• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus guy at heart thinking of I5, your experience?

I came over from the iPhone to the GNex. They are both great phones. The iPhone will give you much better battery life. The GNex will give you a bigger screen and the ability to customize the phone more to your liking. I need to tether (without paying extra) and I did that with the iPhone after I jailbroke it, but it came built in with my GNex.

As far as durability, I can't vouch for the 5, but the 3's and 4's were a rock. made much better that the GNex.

Another thing is Verizon, they hold the strings with updating your android, (I thing Verizon is two or three updates behind 4.2.2) but with apple, you will always get the latest update along with everyone else.

Again, both great phones, but right now, and for me, I am sticking with my GNex.

Upvote 0
I had been on Android devices since the release of the HTC Dream/G1 - the very first Android device. I recently spent a year on Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook air, and Apple TV). In February of this year I sold all Apple products and returned to Android.

While I was in the Apple camp, I jailbroke my iPhone 4S and a month later accepted the OTA update knowing it would remove my jailbreak - iOS is so locked down that jailbreaking is a joke. I'm now on a stock Droid Razr HD and it offers more than a jailbroken iPhone 4S.

I'm a themer and developer. Here's why I dumped Apple products:
* Developing on iOS costs $100.00 per year. Developing on Android costs a $50.00 one-time fee. Development is cheaper on Android.

* You can submit apps to the Google Play store and know they will be accepted. Submitting apps to iTunes requires patience, as Apple vettes them, and hope that Apple will approve them. Apps are pretty much guaranteed to be accepted in the Google Play store.

* Theming a jailbroken iPhone 4S won't give you as much customization as theming a stock Android device. There are numerous launchers for Android. There are zero launchers for iOS.

* iPhones have a small screen. With the release of the iPhone 5, Apple has shown that they aren't willing to vary the screen size much. Android devices come in almost any size one would want.

* Apple has removed the DVD drives from the Macbook Pro line, effectively turning them into netbooks. The cheapest Macbook (Macbook Air) costs $999.00. Seriously, for a netbook? You can buy a Windows netbook, an Android tablet and an Android phone for that price.

* iTunes. I would comment but it would likely result in me being banned from these forums.

* Did I mention that ROMs don't exist for iOS?

Tablets:
Cheapest full Apple tablet: $499.00, no ROMs available, no launchers available, locked down OS.
Cheapest full Android tablet: $399.00 for the Nexus 10 (numerous cheaper tablets), numerous ROMs available, numerous launchers available.. tons of possibilities.

Phones:
Cheapest Apple phone: $649.00 for the iPhone 5 (off-contract), no ROMs available, no launchers available, locked down OS.
Cheapest Android phone: $299.00 for the Nexus 4 (off-contract), numerous ROMs available, numerous launchers available.. tons of possibilities.

Stick with Android, you're much better off :)

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones