• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New HTC Droid Eris

i may be comin off dumb (as if i haven't in a few other posts already) but wth are you talking about? this is the only thread i found a mention of 'bedazzling', 'bedazzle', or 'bedazzled'...aside from the game, of course.

Bwahaha dude put down the phone and watch some late night tv. Or Google it. IT will be funnier that way then if I tell you

Upvote 0
well my thing is, if you are here, you more than likely tech oriented...

Well, I don't think "tech oriented" is an on or off thing, cut and dry, black and white, one or the other, etc.

Like most other orientations, tech orientation or "geekiness," is on a scale or range.. we can make up the scale and call it from 1 to 10 or whatever.

In these forums or at a device store we'll see people, even the employees at Verizon, with varying degrees of that geekiness, most of which can be determined by discovering how much knowledge the person seems to possess about the products they're talking about.

I'd assign about a 3 to 5 on that 1 to 10 scale for most of the Verizon employees I've dealt with, although I've listened to and learned from a few 10s, as well.

In these forums we have the full range of folks; their being here does not indicate much beyond a 2, probably. But there are certainly some 7s, 8s, 9s and a few 10s in here, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Apps I use all the time (and I am still using 1.5):
- Chomp SMS (instead of stock messaging app, used to use handcent, but liked the look of chomp better)
- Dolphin (instead of stock browser)
- Swype keyboard (intead of stock keyboard, I was dubious at first, but it took me about 2 hours to be convinced of it's superiority over the regular keyboard).
- Agenda Widget (cool little widget, gives you your upcoming calendar events on your home screen, there is a stock calendar widget, but did not show enough info for my taste. Also not sure if the current version available on the market is a stable version)
- DocumentsToGo (you have to by this one, allows editing of MS office documents on your phone)
- currently deciding between Evernote & 3Banana as a note's program

Games (I am not a big mobile game person, when I play I mostly play on my iPod touch)
- Robo Defense (liked the free version enough that I paid the $2.99 for the paid app)
- Gem Miner
- Bebbled

Medical apps
- Skyskape
- Relief central

Note Epocrates is only available for 1.6 and up. This is the only reason I am considering loading up the 2.1 leak. For the moment I use Epocrates on my iTouch. On the flip side, from what I understand there is no Chomp for 2.1.

Enjoy your new phone
-spg

Upvote 0
Swype or Mobile Write (I'm an old graffiti guy, so it's Mobile Write for me)

NoteEverything
GDocs
A Online Radio
Barcode Scanner
Beamreader
Contact Search+
Network Monitor
ShopSavvy
Simple Weather
Wapedia
Where

But I'm using a Motorola "Droid" (a855), so I use lotsa other progs that might not apply to you. Documents to go has a lot of fans, and I liked and used it on my Palm devices, but I don't care for it at all on my Droid. Give it a real close look and compare it's use against other free stuff 1st.

I was all jazzed about my Droid for a while, but the honeymoon is over. I think HTC has better products than Motorola, so don't let all the hype make you think that your Eris is 2nd string or somethin. If you "have work to do" and hope to manage 500 contacts, lots of memos, do business related scheduling and to-dos, I'd advise really giving your Eris a workover before your 30 days is up. My old Palm Treo was a better tool for business than my Droid is. Facebook, GPS, and Youtube are fun, but don't contribute much to gettin' stuff done.

Welcome to the android crowd and the forums, and by all means have fun with that doo-dad!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones