• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New LG Optimus M (MS690) - Root Achieved!

Hello all, I'm new to this subject. I just got my LG Optimus M phone today, and like many of you, I want to remove the bloatware. Just a couple of things I need to be clear before proceeding with my root. I understand what Android Mate does. But..

z4root <--is this the actual app that will root my phone?

One person posted this "OK, after installing Root Explorer and mounting the /system/app directory with read/write access I was able to remove all the bloatware."

My question is, if Root Explorer can read/write, why would I need z4root?

**Update**
After watching some videos on how to do this, I decided to give it a try. I succesfully removed these apps (listed below) from my phone. I only had one problem and that was with Boingo Wifi. I had stopped it from running, but then it started itself again and when I deleted the apk, it froze the phone. A simple restart fixed it. I want thank the community for having valuable info on this subject. 99% of what I needed was here.

With help from another thread, the apps were:
MVC.MetroPCS.android02.apk = Virtual Card
MobileBanking.apk = Mobile Banking
MobilePosse.apk = MyExtras
SNS.apk = Facebook for LG, Twitter for LG
Boingo_Wo-Fi.apk = Boingo WiFi
Mocospace-1.2.4.apk = Moco Space
Uno_Demo_LG_MS690.apk = Uno Game
PGA_Android.apk = Free Games
LGMS690_MetroPCS_EasyWiFi_V4.0.90.apk = Easy Wifi
MPCS-MobileIM-0.4.24.2.apk = MobileIM
PEX-3.1.1.1-metro-rc.apk = Pocket Express
z7-android2x.apk= Mail@Metro

Worked well as well. I had the same issue with Boingo Wifi. Phone reboot fix it

Upvote 0
Thanks OP. MyExtras was easy to cripple, but didn't feel right leaving it installed. Also what's the point of that Easy Wifi. Gone. Backed up entire /system/app folder before deleting, used ASTRO. The system freaked out when I deleted Boingo. It kept popping up a message about it. A reboot got rid of that.

Easy Wi-Fi is the only app of the "bloatware" that is worth keeping. Gives you access -- logs you in -- to 500,000 free wi-fi spots nationwide. Boingo supposedly gives you accesss to 200,000 more -- but you have to pay for that. Forget that. But Easy Wi-Fi has the database to 500,000 free wi-fi spots. You don't even have to be IN the place (like a McDonalds), just within reception distance. Could come in very handy, you know? Wi-Fi is much faster than Metro's over-the-air Internet. It's just you don't want to keep the audible alert on as default. Just turn it on when you need it.

Upvote 0
I am trying to use Titanium Backup with a temporary root before going permanent but I can't get it working. It says I need BusyBox. I have tried the version from "Problems?" in TB, and it will download but says install failed. Also tried the version from Market, and it keeps telling me my phone is not rooted... any ideas?

EDIT:
The only root-related apps I have installed so far are z4root (the one from the developer), Titanium backup, and ASTRO file manager.
If there is another method for backing up my entire phone (phone AND sd card data) before rooting, I would be fine with that. I just want to be sure I have a backup that I can revert to if something goes wrong rooting.

Upvote 0
Hello all, I'm new to this subject. I just got my LG Optimus M phone today, and like many of you, I want to remove the bloatware. Just a couple of things I need to be clear before proceeding with my root. I understand what Android Mate does. But..

z4root <--is this the actual app that will root my phone?

One person posted this "OK, after installing Root Explorer and mounting the /system/app directory with read/write access I was able to remove all the bloatware."

My question is, if Root Explorer can read/write, why would I need z4root?

**Update**
After watching some videos on how to do this, I decided to give it a try. I succesfully removed these apps (listed below) from my phone. I only had one problem and that was with Boingo Wifi. I had stopped it from running, but then it started itself again and when I deleted the apk, it froze the phone. A simple restart fixed it. I want thank the community for having valuable info on this subject. 99% of what I needed was here.

With help from another thread, the apps were:
MVC.MetroPCS.android02.apk = Virtual Card
MobileBanking.apk = Mobile Banking
MobilePosse.apk = MyExtras
SNS.apk = Facebook for LG, Twitter for LG
Boingo_Wo-Fi.apk = Boingo WiFi
Mocospace-1.2.4.apk = Moco Space
Uno_Demo_LG_MS690.apk = Uno Game
PGA_Android.apk = Free Games
LGMS690_MetroPCS_EasyWiFi_V4.0.90.apk = Easy Wifi (I kept this But the rest are SO gone.)
MPCS-MobileIM-0.4.24.2.apk = MobileIM
PEX-3.1.1.1-metro-rc.apk = Pocket Express
z7-android2x.apk= Mail@Metro

Just me, but I also took off Loopt. I have no need for people to know exactly where I am. :rolleyes:

Where is Latitude stored? Same type app I want to delete.

However I can't find the Boingo app. I never set it up, so maybe that's why it's not in the list? Or maybe I removed it last month when I first got the phone? Don't know.

(However, as I said earlier, I kept Easy Wi-Fi as it seems useful.)

Upvote 0
Just me, but I also took off Loopt. I have no need for people to know exactly where I am. :rolleyes:

Where is Latitude stored? Same type app I want to delete.

However I can't find the Boingo app. I never set it up, so maybe that's why it's not in the list? Or maybe I removed it last month when I first got the phone? Don't know.

Yeah, you probably removed it because it says boingo right on the file.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I'm trying to root my phone using z4root, but the app just closes on "acquiring root shell.." and when I try to open it again gives me the "The application z4root (process com.z4mod.z4root) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." message and then will just not react.

EDIT:
Ugh, I found out what the problem was.... I was trying to do a factory reset of my phone, and misread something... ran the LG update thing. It gave me Android 2.2.1, which apparently has disabled z4root... Anyone found a workaround with z4root for this yet? or a way to revert to 2.2?

If anyone knows how to fix the 2.2.1 problem, post it here and at this thread specifically regarding this issue
http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/245334-2-2-1-update.html

Upvote 0
I am trying to use Titanium Backup with a temporary root before going permanent but I can't get it working. It says I need BusyBox. I have tried the version from "Problems?" in TB, and it will download but says install failed. Also tried the version from Market, and it keeps telling me my phone is not rooted... any ideas?

EDIT:
The only root-related apps I have installed so far are z4root (the one from the developer), Titanium backup, and ASTRO file manager.
If there is another method for backing up my entire phone (phone AND sd card data) before rooting, I would be fine with that. I just want to be sure I have a backup that I can revert to if something goes wrong rooting.

Download Terminal Emulator from jackpal on the market. Open it up and type:
Code:
su
If a # is present, then your root.
If a $ is present, then your not root.

I have a incompete back up of this rom because the bloatware has been removed. Since you want a full back up and I need a complete rom on file, I will explain how to back up your rom before you erase anything from it.

If you are root?

Upvote 0
Since you want a full back up and I need a complete rom on file, I will explain how to back up your rom before you erase anything from it.

If you are root?

Tell me what else you need. I was able to send the phone "system" file to you last night -- finally. That was from a phone that does not have anything removed...yet.

Upvote 0
For me it worked, the rooting of the phone.
deleted all those pointless apps except metro-easy wi-fi

my question is, has anyone deleted these following apps.
-loopt
-latitude
-rss reader
-talk
-think free

Yes, I did Loopt. But Latitude is part of Google Maps (navigation). Just don't sign in to Latitude and you're OK. The only way to get rid of it is to get rid of Google Maps.

RSS Reader, Talk and Think Free I'm keeping because I may use them sometime.

Upvote 0
Root explorer is no long working with the privilege of (r/w) and (r/o) on some specific phones like Metropcs LG Optimus M, after the android self update 2.2.1,
Hey guys so we need to find another substitute app or hold for a root explorer to update on this issue, if we get all together and sent email and put comments like I did (the above paragraph) on the android market that may help to expedite any answer from the root explorer developer time

Upvote 0
For me it worked, the rooting of the phone.
deleted all those pointless apps except metro-easy wi-fi

my question is, has anyone deleted these following apps.
-loopt
-latitude
-rss reader
-talk
-think free
I deleted loopt and think free.

Don't delete talk. It is somehow linked to the market, and you won't be able to download anything without it. Latitude is required for Google Maps.

Reactions: maczdroid
Upvote 0
Well for those stuck in 2.2.1 I actually Tried this and Got me back to 2.2 and rooted again, just go to the link

Downgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2 LG Optimus M

This actually worked for me so i felt i had to share it, hope it works for you guys :)
hey when I opened your package it gave the the lg sw update screen and also all the check boxes had ????? marks in them is it supposed to be doing that my fon did not go back to 2.2 maybe I missed something here's the log man I want my old phone back I am gonna try again maybe I messed up a step below is the log maybe you can see something that will help

WELL TO LET YOU KNOW i WENT BACK AND DOUBLE CHECKED EVERYTHING i HAD NOT CAPITIALIZED THE WORD cab IN THAT COMMAND LINE FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS AND VOILA i HAVE MY PHONE BACK AGAIN THANX AND BY THE WAY MY PHONE NEVER WENT INTO THE ANDROID LOOP AND i DID NOT HAVE TO PUSH THOSE BUTTONS IT JUST REBBOTED I LOOKED AT SETTINGS VERSION AND IT WAS RIGHT BACK ON 2.2 i ALREADY GOT RID OF ALL THE CRAPWARE THANX AGAIN

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I'm trying to root my phone using z4root, but the app just closes on "acquiring root shell.." and when I try to open it again gives me the "The application z4root (process com.z4mod.z4root) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." message and then will just not react.

EDIT:
Ugh, I found out what the problem was.... I was trying to do a factory reset of my phone, and misread something... ran the LG update thing. It gave me Android 2.2.1, which apparently has disabled z4root... Anyone found a workaround with z4root for this yet? or a way to revert to 2.2?

If anyone knows how to fix the 2.2.1 problem, post it here and at this thread specifically regarding this issue
http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/245334-2-2-1-update.html
did u find a way to root ur fone wit 2.2.1?
I also have same prob like u

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones