• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Nexus One - I'm back!

For the truly paranoid, it IS possible to use this device without syncing it to google's cloud. Obviously, you lose a lot of the functionality that you are thus used to, but it's worth it to those who don't wish to sell their souls to google.

I think my soul for their pretty phone is a perfectly reasonable trade ;) That's what I'll keep telling myself as I watch a scary program on BBC called The Virtual Revolution. All stuff I know, but neatly packaged into sensationalist propaganda. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Upvote 0
I moved from a BB to the Nexus One. There is no way I would consider going back. The feel, the quality, the speed, the flexibility hard to beat. I happen to be in a new T-Mobile 3G market, with no problems. helps make the N1 shine. people are amazed at the speed, especially with the google maps. Now that I think about it, love might be the better word. Enjoy :D

Upvote 0
I moved from a BB to the Nexus One. There is no way I would consider going back. The feel, the quality, the speed, the flexibility hard to beat. I happen to be in a new T-Mobile 3G market, with no problems. helps make the N1 shine. people are amazed at the speed, especially with the google maps. Now that I think about it, love might be the better word. Enjoy :D

I'd consider going back... but it would take a LOT from RIM to sway me.... we're talking a fullscreen touchscreen device... maybe with slider but not a deal breaker... but NOT like the current Storm - too kludgy, heavy, slow and awkward... Would need a KILLER OS... modern, fast, widgets, full blown browser... MORE memory built in and eliminate that stupidly low memory limit all BB's have... And a high res screen... 480x360 just doesn't cut it these days... minimum of 800 x 480 if not higher... (who'll be the first to provide 1280 x 720! :D)....

the problem with BB's, is that they are fundamentally flawed for todays massive amounts of data... i'd get an error message saying "too large" from a 3MB attachment... i mean, WTF is that??? the browsing experience was PAINFUL... not so much the browser itself, but the immense LAG caused by the extra layer of proxy or whatever it is that is due to BIS.... there's that extra path the data has to take to go through the BIS server, and that truly RUINS the browsing experience... RIM is "rumored" to be fixing this with BIS 3.0 with onboard proxying on their devices... but that's the thing... they are always a day late and a dollar short...

BB's, IMO, do *TWO* things well.... 1) by far the best notification system... and 2) great phone/speakerphone.... That's it! Everything else is average to poor... I guess I could say a 3rd is the secure data, but that's implied.... I wouldn't even go so far to say that the BB is good at email, because it really isn't... it just can't deal with the modern, large attachment filled, HTML-rich emails of today...

RIM would have to push the envelope so far to get me back, that I don't think it's even possible... It's a shame too, because I WANT to like them... they are a Canadian company, and I'd like to support them.... but they are ignoring what the customers really want... they only give the business, and really the IT people what they want... nothing more...

whew... i'm done.... /rant :D

Upvote 0
Nexus/Google ROCKS!!!!!!!!! :D

I had to do a hard reset this morning. Well, didn't have to but wanted to. Here's why:

I installed HTC keyboard that is posted in another thread in this forum, and personally didn't like it. But after uninstalling, things got wonky with my Nexus. Minor, but still some issues. ATK - the fonts got all small. BatteryLife - the coloured separation bars got all messed up.

I did a hard reset to fix. Which it did. Wasn't sure if I was going to loose all my info. It got all restored when I first got my 2nd Nexus, but I wasn't sure if the same thing would happen if I did a hard reset.

Well - LO and BEHOLD!!! It worked!! Everything - all apps, free AND paid, along with my settings (wallpaper than I had, WiFi settings including my work's secure WEP settings), ALL restored, yet again!!!

Luckily, I had online backup setup with my Gmail account. I took notice that once I did the hard reset, upon clicking the Android guy the first time and going through the initial setup, that there is a check page on the 2nd or 3rd setup screen page, that asks if you want your info backed up for your Gmail account that you are signing in with. It's on by default, and that is what has saved me!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FEATURE. You don't need a third party app, you don't need a third party service, you can have your Nexus BACKED UP OTA. I'm still AMAZED! This is something that is truly head and shoulders above the iphone and any other smartphone that I've personally used. OTA backup. Standard. Cool. :D

peace

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones