• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Security Feature Sucks

David05

Nov 20, 2020
After some fairly recent software update, I got the new security rule that I have to enter my password (not use my fingerprint, as I usually do) to leave the lock screen every so often. I hate this.

Is there some way to turn off that particular security feature?

It set up to ask for either pin/password/pattern every 3 days IIRC.

Yep, that's what I don't like. It just seems unnecessary. It's just another thing to force the masses to do. It's always inconvenient. I hate it. Now that I've expressed my thoughts, I'm SURE Samsung will correct its error.

Maybe someone could make an app to stop this behavior?

Upvote 0
Instead of seeing this as an annoyance I consider it to be a nice, additional security feature. Yeah, it's an inconvenience but you're either ignoring or unaware there is a big problem with phones getting lost or stolen all the time now. Given how most of us store a lot of data and personal info on our phones, allowing strangers easy access to our phones in an unsupervised setting is a risky and potentially harmful thing to do. The problem is the public wants convenience but the smartphone industry as a whole is learning that security and privacy needs to be forced on to an otherwise clueless consumer. So keep convincing yourself that this is some kind of over-reaching annoyance, or start to look at this just being a helpful reminder that despite so many people not doing this that implementing the lock screen is a good practice.

Upvote 0
Yep, that's what I don't like. It just seems unnecessary. It's just another thing to force the masses to do. It's always inconvenient. I hate it. Now that I've expressed my thoughts, I'm SURE Samsung will correct its error.

Maybe someone could make an app to stop this behavior?

The only way to bypass it is to remove ALL locking measures. No fingerprint/pin/password/pattern at all.

Upvote 0
It is set up to ask for either pin/password/pattern every 3 days IIRC.

Yeah, that's how it is, and it's NOT a new feature in Android. If you setup your phone or tablet for biometric unlock, like using fingerprint, retina scan, face ID, voiceprint, MRI or CT scan, saliva sample, or breathe test, etc, it will periodically ask you to verify your pattern, password, or PIN. And on all devices I've had it's every 2-3 days, and isn't a problem for me.

You can turn it off it you want, and leave your device unlocked, but any payment and financial apps will still insist on you entering a PIN or password for transactions.

The requirement to periodically enter your password, PIN, or pattern unlock is not a new "Security Feature", and has been around for at least 6 years that I know of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some people would prefer consumers to shut up an take whatever they are given by those who SELL us a product; big business (and government) always knows best and does what is good for the little, stupid people, yes?

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Some people would prefer consumers to shut up an take whatever they are given by those who SELL us a product; big business (and government) always knows best and does what is good for the little, stupid people, yes?

Even though I use security that isn't easily duplicated nor bypassed, it's reassuring that I have to enter my 4 digit pin every ~ 72 hours or so. If my phone somehow, though unlikely falls into the hands of someone else they have 72 hours max to get through fingerprint(s) and facial recognition to only be greeted by a pin only my wife knows.

Yeah, I'm fine with that.

BTW, buy stock in Reynold's Wrap, you're going to need it.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones