• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NEW Software Upgrade for Hero

As pdrhan tried to say http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/146677-new-software-upgrade-hero.html#post1412024

Just erase the cache/data of the htc sense (settings >>>aplications>>> manage aplications>>> find htc sense and erase the cache/data you will loose the sense settings but the widgets should come back)

I tried that, and they don't come back those f...ing widgets !

Why should they?

In the app list on my phone they still appear as installed. Isn't there a way to uninstall them ? Is it possible to uninstall & reinstall HTCsense: that should clear any troublesome setting?

Upvote 0
As far as the ppl say no. It patches all apps but no idea with what. But the kernel/radio stays the same. (Some say its faster, but I would say just cuz it erases the cache after longer use it gets slower again)

Do the thing that scaparici says

And since you said you tried everything I suppose you called your carrier right? :)
HTC and Tele2 confirmed a network lock does not affect system updates in any way.

I don't need the G-sensor calibration tool anyway.

Anyway, HTC contacted me via e-mail today and, after telling them all the things I've tried in order to get that update, told me to send my Hero to my nearest HTC service centre to have it examined :( which I most probably won't do because I need my phone and can't really be without it for a month or more.

I might try to apply the update once again during this weekend and see what will happen. Might.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I am back, I have some free time and I'm going to try to do the freakin' update again. Only this time I am using a trial version of MyBackup :D keep your fingers crossed! And this time I did a factory reset before installing the update.

EDIT: nope, it's dead. I'm going to send it to HTC service to be examined.

Who knows, I might just get a new phone if this one proves to be broken :D

Upvote 0
You still didnt call your carrier :D . (am going to bug you with it till you do :p)
You missed my post, my carrier confirmed their lock does not and should not interfere. HTC confirmed it too.

Off it goes this Monday-Tuesday :( luckily I did a backup on my SD so if I get my phone back it shouldn't be a problem.

Ha, if I get a Desire, I'll get drunk :D

Upvote 0
You missed my post, my carrier confirmed their lock does not and should not interfere. HTC confirmed it too.

Argh, pfft, sorry for that :p its the first time I swear :D

Off it goes this Monday-Tuesday :( luckily I did a backup on my SD so if I get my phone back it shouldn't be a problem.

Well if I remember correctly mybackup does work for a month (or so it was for me, as I wanted to use the backup it said it expired) . So if you get your phone after that . OR it was just for backing up and the restore worked :D

Anyway mybackup sucked badly as I tried it :p
Settings werent completely restored and it did more damage as good stuffs. Had actually more work setting up after I did the backup. Apps not im market (its normal but baaaaad) And it froze always on restore.

I would tell you , but I wasnt fast enough to ROOT and do titanium backup :) . but then again you are sending it for repairs there is root which no idea how would do on your broken phone would work.

Upvote 0
i downloaded the update but it hasn't installed. i'm not desperate for a g sensor calibration tool but it is 5mb and i am getting short on space. is there any way to delete the file? or at least force it to install the update?

Its not 5mb to the system. Its 5mb big patch. Meaning it will patch files. It wont add the extra 5mb. Someone here mentioned it will even just only add shorcuts. I wouldnt worry much about the space.

Reactions: umshamrock
Upvote 0
Thanks very much Robogo for your messages, and the information on how to fix the problem with this update.

I’m sure it will be no colsolation for you, but I have exactly the same problem you did (my phone froze up at the HERO screen after the update).

My phone is also unbranded (if that’s the right word for it). I live in Italy and just bought the phone outright – so had no special deal with any carrier. I use Vodaphone, but with a pay-as-you-go service.

Anyway, thanks again for the information! I am going to try and follow the steps you helpfully provided above and keep my fingers crossed I can get my phone to work again.

-- Update on my problem

Thanks very much again Robogo! Your super clear instructions worked brilliantly and my phone is back up and running again. I think I'm definitely going to skip out on any future over-the-air updates.

Upvote 0
You are most welcome :) good to see you got your phone up and running. It does give a little scare when it won't boot properly, I admit :D

So, it seems I am NOT the only one with this problem. Notech, send me a private message so we can exchange some information and figure out what is the problem with our Heroes that will not update :(

Upvote 0
I live in Holland also with an unbranded phone and my hero locked up after the update. Called my carriers service desk to see whats happening as this is the third time my hero has been repaired since november, everytime its two weeks before you get it back.
They said the would contact htc over a replacement phone, dont know if that is a replacement hero or another phone. This was on monday last week so I'll give them a call in a week and see what the situation is.
On the plus point they also gave me a 25 euro voucher to spend in one of there shops ...... buts that only so you go back to them to spend the voucher.
Three times since november this is unacceptable, not sure if I will have another htc as this one has been so unreliable.
Had sony before moving to htc maybe I should move back to them or even the new apple.

Upvote 0
I've just updated to this calibration tool and it's wiped the clock,and numerous other widgets from my home screens.
My advice is make sure you save the theme before you do it.
I know it's hardly something major but it's a bit of a pain once you have all your screens set up how you like them and they get wiped.
Same here. Any ideas how to get them back? Seeing as they no longer appear in my widget list...

Upvote 0
Well its been nearly a month now since my hero was sent away and I still havn't heard anything. My carrier said they are waiting to hear from htc but nothing as yet. This will definiatly be the last htc I ever have. There customer service stinks, a colleague has the latest iphone thats where I'm going next.
Its a shame as my touch which I've had for a few years is still going strong but after service care is also important and as yet I've seen/heard nothing.

Upvote 0
Apologies for the thread necromancy but just wanted to point out that robogo isn't the only one with this problem. I'm having it too with my wife's unbranded hero (which I gave her after I bought my desire). Am following your instructions now mate. For the sake of my marriage (I convinced her she should upgrade to 2.1) I hope they work.

Upvote 0
Crap. PC (therefore the update utility) can't see the phone. This is despite the fact that when I plug it in it installs drivers (htc bootloader when following robogo's instructions, htc dream when it's in it's stuck hero logo reboot) and whenever I plug it in doubletwist launches.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled htc sync. No joy.

Any ideas? I'm going to be in so much trouble in the morning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones