• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root N00b question...installing kernel and theme separate from ROM...

cggorman

Android Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2010
Up til now I've only loaded Fab's themed ROMs that have the kernels baked in. I'm getting ready to try Bugless Beast .8 with a smoked glass theme and AdamZ Kernel.

Both the theme and ROM are .zip files. The Kernel is a .img.

Do they all flash thru clockwork the same as one of Fab's ROMs? Do I need to do anything with that kernel.img file (rename, unpack, whatever)?

Of course, beforehand I'll do a full format of boot, sys, cache, and, data...

Any other sage words of advice?

To flash a kernel you need to use either ADB or terminal emulator, the command would go

flash_image kernel /sdcard/filename.img

For a .zip theme you can use clockwork same as you would a ROM, but make sure it's not a MM (metamorph) theme or it won't work. Easiest way to check it look in the zip and if you see a .thm file then it's for metamorph, if not your good. Also make sure you flash the ROM first and let it boot first time and sync, then do the kernel and reboot (not necessary but I would anyway) and then flash the theme.

Reactions: yzingerr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones