Nice Calendar, Weather, Clock all-n-one app.

8. Toggle to Net Switch

Allows me to easily switch off my 3G, like when I am riding my bike so I don't waste M while I am on the move.

9. Mahjong

Computer game I have played for the past 20+ years.

10. Dophin HD

Nice Browser.

Reactions: DellStreakLuv
Upvote 0
It's a good idea to share our ideas on "best apps" every few months...

1 - Aldiko. Full-screen, fine control of print size, and fine control of luminosity. Makes the Streak a better ereading experience than most dedicated devices.

2 - Gmail. Not the best app in the world, but since I use Gmail generally.....

3 - Audible - I listen to Audible books all the time.

4 - CoPilot Live. Google Nav sometimes calculates routes that are downright dumb. CoPilot isn't free -- downright expensive for full European coverage -- but it is a much better experience.

5 - Feedscribe. Video podcast aggregator. Not great... but the best I've found. :-(((

6 - Spider solitaire. Gotta have a game!

7 - Opera Mobile. Does a much better job of reformatting web pages for the 5" screen.

8 - Adao File Manager.

9 - Dell Backup/Restore. A lifesaver when upgrading or hard-resetting.

10 - BetterKeyboard. Multilingual (I need English/French). Good word prediction.

Reactions: DellStreakLuv
Upvote 0
1. WhatsAPP -->

WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.

2. Tone Picker -->

Use Tone Picker to set MP3s for SMS, IM, Email, Ringtone, Notification, Alarms, Calendar, whatever.Use any builtin tone or MP3 Has volume sliders and quick-set ringtone and notification.

3. GTunes Music Lite -->

A simple interface to search, download and play millions of free and legal quality MP3 music on public domains . Download MP3 with this and make it a ringtone with TonePicker..

4. FLV Player -->

not awesome but a nice way to be able to watch .flv type movies

5. K-9 Mail -->

As nb_mitch states..nothing to add to his/her comment..

6. Dropbox -->

nice app to sync files through your computers and phone.. even sharing folders with your friends via shared folder options.. 2 gb comes as free.. AWESOME :)

7. SetDNS -->

Good for reaching blocked web-sites..

8. Fringe -->

As DellStreakLuv states..Also I want to mention the capability of being able to chat with Iphone users..I still couldnt get Skype to work and Fringe is an awesome help on this issue :)

9-10. Games --> AngryBirds, SliceIT

5 Stars for AppBrain (as nb_mitch states)

Upvote 0
By means of battery consumption -->
The first 2 months were great for me, playing angry birds for a pretty long time but only needed to charge at nights.. now it's been 6-7 months the battery doesn't allow me much time :( I will get 2 new batteries --> 1 original spare and 1 with the high capacity which will make this lovely device bigger,heavier but last longer..

So the ones with higher capacity can be awesome for long trips.. Not tried yet but will do soon..

Upvote 0
1) Picsay -- Photo shop type of app
2) Pandora (and Slacker Radio --> allows cache of stations for off line listening)
3) QuickPic
4) Insertify --> Inserts among other things static text and current time date stamp
5) Google+ --> As I take pictures they are auto loaded into Picasa
6) Opera Mini --> search browser
7) Date in Tray --> shows time, date and name of day in system tray
8) Power Widget --> Serves as a dashboard on my home page
9)Circle Launcher --> For my six favorite camera apps(HDR Camera, Stock, eCamera for time stamp, Camera Zoom FX (for taking bursts of pics auto)
10) Multipicture Live Wallpaper - randomly choose my pictures as wallpaper

Bonus: Epic 3D Visualizer Wallpaper--> Visual display in time with the music

Oh yeah and GroveIP -> VOIP (free)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones