• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One vs iPhone 4!!!!

Are there any other good super contenders to the N1 and iPhone for ATT? Or perhaps, one's that can be bought unlocked like the N1 and used on ATT?

Samsung i897, although you have to buy it on contract, which I think is a good thing, att needs a good android phone for people who don't want to pay full price. Unlocked phones just aren't that popular here.

Reactions: qcom
Upvote 0
Yeah, I was just reading up on it, and it seems kind of a pain overall, with the 4G and everything. They have specs, I guess..

So I guess the only option for me then, is to decide whether to hold out a bit and see if Google is going to launch a new Nexus, or similar phone, or but the N1 as soon as I possibly can!

Otherwise, I'm pretty much good as sold against the iPhone 4. It hurts, to be sure, but it's well worth it, I think. I just can't stand being oppressed by Apple any longer, I have been with them for 3 iPhones and it's finally starting to show!

Upvote 0
qcom it sounds like you are in the market for a new experience and I can tell you that I was in the same boat when my iPhone broke. I could have either got it fix ($200), looked for a used one, used my old dumbphone until the new one came out, or try out android with the N1. I decided I need to try something new and went with the N1.

I still think that the iPhone provides a better polished experience (I will probably get flamed for saying that) for the average consumer. Everything works together and it works well. You hook it up to itunes and everything gets sync'ed with a click of the button, music, apps, videos, contacts etc...Speaking of music it also fetches your album art and the genius playlists were pretty awesome. I really don't have anything bad to say about what the iPhone does. My issues come with what it doesn't do.

So why am I with android?

After about 6 months with the iphone the wow factor wore off. They were becoming easy to get and everyone had one. Now everyone had the same phone nothing was different except for the white or black phone and what picture you had when you started it up. There was zero customization...and I like customization. With my N1 I can change the launcher, my text app, my browser app, my wallpaper all to my liking. Also I no longer have to launch apps just to check the weather, there are widgets for almost anything (might not seem like a big deal but I like that i just unlock my phone and there is my weekly weather forecase, scroll over and there are my face book updates, above that I have my rss feeds, it's all there right in front of you, easy to access).

As I said before hardware is hardware, there will be a better phone spec wise, it will happen, so when you are ready pick your hardware and take android for a test ride. I am pretty sure it will be the android os that will keep you here and not the hardware that is on your phone. I love my N1 but if something bigger and better comes out in the next year I will jump ship but it will be to another android running phone.

Upvote 0
If you use google calendar/contacts etc android smashed the integration. I love adding a quick reminder or map link on my pc and bang its on my calendar widget. I love my n1 and i have had tons of phones with every OS. My worst experience was Symbian with my i8910 and that had awsome hardware. So yes 'Mostly Harmless' is right its not about hardware.

A 1gz prcessor wont be much different to a 1.5gz processor trust me......thats my view anyway...

Upvote 0
Simply put. It is quite amazing how the one year old N1 holds up to this new Apple offering. I
The Nexus One is HALF a year old. It was released January 5/6 of 2010...

Sorry but for a woman on her 1st Smartphone the iPhone's simple what you see is what you get is prob better for her. When my G/F uses my N1 its like she has lost the ability to think, 'how do I do this?' 'wheres the button for that'...... :D
Oh...you had this coming for saying that! THAT SIR IS VERY UNTRUE! I may be a minority in a minority group but I love my N1 as much as any 'guy' here! The Nexus is MY first smartphone. Not all chicks are incompetent with technology :p There are a lot of chicks that ADORE the Android phones and use them to their full potential. I thought of buying an iPhone...a cheap android phone that was running on 1.5...but I want a FULL smartphone experience. The Nexus One gave me that!

I still think that the iPhone provides a better polished experience (I will probably get flamed for saying that) for the average consumer. Everything works together and it works well. You hook it up to itunes and everything gets sync'ed with a click of the button, music, apps, videos, contacts etc...Speaking of music it also fetches your album art and the genius playlists were pretty awesome. I really don't have anything bad to say about what the iPhone does. My issues come with what it doesn't do.
I agree with you there. The iPhone is for the AVERAGE consumers who want to show off that they are using the 'latest' technology but don't really understand the technology itself and what it has to offer (like features outside of what Apple offers).

Upvote 0
Sorry but for a woman on her 1st Smartphone the iPhone's simple what you see is what you get is prob better for her. When my G/F uses my N1 its like she has lost the ability to think, 'how do I do this?' 'wheres the button for that'...... :D

My wifes a nurse. She has no real interest in the depths of technology but she still likes her technology. She has her own laptop. Plays the odd online game. And until this week had a iphone 3g.

I upgraded to a dell streak this past friday and went to list my nexus one on ebay. She came downstairs asking me why I was taking pictures of it and the box to which I informed her I was listing it on ebay. She promptly clipped me(gently.. well mostly gently) round the back of the head, grabbed the phone and walked away saying "dont be ****ing daft im having that". Until recently she seemed to have no interest in android and was happy with her iphone, apart from expressing she liked the idea of the increased screen size of the dell streak. Well as it turns out she'd been paying alot of attention when I was showing off widgets etc to friends and had decided she wanted a piece of that pie as well.

Moral of the story? well theres 2. first always offer the phone to the wife first if its an upgrade. secondly women are just as much into the deep android smartphone technology as we are, and if you dont think thats the case I suggest you go back to the 40's where you're views belong :p

Upvote 0
Moral of the story? well theres 2. first always offer the phone to the wife first if its an upgrade. secondly women are just as much into the deep android smartphone technology as we are, and if you dont think thats the case I suggest you go back to the 40's where you're views belong :p

hmm I think you quote the wrong person mate :p

I beleive this is who you should have quoted

Upvote 0
it was supposed to be yours and his quote together *shakes fist at forum quoting*:D

**edit** fixed the quote so it included his not yours. Was aiming to include you both but nevermind :)

Oh dear somebody either got out of bed the wrong side today or has had a sense of humour bypass hence why I put the :D after the message!

I don't doubt many women get on well with the Nexus, indeed my mates wife got one to replace her iPhone after having a play but my G/F is genuinely useless at technology, she is brilliant at her job and earns a lot of money for being so but when it involves interacting with a gadget she is flummoxed hence why she uses a standard Nokia phone and why she moans at me for breaking the Sky+ because I was the last to use it when it turns out she's trying to watch something that hasn't even been recorded yet again!

Upvote 0
T
Oh...you had this coming for saying that! THAT SIR IS VERY UNTRUE! I may be a minority in a minority group but I love my N1 as much as any 'guy' here! The Nexus is MY first smartphone. Not all chicks are incompetent with technology :p There are a lot of chicks that ADORE the Android phones and use them to their full potential. I thought of buying an iPhone...a cheap android phone that was running on 1.5...but I want a FULL smartphone experience. The Nexus One gave me that!

And yes Roze I was waiting for the flames to start with that comment! :D

Upvote 0
I was wondering whether to get a new phone, either nexus one or the new iphone. I'm using a blackberry 9700 at the moment and I'm looking for a better phone. I was thinking to get nexus one before until the iPhone4 came out and I don't really know what to get then. I know iphone has good feature such as the FaceTime, etc. But I love google too. Sooner or later many people are gonna use iphone4 and its gonna be a pain seeing everybody using the same phone.

Soo, I got a dilemma now, iPhone4 ... Or the Nexus One :(

Upvote 0
I was wondering whether to get a new phone, either nexus one or the new iphone. I'm using a blackberry 9700 at the moment and I'm looking for a better phone. I was thinking to get nexus one before until the iPhone4 came out and I don't really know what to get then. I know iphone has good feature such as the FaceTime, etc. But I love google too. Sooner or later many people are gonna use iphone4 and its gonna be a pain seeing everybody using the same phone.

Soo, I got a dilemma now, iPhone4 ... Or the Nexus One :(

Facetime is just another marketing quip Job's is using to dress up technology that everyone has used before so don't fall for the hype!!

Wait a few weeks, borrow some friends phones n see for yourself which suits, everyone wants different things so see what feels right with you. And then just order a Nexus because its way better than a bloody iPhone ha ha!

Upvote 0
I got a dilemma now, iPhone4 ... Or the Nexus One :(

It's not a dilemma once you think of the freedom the Nexus One gives you vs an iPhone:

$50/mo Even More Plus (contract free w/ unlimited data) vs $65/mo (2 yr contract w/ 2 gb data cap)

Android openness vs iPhone OS lockdown

Free Google Maps Navigation + Google Voice Text Messaging vs Apple blocking these free applications so they can make more money

I guess if you like giving up your freedom, being taken advantage of, and told what you can and cant do with your own property - then go iPhone if your into that sort of thing... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
After owning an iphone for about a year then selling it to buy an n1 I can confidently say id take the nexus over the iphone. Apple always boasts about how many apps they have in the app store but literally 98% of them you play with for a day and then delete them because theyre so useless. Why in the world would I EVER want to edit a movie on my phone?? I had a jailbroken iphone and i would just download all my apps instead of paying for them because i would just play with them once and delete them. It wasnt because I was too cheap to buy apps i just didnt see the point to pay for something im going to not use after a day. Conversely on my Nexus when i find a useful tool that I can use all the time I dont mind paying a $2-3 for it. For example Beautiful Widgets is an awesome app and I have no regrets paying for it because I actually get full usage out of it.

Another thing that makes me lean towards android over apple is the widgets. Im an old symbian user and one gripe with the iphone i had was that i would put calender events on my homescreen. Its not a big deal if youve never used a calender widget but once youre accustomed to it its hard to go back.

One thing I must say that apple does better is the more intuitive UI. Even hardware wise the iPhone doesnt have those 4 stupid touch buttons like on all android phones. Google should really integrate the touch buttons in a different way and make the trackball act like a home button. They should do what Maemo does with the N900 and make an invisible button on the top left corner of the screen and when you press it the back, options, home and search buttons will pop up on-screen.

Upvote 0
Guys, I really appreciate all of the help and time you have donated to help me out, and not just me, but to all of the people like me who come here and ask questions.

I think this forum sings android song, euphoniously. An open community who is willing to help out others by donating their time for free. (Except, maybe that little $529.00 price tag if you're over at ATT :D)

Anyway, just, again, thanks a lot for the help! And I've completely made up my mind and am siding with the N1.

Although, I think Mostly Harmless summed up Android perfectly as well, stating that Android is why we're here, not the hardware. Although it's nice to have a phone with overclocking abilities on par with the i7-875 we may settle for the i5-655 (just kidding :)). Android is a great, open-source, powerful, exponentially increasing, well-supported, cool OS that looks like it'll be alive and well for quite some time.

Whew, well, I think I'm gonna go bust out my credit card xD

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0
I disagree completely that the iPhone OS is more intuitive.

Partly because it just does less. Simple rows of icons (and folders now).

Partly because what it does do is so much of a faff! Compare switching Wi-Fi on and off (or any setting) on Android compared to iPhone.

It's more simple but not necessarily always making it easier to use.

Upvote 0
iphone is like Honda: a pedestrian, one size fits all business model to make simple cars for folks who just go back and forth to work. Android is more like a V8 engine. It is so versatile and customizable that it is used in pedestrian cars, hot rods, police interceptors and race cars. I can't be too far off the mark since every mobile phone manufacturer on the planet either has an Android phone or one in the works....except Apple. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones