• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need Some Tips on a New Contract...

lith07

Lurker
Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys and gals,

I am finally upgrading from my Droid Eris :)D) and I really want a Galaxy Nexus. Right now I am on a family plan, and I have unlimited data for $30/month. My question is this: I am moving away from the family plan and signing my own contract, so can I get Verizon to grandfather me into unlimited data?

Also, the other complicated factor is that I want to get my Nexus though Amazon Wireless, because its only $100.

So how can I get my new Galaxy Nexus from Amazon Wireless AND be grandfathered into unlimited data? Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Woah, sorry I don't have a money tree like you have Jason. What's wrong with trying to save a few bucks?

Now, does anyone have any real input on the matter? I'd really appreciate some advice on how to use Amazon Wireless and still be grandfathered to unlimited data.

You can not get a new plan and keep the unlimited data. Your only option is to stay on the family plan and have unlimited data or buy the phone from amazon under a new contract and be placed on a limit.

Upvote 0
Do you even need the unlimited data? I know everyone would like to keep their unlimited data plan, but in your case it might be a worthy tradeoff. Depending on your usage, you might not miss the "unlimited". I know the combined usage of my wife and I doesn't even reach 500MB/month, so if that shared data plan comes along this summer and ends up being cheaper, then we'll definitely give up our unlimited data for a lower monthly cost. It all depends on your situation.

Upvote 0
Do you even need the unlimited data? I know everyone would like to keep their unlimited data plan, but in your case it might be a worthy tradeoff. Depending on your usage, you might not miss the "unlimited". I know the combined usage of my wife and I doesn't even reach 500MB/month, so if that shared data plan comes along this summer and ends up being cheaper, then we'll definitely give up our unlimited data for a lower monthly cost. It all depends on your situation.

Excellent point ylexot, most wireless customers use less than 2GB. (95% use less than 2GB according to VZW I beleive)

In my case, myself, my wife, and my college aged daughter used a combined 1.2GB's of data and all 3 of us have unlimited data costing a combined $82.50. (The reason it's not $90 is because my wifes data pkg has a 25% corp discount)

Upvote 0
Hey guys and gals,

I am finally upgrading from my Droid Eris :)D) and I really want a Galaxy Nexus. Right now I am on a family plan, and I have unlimited data for $30/month. My question is this: I am moving away from the family plan and signing my own contract, so can I get Verizon to grandfather me into unlimited data?

Also, the other complicated factor is that I want to get my Nexus though Amazon Wireless, because its only $100.

So how can I get my new Galaxy Nexus from Amazon Wireless AND be grandfathered into unlimited data? Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

From what I've been told, You go into Verizon Wireless, have them spin off your added line into it's own account which they will do having you keep your current number and data plan (You will obviously have to choose a voice plan). Then you upgrade from Amazon after that is set up. You must go into Verizon or call their support line and have them spin off your added line into it's own account. If the rep says they are unable to do it, you just call or talk to a different rep. Lots of people have been able to do just what you are asking.

If that doesn't work for you, there are some email addresses on the internet you can write to for VW Corporate and they will make sure it's handled for you.

Reactions: quiklives
Upvote 0
From what I've been told, You go into Verizon Wireless, have them spin off your added line into it's own account which they will do having you keep your current number and data plan (You will obviously have to choose a voice plan). Then you upgrade from Amazon after that is set up. You must go into Verizon or call their support line and have them spin off your added line into it's own account. If the rep says they are unable to do it, you just call or talk to a different rep. Lots of people have been able to do just what you are asking.

If that doesn't work for you, there are some email addresses on the internet you can write to for VW Corporate and they will make sure it's handled for you.

I've heard you can do something like this...I have specifically heard it called a spin off basically you are assuming liability of your line and leaving the contracts more or less unchanged. I would suggest going to VZW or calling *611 for the details and specifics but I think you may be able to keep your data and pay for your own line.

Upvote 0
I've heard you can do something like this...I have specifically heard it called a spin off basically you are assuming liability of your line and leaving the contracts more or less unchanged. I would suggest going to VZW or calling *611 for the details and specifics but I think you may be able to keep your data and pay for your own line.

When I talked to Verizon about doing this, they did indeed refer to it as an "assumption of liability"...you get your number and plan, but I do think you have to sign a new contract, so deposits might come into play.

Upvote 0
When I talked to Verizon about doing this, they did indeed refer to it as an "assumption of liability"...you get your number and plan, but I do think you have to sign a new contract, so deposits might come into play.

They may require you to pay a month or something up front...I've never done it so but think it would require less up front than signing a contract for the first time. I do think you are right it may require you to sign a contract at the time you do it.

Upvote 0
From my understanding, they may require a deposit based on prior credit history (bad credit or no credit). As of 4/2011 they were still offering the month to month program and I can't imagine if a deposit is required that it could be too much. Odd.

Did you try explaining to them what exactly you want to do and specifically mention that you want to go on a month to month plan until you sign up for a contract through Amazon? From my experience, a lot of the reps in store are clueless in regards to a lot of things and you get the best answers via phone support. That being said, sometimes in store reps are willing to do things for you that phone support will not do (such as price matching, early upgrades, etc.) I wouldn't committ to anything until you try all avenues to find somebody willing to help you do what it is you want. You'd be amazed at all the different things you get told by them depending on who you talk to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones