• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Android Device!

how do they get away with this?? it is just amazing.. where can I buy that kind of mojo?

sue others for copying.. $billions!

then copy from them..
call it theirs.. innovative, revolutionary
then sue anyone that uses it.. including the one you copied it from!

I got to get some of that mojo! I would have a 100 billion profit too..
NO need for costly R&D
just costly lawyers

Upvote 0
I thought Android was originally a ripoff of the BlackBerry way back when? It started trying to (badly) copy iOS in version 2.1 when Google saw Blackberry dying a slow and painful death, which Apple will soon be doing. RIM failed to get with the times, laughingly claiming "no one wants a phone to be a computer!" And sadly, Apple shows signs of lacking innovations after the now permenant loss of Jobs.

Reactions: Biku
Upvote 0
I thought Android was originally a ripoff of the BlackBerry way back when? It started trying to (badly) copy iOS in version 2.1 when Google saw Blackberry dying a slow and painful death, which Apple will soon be doing. RIM failed to get with the times, laughingly claiming "no one wants a phone to be a computer!" And sadly, Apple shows signs of lacking innovations after the now permenant loss of Jobs.

The popular memes that Android copied the iPhone or Blackberry dates back to the original pre-production _hardware_ prototypes.

Before release, they sampled three form factors and one looked like the BB, another like an iPhone and they went with the third one for the G1.

That was hardware only.

If you look at Andy Rubin's background and the Android software history, it's clear that a lot of the "copying" memes floating about are just convenient urban myths.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
The popular memes that Android copied the iPhone or Blackberry dates back to the original pre-production _hardware_ prototypes.

Before release, they sampled three form factors and one looked like the BB, another like an iPhone and they went with the third one for the G1.

That was hardware only.

If you look at Andy Rubin's background and the Android software history, it's clear that a lot of the "copying" memes floating about are just convenient urban myths.
To build on this:

iOS may look like it has copied everyone or that in some places it has ripped off Android completely (its notification center is a joke but was on Android since forever and now with the new font, it is trying to catch up with Android 4.0+) but does it really matter?

At the end of the day, if you have an Android 4.x.x device you are miles ahead of the competition overall in just about every measurable category for a smartphone. Heck, even devices below said API level have features (replaceable keyboards, intents across apps, launchers, picture downloading from a website, etc, etc, etc...) which Apple is yet to implement in its OS. Heck, even Apple's dev community is stifled by walled up APIs and feature sets which are only accessible through jailbreak.

Point is: Functionally, current and older Android devices out of the box offer more than an iPhone 5 with iOS 6 and soon iOS 7.

I find Apple's lack of innovation in its platform sad. Really, I do.

As for apps, kudos to Apple for having strong developer mind share by offering a my way or highway approach. Remember, iOS was THE way for a couple years, so Apple COULD put up that walled garden. I'm afraid that we are seeing leaks in that wall now more than ever. It is time for them to plug those holes. Do I see Apple going the way of RIM or WP8 or even webOS? Nope. But something significant must change.

And iOS 7 isn't it.

jmar

Upvote 0
this is in your opinion however and applies to your functional needs. Not those of everyone in the world. For some people it could be the exact opposite of what you stated.

I'll echo that. In my line of work an iphone is MUCH more useful than an android phone and can eliminate quite a few other devices that I would normally have to carry around.

Of course, that being said... my personal preference is an android... but that's neither here nor there.

Upvote 0
this is in your opinion however and applies to your functional needs. Not those of everyone in the world. For some people it could be the exact opposite of what you stated.
Indeed it is an opinion that I shared, but there are some facts to be looked at in what I stated.

If you want a keyboard that allows for swipe typing, then out of the box, Android offers that functionality while iOS does not. If you want to customize your home screens outside of endless apps and folders, out of the box, Android allows this and iOS does not.

So while I can certainly agree that iOS is a great choice for some with Android also being a great choice for others, those examples and many like it are why Android, out of the box, is superior from a functionality standpoint.
I'll echo that. In my line of work an iphone is MUCH more useful than an android phone and can eliminate quite a few other devices that I would normally have to carry around.

Of course, that being said... my personal preference is an android... but that's neither here nor there.
I cannot argue your point in terms of what you mention for your work. Nor can I for that of your personal preference, whether it is Android or not. :)

Upvote 0
agreed no hate in here just friendly debate.

Yes if you functionally want a swipe style keyboard or more customization then yes Android will win in that department.

But those aren't really facts. Those are a particular users functional wants and needs. Some people may not care for that stuff so Android doesn't win that dept.

There really is no winner imo. It all comes down to what you want/need. If what you want need don't exist in IOS there is nothing wrong with that. Same to be said about Android. I just disagree with "global" statements that suggest one is better than the other.

i used Android for almost 3 years before swapping to the I5. Yes i miss somethings about android. Somethings i like better in IOS. For me at this point in my life the positives in IOS out weigh the positives in Android for a phone. I said phone because i will get the new Nexus 7 when it comes out so that i can continue playing on Android.

Upvote 0
^ Great points. I can see the global nature of the wording I chose so I understand more clearly your sentiment. And I totally agree that if certain aspects of an OS aren't important to an individual then yes, it is no longer an advantage, but that is looking at it at a use case basis.

I for one am looking forward to a new N7 as well. Wanna give the Wife my current N7 since my 2 year old has effectively destroy her Nook Color.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones