• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need 4 part OS files to unbrick Tab S2

Julie_Faye

Lurker
Apr 15, 2019
I need some help.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 wifi (SM-T813). I was trying to install Lineage OS and many of the techs written about doing so on the device were incorrect in one way or another. Ultimately I was able to get the device rooted (which I was forced to do in order to install TWRP).

When I was looking for information on unlocking the bootloader the few things I found all said it was already unlocked. Eventually I took those statements at face value and installed Lineage OS 16. It said it was successfully completed but it won’t reboot. It has a picture of a battery with a lightning bolt and the screen says ”set warranty bit : kernel”. I’ve been told this means Lineage did install but it can’t boot because the bootloader is locked. ‍♀️ It can go into download mode only, not recovery or to an OS. It cannot be turned off and can only be allowed to die via battery discharge.

It is recognized by Odin in download mode and I have been trying to install stock firmware but all I can find are .tar files for the android 7 that is stock for SM-813. Odin says that I need the four files Bl, Ap, Cp, CSC. The closest I have found was Sammobiles site which claimed the firmware they host would unzip into these 4 files but it doesn’t. It is a tar as well and doesn’t work. I really need some help locating the proper stock firmware with all of the necessary files. Any information on unlocking the bootloader on this device is also very welcome. This is a new device and I’m feeling a little desperate and out of options. I would greatly appreciate some assistance so I can unbrick the tablet.

Thanks in advance for any help finding the Bl, Ap, Cp, Csc files for SM-813 as well as how to successfully unlock the bootloader if I am ever able to get back there.

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!

did you make a nandroid backup in twrp recovery before flashing? hopefully you did.

how did you root your device? i found this link:https://www.getdroidtips.com/root-twrp-galaxy-tab-s2-2016/

did you do those steps?

I did make a backup with TWRP first but I am not able to boot to recovery in order to implement it. If there is some other way to use it I have no idea. I’ve put a lot of time into figuring this out and the only thing I can think to do is install the four part repair rom. I haven’t found troubleshooting that has helped.

I rooted via cf-root as for some reason the tablet needed to be rooted to even install a custom recovery. I tried to install TWRP via Odin and directly but nothing worked before rooting despite what numerous tech guides said.

Upvote 0
I did make a backup with TWRP first but I am not able to boot to recovery in order to implement it. If there is some other way to use it I have no idea. I’ve put a lot of time into figuring this out and the only thing I can think to do is install the four part repair rom. I haven’t found troubleshooting that has helped.

I rooted via cf-root as for some reason the tablet needed to be rooted to even install a custom recovery. I tried to install TWRP via Odin and directly but nothing worked before rooting despite what numerous tech guides said.
of course you need to be rooted first to install twrp. rooting basically finds a flaw in the phone's security to gain access to the system's code. once you gain access then you can change whatever you want to the phone's os.....like insatlling a custom recovery ie twrp.

i would try and see if you can get twrp installed. it will make things a lot easier. messing around with system files like that is a good way to brick your tablet.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
of course you need to be rooted first to install twrp. rooting basically finds a flaw in the phone's security to gain access to the system's code. once you gain access then you can change whatever you want to the phone's os.....like insatlling a custom recovery ie twrp.

i would try and see if you can get twrp installed. it will make things a lot easier. messing around with system files like that is a good way to brick your tablet.

Yes one needs to be rooted on this device to install TWRP however just about every guide says otherwise and most instructions for rooting the Tab S2 involve having TWRP already fully installed. The guides are all poorly informed and in reality maybe they were made with a different version of the tablet. Installing TWRP again seemed a natural solution however I’ve tried flashing TWRP again with Odin and it fails. Flashing Tar of android 7 fails as well. I was told that using the four part install was what was needed to unbrick but I have been having great difficulty finding that. So far those websites that say they are hosting it are scams or I download and it’s a tar as well.

Yes I realize this is a way devices can get bricked, I’m here. I followed instructions properly but they were inaccurate. I wasn’t going to leave the stock firmware on either because I won’t use google and let them do as they like on my device. If this doesn’t work out I will have to go back to iOS devices again which I despise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones