• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Micro SD Card stpped working on Samsung A7 Tablet

jo69

Android Enthusiast
May 29, 2013
I bought a new micro sd card for my new Samsung Galaxy A7 Tablet
It worked fine for a few weeks
Then I got a message saying it was read only and not formatted
So I formatted it on the Tablet. It was ok for a few days but then the message came up again
How do I solve this?
Do I format it on the pc first?

Get a new card.
Do not trust important data to any card that has ever shown any symptom of failure.

Cards have failure rates that increase exponentially with the capacity of the card.
The larger the card, the higher the failure rate.

A card should be used and formatted a few times before it is to be trusted.

Most cards that fail do so either very early or after a very long time.

These are all things that I have learned from professionals that use SD cards in their work after I had multiple card failures myself.

Upvote 0
If it is working intermittently then there are two possibilities: the card is faulty or the tablet is. Only way to be sure would be to test a different card in the tablet for some time and see whether the same problem occurs. I would back up frequently if I continued to use the card (or not store anything important on it), because if the card is the problem there is no guarantee it will come back to life next time, or that it won't corrupt something you are trying to store on it - it really depends on precisely what the fault is.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thank you I really dont want to have to buy another Didnt know they were that weak
it just depends on the brand and how much wear and tear they go thru. the cheap chinese brands i would stay away from.

like i said kingston is my go to. though i have a samsung 128g from when i had my note 10+ laying around somewhere. my z fold 3 does not have an sd card slot so i can't use one right now.

Upvote 0
it just depends on the brand and how much wear and tear they go thru. the cheap chinese brands i would stay away from.
Though I'll note again that I had a Samsung card fail after just 3 months of fairly light usage (because I only used it to store media, so not a vast number of write cycles). A cheap, unknown brand is certainly higher risk, but you can be unlucky with anyone. The trouble is that all we have are anecdotes: few of us use enough cards for our own experiences to be statistically significant ;).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've read that the larger capacity cards are more prone to failure, 64 or 128 GB may be the best size for reliability and longevity.
Never heard of Nuflash so obviously not a major/well-known brand. There is still a chance that it could be fake- try downloading one of the SD checker apps that are designed to show the true capacity of the card and reveal ones that are actually smaller cards disguised as larger ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones