• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New to Android, did I buy the right device ?

retro

Lurker
Aug 14, 2016
Hey guys, I am new here so please excuse my Android knowledge :)

Every year before another product is about to launch, I sell my phone, in order to get the latest device. This time it was the iPhone 6S. I actually sold my iPhone for a very good price as I had lost my box and receipt and still managed to pull off around 375 £.

I have to be honest, I have never used an Android device before but this time instead of waiting 2 months (before the new iPhone 7 / 6SE comes out) I thought about buying a budget Android phone in order to try it.

My budget was between 110 - 160 £ and I basically found what I was looking for. The 2 phones were;

#1: HTC Desire 530 (2016) - 187 £ (17 % and another code off to 130 £)

#2 Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) - 225 £

Basically, the two devices are very similar in specs, though I heard that the HTC is very slow. My question is that I opted for the HTC since it is under my budget and all I need this phone is for testing it for 2 or 3 months. The most I do with my phone is, Web browsing (I don't know how fast web browsing would be if compared to the iPhone 6S - but I am looking for a decent and faster web browser), Facebook and Messenger, Snapchat, Youtube, Mails and thats about it. I think that the HTC would still be a great choice (even though I'll only use it for 2 months and then buy the new iPhone again), what do you guys think ?

Both phones have 4G and I even got the HTC on a very good offer. There was 17 % off on the phone plus another additional value code that brought it down to exact 130 £.

Looking forward to hear from you guys best.

You're intentionally buying a budget phone so keep your expectations of phone performance in accordance with that category of phone. Don't be surprised when you run into occasional lags and other issues.

I'd recommend you'd be better off buying something with at least 2 GB of RAM. Something like this Motorola G model has 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage and is within the price point you've set (don't know if it's available in your location):
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gen-Unlocked-Black/dp/B01DZJFSZ4/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones