• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Firmware update - root problems

Mike525

Feb 22, 2012
I kept getting "Kyocera update tool" download so I finally let it finish and upgrade the phone.. here is what I have found:

New or Updated apps:
-Google play Magazines
-Voicemail
-Connections Optimizer ( this is under wireless and networks > mobile networks ) and a few system fles.

a total of I think 8 files came up in Titanium backup... With brings me to the next topic.. (because I was getting pauses and T.B. wasnt working how it should)

I removed and reinstalled T.B. a few times and kept having issues one app even said try removing app in superuser. This did not work so I removed superuser, and now I am no longer rooted. I have tried "Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18 and V2" both worked before.. now I get:

Make a choice: 1
Checking if i should run in Normal Mode or special Sony Mode
Please connect your device with USB-Debugging enabled now
Waiting for device to shop up, if nothing happens please check if Windows ADB-dr
ivers are installed correctly!
remote object '/system/app/Backup-Restore.apk' does not exist
remote object '/system/bin/ric' does not exist
Normal Mode enabled!
Pushing busybox....
3532 KB/s (1085140 bytes in 0.300s)
Pushing su binary ....
4491 KB/s (91980 bytes in 0.020s)
Pushing Superuser app
2162 KB/s (996704 bytes in 0.450s)
Making busybox runable ...
Please look at your device and click RESTORE!
If all is successful i will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
Running ...

And it runs forever any suggestions? I am going to make a wild guess that in the last update they removed the back-up apk? I get the starting restore... then a second or 2 later it says ending restore.

After several attempts and I feel thet I may have just gotten lucky.. V2 finally came back with:

Please connect device with ADB-Debugging enabled now....
4709 KB/s (1085140 bytes in 0.225s)
2426 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.009s)
4335 KB/s (843503 bytes in 0.190s)
Please look at your device and click RESTORE!
If all is successful i will tell you, if not this shell will run forever.
Successful, going to reboot your device!
Waiting for device to show up again....
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
remount failed: Operation not permitted
/system/xbin/su: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
/system/app/Superuser.apk: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: Read-only file system
rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
You can close all open command-prompts now!
After reboot all is done! Have fun with Root!
Bin4ry
Press any key to continue . . .

again before the update this ran without problems every time. :-(

Upvote 0
After trying several methods.. I was able to Root using POOT. more info here:
http://androidforums.com/rise-all-things-root/686996-new-root-method-no-pc.html

Credit goes to MyFormIsCrack over on the rise forums.

icon1.gif
New Root Method No Pc

Prior even posting how can I make this my own thread instead of being sticked especially when I'm the only one so far who has this?

On my initial/first reply was solely asking to have this as a seperate thread and not being moved by a mod into the sticky.Basically you do the following:

1)Enable usb debugging in dev ops

2)Download poot: http://db.tt/0HqxEURT

3)Download minstro 2 from store

4)Download superuser from store

5)Run poot

6)Pushes su to xbin

7)Go into superuser and update binary (I skipped this step for some reason I lose root after doing this)

8)If done right you now have root

9)For testing on already rooted phones use temp unroot through superuser and repeat

this worked for the rise, and for me for the hydro. Bin4ry's root I could not get to work (after the "Kyocera Update Tool" downloaded and installed new formware ) hope this helps someone here.

Reactions: bnash4201
Upvote 0
I've been getting the notification for the new firmware update for the last 2 days. I'm scared to update because I don't know if it will cause me to lose root access. I rooted a few months ago using the Poot method. Will I have to RE-root if I update? Please help me.

Mine updated and did not remove my root. However, my wife's has not updated yet. I don't know why.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones