• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus One vs iPhone 4!!!!

I own both phones and like the both equally.

In terms of media playing, iPhone wins hands down no debate.

But the thing I feel about android is, the more you use it, the more the phone becomes you. So customizable, and so usable with so many simple tools that actually help make your life a smidge less complicated. In time I can see android becoming a better OS than iOS.

Upvote 0
What I really enjoy about Android is the fact that is displays information faster to you then the iOS can and that is done with widgets. I can read my latest facebook post, check the weather for the next two days, and check my messages before iOS can complete one of those task.

I believe Android has more potential because it's more open then iOS.

Apple could accomplish these things but I think the stubborness of the company prevents it from doing so.

Upvote 0
I see that alot of you mention things on the iPhone like lack of customization, a not so good notification system and so on. Well I'll throw in my .02. I did have an android phone a few months back and switched to a 3GS then a iPhone 4 on release day.....why am I here again? Let's get that out the way, for some reason AT&T's service is getting horrible at my house (yea I know i4 antenna, not so, my sons 3G gets horrible rection to right now) so I'm looking fir another carrier and I'm on here trying to figure out which android phone I want......honestly thanks to you guys I might have changed my mind...I see the android phones are having more problems than the iPhone (ex. Poor battery life, always needing updates, evo camera glass breaking etc) so with that out the way here's my .02:
Have you ever heard of jailbreaking? I see alot of talk about rooting android phones....isn't that kinda the same thing......but much harder to do than jailbreaking? This fixes pretty much all the issues stated about the iPhone, for free and easily. Not to mention from what I remember, I can do even more with my jailbroken i4 than my hero. The quality and build of the iPhone is much better, more accessories, cases etc. The battery life on my i4 is three times that of my hero and I don't need to keep batteries or memory cards in my pocket. The display, while being a tad smaller than the giant android phones, looks much better. I went to a sprint store an played with an evo....it wasn't as smooth or as fast either.

So with that being said, I'm not here to start anything, but i think I might hold off switching until there is something actually as good or better than the iPhone. I see both sides of the fence are actually having problems.....

Upvote 0
Have you ever heard of jailbreaking? I see alot of talk about rooting android phones....isn't that kinda the same thing......but much harder to do than jailbreaking?

I'll take issue with only this point. Rooting is not harder or easier that jailbreaking an iPhone. The differences are that rooting does not void your hardware warranty, only your OS support and no carrier is going to issue an update that intentionally bricks a rooted phone.

Upvote 0
First off, I will remind everyone that we are to debate the topic at hand and not attack the debating members. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I'll put in my $0.02

Have you ever heard of jailbreaking? I see alot of talk about rooting android phones....isn't that kinda the same thing......but much harder to do than jailbreaking? This fixes pretty much all the issues stated about the iPhone, for free and easily.
Rooting your phone now has become quite easy with 'one click root'. The thing to remember is that you can do MORE with an unrooted Android phone then a jailbroken iPhone. To get the features/customization that is already on an unrooted Android phone...you'd need to jailbreak your iPhone.

Not to mention from what I remember, I can do even more with my jailbroken i4 than my hero.
You're comparing a 2 years plus old technology with a 2 months old one. So to me, OBVIOUSLY the i4 will out perform your hero, if it didn't...then it would be a regression of technology.

The quality and build of the iPhone is much better, more accessories, cases etc.

I think that's a matter of opinion, I love my Nexus One, with its monocrome metal body and rubber plastic cover case. Built wise, the N1 cannot be beaten. Everything about it screams both standard and class. With respect to accessories...you're paying a premium price for them ;) So instead of buying a nice $30 leather case...that'd be like what $40-60 for a similar case for the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Actually I, nor anyone I know has bricked their iPhone. It just doesn't happen on the newer iPhones. While yes it "may" void your warranty, but a quick restore removes the jailbreak before you bring the phone in. I would imagine rooting your phone voids your warranty also , no? I would have to disagree with you on the ease of a jailbreak vs rooting. With an iPhone, you go to jailbreakme.com in the browser, click "jailbreak" and voil

Upvote 0
And once again people I'm not here to start any mess, My intentions are good. I just want everyone that's not informed that the iPhone is not as closed up as it is portrayed. Most of us here are phone nuts, and phone nuts like to mod and have fun with their device right? I've always been interested in the eve, N1 (I fell in love when I first saw it) the droid x and the hd2. And like I have said before I was considering coming back, but I remember while I had my hero I learned alot here and figured I'd stop by and check out if there are any problems with the phones I'm interested in. There's a bunch of good people here and I'm thankful for that. I hated to leave by the way, the iPhone forum I belong to is pretty boring. So anyways, no offense to anyone intended, I'm just stating what I know about my phone.

Upvote 0
Roze, just read your post, I wasn't attacking anyone by anymeans nor did I try to. If it seems like I did, sorry. I know, I feel like I'm in enemy territory anyways...but I'll defend android phones when needed if someone is downing them. 1 click root, that awsome...like I said earlier, so is a jailbreak. As far as the droids being more customizable out if the box, maybe so... But I don't think the droid can do anymore than the iPhone when jailbroken/rooted... They can do pretty much the same thing. Name one thing you think the iPhone can't do when jailbroken (besides not drop a call hehe

Upvote 0
Actually I, nor anyone I know has bricked their iPhone. It just doesn't happen on the newer iPhones. While yes it "may" void your warranty, but a quick restore removes the jailbreak before you bring the phone in. I would imagine rooting your phone voids your warranty also , no?

No. If you read my first post carefully you will see where I state that the warranty is not tied to the OS. What you risk by rooting is losing support from the carrier.

I am not talking about accidentally bricking in iPhone because of a dodgey update or a suspect app, or even by virtue of jailbreaking. I am talking about the threats Apple has made about issuing OS updates that will brick jailbroken phones if applied.

I would have to disagree with you on the ease of a jailbreak vs rooting. With an iPhone, you go to jailbreakme.com in the browser, click "jailbreak" and voil

Upvote 0
Roze, just read your post, I wasn't attacking anyone by anymeans nor did I try to. If it seems like I did, sorry. I know, I feel like I'm in enemy territory anyways...but I'll defend android phones when needed if someone is downing them.
haha, no, that's not what I meant...this tread has been pretty tranquil...but from other similar threads (iPhone vs______), when someone has a more positive outlook to iOS than Android...a few members start attacking them on a personal level...so just wanted to put that out :) Everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

1 click root, that awsome...like
I said earlier, so is a jailbreak. As far as the droids being more customizable out if the box, maybe so... But I don't think the droid can do anymore than the iPhone when jailbroken/rooted... They can do pretty much the same thing. Name one thing you think the iPhone can't do when jailbroken (besides not drop a call hehe

See that's my point! I'm not into rooting (well not yet anyways) but I think there are more things I can do on my Android than an iPhone. I've only played with my friends' iPhones...so this is where my experience is from. But from what I gather, to get the SAME experience...I'd have to jailbreak the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Really in not here to argue. I guess the thing that made me post is someone saying the iPhone is not customizable, and I wanted to point out there is a notification app. Like I said I know I'm in "enemy" territory so I understand the defensiveness. No problem, your taking it the wrong way....everyone will defend what they have and I understand that too.

Upvote 0
haha, no, that's not what I meant...this tread has been pretty tranquil...but from other similar threads (iPhone vs______), when someone has a more positive outlook to iOS than Android...a few members start attacking them on a personal level...so just wanted to put that out :) Everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

See that's my point! I'm not into rooting (well not yet anyways) but I think there are more things I can do on my Android than an iPhone. I've only played with my friends' iPhones...so this is where my experience is from. But from what I gather, to get the SAME experience...I'd have to jailbreak the iPhone.
Ok, I see! Lol.

And yes you can do a couple more things with droid phones....but the new ios does offer a few things that the iPhone did not have. But no, without a jb you can't have custom ring tones and I'm sure there are a couple other things. I apologize that this post has kinda off topic, I just wanted the op and anyone else who is in the same dilemma to know that there are apps and ways to get around apples closed up ways.
Also, I have never heard of apple trying to purposely encoding something to brick phones. They do, however, break your jailbreak when you update. Most of the updates don't do anything but break your jailbreak, so I stay away from updating unless it's something I really need and would be willing to temporarily losing my jb over. It's a never ending battle I know it, but with the supreme court ruling that jb is not against the law....it just makes it all the more enjoyable to me.

I think of it this way: you go buy a new camaro ss, the enthusiast isn't going to leave it alone even knowing they may void there warranty, but the regular driver might be content with it the way it comes. I consider most of us enthusiasts.

Upvote 0
Really in not here to argue. I guess the thing that made me post is someone saying the iPhone is not customizable, and I wanted to point out there is a notification app. Like I said I know I'm in "enemy" territory so I understand the defensiveness. No problem, your taking it the wrong way....everyone will defend what they have and I understand that too.

Sorry, but that style of explanation does not wash. If you wish to inform people about the possibilities with the iPhone, that's fine but do based it on reasonable comparison, not hyperbole.

If you want to perceive education as defensiveness, then let this stand as further education. I completely understood what you were saying and it was incorrect on many points. I chose to correct you on the chance that others would read your claims and believe them to be true. Sorry if you found my remarks to be defensive in nature, they were strictly for your education. Would you feel any better about it if i tacked on an "lol"?

Upvote 0
Man you sound all smart and stuff! Lol

And mr super edgumacated, what might I have been so wrong about? That it's harder to root an android phone? Well excuuuuse me! Man I feel like I should go jump off a building because you proved me wrong! Wow! You sure do take your phone stuff serious! Lmao

*sigh*

Some people's children...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones