• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One OR Nexus S

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Plain and simple..

The nexus s is getting phenomenal reviews only from some. The others, well they basically don't like that the hardware is nothing new, and that is misses a few things. there are no actual "bad" things OR poor performances, by far

With that said, there really isn't much that the Nexus One has short of trackball/led notification and a solid feel right?

I do like a solid feel

I was so excited about the Nexus S coming out till the reviews

Is there anyone else out there that wants an EVO, with HSPA+ and a camera with 2 LED flashes and Gingerbread, plus Pure Vanilla Android

So, what to do??

Pick out of the above two Nexus'...i.e. the original point of this thread OR wait for another...or the first 4.3" android for T-mobile.
Well, chances are, that could be awhile, and it may not be pure google no overlay. If that is what I like, the Nexus S hardware is NOT all that bad is it

Trust the reviews that say all that but at the end say,, it still is the best current android OR go and get the Nexus if I at least want the solid feel of an HTC phone

Nexus One
Nexus S
get the HTC Desire HD maybe (is that 3g in the states) or wait for another?

I believe mose will say Nexus S

I could not find a similar subscription I had posted on this or another forum.. if so, mod simply combine, or let this one go thanks

Thanks. I just read a great review. I think I will get it. I will be waiting years for another GSM EVO'esque type phone with Gingerbread that is pure Google. That prolly may not happen

Besides, if I say I am so much into buying and selling phones, lol,...and I am (I have had the Nexus One, Evo, Vibrant, and MT4G since June) then I should just get it and wait a few months to see if something better comes along

But I met many phone salespeople in the mall today that said if it is pure unadultered Google I want, i.e. Nexus type, then It may be awhile before another comes

Thanks for pushing me in that direction Johnny

Upvote 0
Main Rule of buying an Android - Go for the one with the highest OS version first. Always.

Nexus S vs. Nexus One.

Appearance wise, the Nexus One will always be a piece of art. Looks better than the Desire, Mozart, Trophy, MyTouch 4G, Surround --- well just about everything HTC released after the Nexus. The longer you look at it, physically, the more you appreciate the sleekness of its lines.

Having said that, the Nexus One has a buggy touchscreen and the capacitive buttons are less than responsive. HTC fixed those on the Desire and Droid Incredible, direct descendants of the Nexus One.

The Nexus S looks like an avante garde piece of black plastic shaped like a jelly bean. Compared to the sleekness of the Nexus One, the Nexus S looks more like a controversial piece of art.

But my experience with the Samsung Galaxy S proves this phone foundation has the best and most accurate touchscreen of any Android phone. The GPU is also the best, which means the fastest redraws and the least choppiness of any Android phone, something that was true of the Galaxy S.

There are areas where the Nexus One might bench faster than the Nexus S, like the Linpacks benchmark. On the Caffeinmarks, the Nexus S should have the same to better scores than the Froyo updated Galaxy S, which goes ahead of any Qualcomm 8250 powered Android. On benchmarks involving graphics, the Nexus S should demolish the Nexus One given how well the Galaxy S fared in this.

Upvote 0
I went to Best Buy Mobile, and the guy there told me that the Nexus S doesn't get 3G on AT&T. He put his SIM card in it and it was running on edge. To me that was a deal breaker.

I read that someplace and I can't understand why they made this one only for T-Mobile.
Surely they will release one that support AT&Ts 3G bands like they did the N1...

Upvote 0
I read that someplace and I can't understand why they made this one only for T-Mobile.
Surely they will release one that support AT&Ts 3G bands like they did the N1...

I mean even if they made in only for T-Mobile then why not at least make it fully capable of using T-Mobiles "4G" HSPA+?? That's the part that really boggles my mind. I just can't wait till my contract is over with AT&T so that I can get ANYTHING other than a Samsung.

Upvote 0
I mean even if they made in only for T-Mobile then why not at least make it fully capable of using T-Mobiles "4G" HSPA+?? That's the part that really boggles my mind. I just can't wait till my contract is over with AT&T so that I can get ANYTHING other than a Samsung.

That's another good point that I did not consider.
It should at least have been an HSPA+ device...
I guess Google does not want to compete directly with Motorola, Samsung or HTC?
So they send over some specs to one of their 'partners' that makes a phone.
It gets web only advertisement and is restricted to one or two carriers and always a GSM carrier so it at least works minimally.

The other issue with AT&T is that they gimp the Android offerings so badly that people buy iPhones.
With this supposed 'Verizon iPhone' AT&T stands to have a mass exodus to Verizon so they really should be doing their best to increase their Android offerings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones