• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help newbie help FLASH MoPho to Metro !?

exitprogram

Jan 26, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Hi,

What i am wanting to do is switch carriers and use MetroPCS. I bought my photon 4g and i don't want to have to trash it or sell it since i am switching. And yes, i do know that my phone is 4G Wimax and is not compatible with Metro's 4G LTE service. That is fine, as i will flash the CM9 ICS ROM on to it which disables 4G, anyway.

I know that this can be a sensitive subject for some and that some people use certain methods to get around the restrictions on stolen phones. My phone is paid for and payments are current. I do not need ANY information that will lead to any topics being illegal. So. Let me begin my long and drawn out cry for help.

I have obtained my MSL/SPC code from Sprint. She told me how to get in and change my number by going to my dialer and pressing ##MSL#, etc. But i know that this is not all that is necessary to fully flash to MetroPCS. I heard something about changing information in some NV files and saving the changes, then flashing the desired carriers PRL on to the phone using QPST or something like that. I'm not too sure. Is this all that is required? Am i missing something? How do i do this ?

I also ran accross a site/program that makes the entire process of flashing to ANYTHING extremely easy and wanted to know if this looks legit to others. Here is the video on their website.
https://magicalphones.com/site/index.php?page=videos

If there is a step-by-step guide that someone knows of that applies to my Photon 4G, that would be extremely helpful. I do not understand why i cannot find a single site with a step by step guide on this. If i can get this thing figured out i will give back to the community by putting together a detailed guide myself.

Please help i really need to save a couple bucks by switching to Geico.. i mean metropcs =p ... Plus its bothering me that i can easily root and flash ROMs on to any device but i can't figure out how to properly flash to another carrier !!

Well since no one here wants to give the LEAST bit of helpful info on that subject i will lay down an overview of whats required when "Flashing" your phone to another carrier.

You use CDMA tools such as QPST and others (Google it) to flash the desired carriers information on to the phone like PRL files, etc. Once you research how to get the information on to your phone using the tools (Which is the easy part) you must have your ESN number added to the carriers database, which is where i was stuck at but for some reason no one decided to provide me with the one single fact that would have saved me hours of research. For instance, i cannot flash mine to MetroPCS because they've taken away that privilege from all of us. I did find a thread that said MetroPCS stopped doing this, but it did not state this is the onlyway to get this done. Other LARGER carriers such as Verizon and Sprint will most likely add the ESN with no problem. The only other way is ILLEGAL, which you will have to research yourself as i risk being banned if i even mention it. There are legal uses for it, but its more like a grey area.

So bottom line .... Put the information on the phone you want flashed using the software... But before you do, contact the carrier to ensure they don't have a problem adding the ESN to their database. If they do not add the ESN then you will not be able to use it on their network. Period. So save yourself some time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones