• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need Help with Random Reboots

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I'm having at least 6 reboots a day lately. As I mentioned before, it seems to happen when I remove it from a charger, or when I turn the screen on or off suddenly. I did a factory restore and it didn't help. This never happened before the last update.

If it is an app, perhaps we should do some comparison. Here are some I have installed that may be causing the problem:

Go Launcher/Dialer/SMS/Contacts
Tasker
LightFlow
Lookout
Amazon App Store
I'm no longer having having daily reboots ... but reboots are still occurring once or twice a week.

Although I have about 150 apps installed, none are among the apps you listed.

Upvote 0
I have also had random reboots. I discovered a couple of correlating conditions. YMMV, but:

1. If you have the extended battery installed, some of these batteries appear to have flaky contacts, so the GN may reboot if you knock the phone wrong. Some people (in another thread) have returned their batteries. Mine's not too bad so I just avoid thumping my phone down :D
2. Low available RAM. I have noticed increased sluggishness/random reboots are more likely when I'm using significantly more than 1/2 of the available RAM (check by Settings-->apps-->running). It seems to help if I am scrupulous about exiting apps I'm not currently using.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, at least 1 random reboot a day.

Usually noticed an app having been updated by google play after the reboot has completed. So I disabled automatic app updating. However while not as frequent it still is occuring -> only however if I've happened to use any type of bluetooth before the next reboot. No reboots if I haven't connected to a bluetooth device.

I look forward to hearing if rooting/flashing helps. This problem may have at last convinced me to take the plunge and do it.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, at least 1 random reboot a day.

Usually noticed an app having been updated by google play after the reboot has completed. So I disabled automatic app updating. However while not as frequent it still is occuring -> only however if I've happened to use any type of bluetooth before the next reboot. No reboots if I haven't connected to a bluetooth device.

I look forward to hearing if rooting/flashing helps. This problem may have at last convinced me to take the plunge and do it.

Interesting observations! I, too, notice app updates occurring immediately after unexpected reboots. I use bluetooth connectivity numerous times throughout the day, out of necessity; I haven't noticed a relationship to the reboots but will watch for it.

Upvote 0
Also get random reboots. Seem to be of several varieties and causes like others have mentioned. I have Geek Squad protection so I'm thinking about swapping it for a new one But I'm also tempted to switch to an GS3 next month when I have an upgrade available.

I am tempted to flash a factory image but I'm not rooted and find it really difficult to do on a Mac. ugh.

Thoughts in general on my options/ideas?

Upvote 0
I'm contemplating rooting my device and then installing Cyanogenmod. (For those interested in doing that, Install CM for toro - CyanogenMod is very helpful.)

Note the most recent comments on this thread; if the reboots are truly being caused by a 'corrupted app or database', then simply (ha) performing a factory reset would resolve the problem -- at least, until the/an app or database got installed and corrupted again.

Upvote 0
I had random reboots since day 1 of having the device, not too frequently, but once or twice a week, sometimes more, I would reboot my device nearly daily and that seemed to keep the random reboots at bay. Usually a random reboot would occur after doing something intensive, like surfing the web or tethering for a long time. Ever since JB, I haven't had any random reboots, and I don't reboot my phone very often anymore.

Personally, flashing the factory image sounds like a good idea (which I did last week after a romming mishap). My phone was somewhat buggy ever since JB update, just not with random reboots. Having a clean phone after resetting/flashing factory is nice.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. What steps did you take to flash the factory image?

I used mskips galaxy nexus toolkit V10.1, option 16 to select 4.1.1 verizon gnex, then option 9 to flash the factory image. It runs from a command window, but the directions are fairly straightforward. I already had the factory image downloaded to my computer. Also... check the md5sum when you download it, always a good idea. I use this to check md5 sums on windows. I would guess that the toolkit will verify the md5 if you let it download the factory image for you.

Upvote 0
The only way to know if it's a 3rd party app causing the issue is to factory reset and refrain from installing any new apps. Other than updating the apps that come default with the phone, run it like that for awhile and see if you still have the issue. If you do, then more than likely there's a hardware issue.

If not, then it's a safe bet you had a rogue 3rd party app causing problems. From there install maybe 5 apps at a time and install some type of logging tool, or Watchdog Task Manager Lite. That will tell you if an app is eating more system resources than it should.. basically just install and let it run in the background.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Since it can be days between reboots, installing only a few apps at a time and then observing the results could take many months to arrive at a conclusion!

What logging tool do you recommend. I have Bootlog Uptime installed. It shows the history of reboots; however, the details that it is supposed to show are inexplicably not available.

Upvote 0
Interesting observations! I, too, notice app updates occurring immediately after unexpected reboots. I use bluetooth connectivity numerous times throughout the day, out of necessity; I haven't noticed a relationship to the reboots but will watch for it.

I get these random reboots which are ALWAYS followed by app updates from Play Store. I have tried multiple combinations of different Play Store settings, deleting cache and data from Google Play, uninstalling Google Play updates. Still can't seem to stop this. Also, I'm having trouble finding any discussion of this problem (this is the first one which seems the same). Has anyone found a solution or found a better forum for this?
Also for me this has nothing to do with Bluetooth.
[Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Stock, 4.1.1]

Upvote 0
I continue to struggle with this issue. After every reboot, Google Play installs one or more updates. I'm convinced it's an OS or software issue.

I've even had it occur on my Nexus 7--but only one time, so far.

Wish there was a better way to report this issue and to get official support.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones