• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No discussion on the article from this week?

The original Boy Genius Report article has already been brought up in both the main HTC Desire thread here..

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/45678-htc-desire-2.html#post375904

..as well as in the more Verizon-centric thread here..

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/45875-htc-desire-verizon-wireless-yes-no.html#post376041

..although not much has been discussed about it in either so far.

Regarding the sense (or lack thereof) in T-Mobile getting both the Desire and the N1, it really doesn't seem that different to me than Verizon eventually getting both the N1 and the Incredible. One is sold exclusively through Google, the other through the carrier. One has stock Android, the other layers Sense on top. I've seen a number of comments suggesting that the Incredible is Verizon's version of the N1, but that strikes me as unlikely as Google seems to have made it clear that the N1 is their phone representing their vision for what Android is (e.g. no Sense UI).

Since all signs seem to be pointing to both the Incredible and the N1 eventually coming to Verizon, I see no reason why T-Moblile couldn't bring some Desire/Bravo variation to the U.S. as well. As a T-Mobile user I certainly hope they do, although I will admit the lack of rumors to that end has left me discouraged. :(

Upvote 0
Ah ok. Well, perhaps a better-suited topic for this thread, then, might have been something along the lines of, "Desire on AT&T discussion."

According to what you're saying, it sounds like you think that the N1 will be sold w/TMo bands thru Google-only, with no contract/subsidization? IF that's the case, then yes, it would make sense if both models went to both carriers.

But if it's the other way around, with the carriers subsidizing both handsets & offering them on contract, (to me anyway) it wouldn't make sense to offer both from the carriers POV. How could they differentiate the models enough to have them both sell well?

I should add that having said all of the above, I will be happy for AT&T users if such a great looking device is coming their way, they have been left out as far as Android goes for far too long, but I'll still be disappointed if T-Mobile users are left empty handed.
As an AT&T user, I wholeheartedly agree. Also, I wouldn't say that TMo users would be left empty-handed if the remainder of the article is true, & you guys end up w/the Legend...

Upvote 0
Well, the N1 already is sold with Tmobile bands exclusively through Google either full price with no contract or subsidized with a two year contract. In their announcement of the N1, Google was stressing their new distrubution model as being nearly as big a deal (if not moreso) as the Nexus 1 itself, so I am assuming that they would handle the Verizon N1 release the same way.

But it seems like carriers still like to have products to sell in their brick and mortar stores, so that's where the possibility of the Incredible (by all accounts with very similar specs to the N1) being sold in stores seems reasonable to me.

On top of that, Verizon may well deem the addition of the Sense UI as offering an increased value to their customers (I certainly would), so perhaps something like that could factor into carrying both devices.

As for the Legend on Tmo, everything I've seen so far is placing it coming out on Sprint.

Upvote 0
Ah ok. I wasn't aware that TMo already subsidized/contracted the N1. & yes, my mistake on the Legend, it was Sprint in the article. Derp.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd like to know if there's any more corroborating info on the ATT launch, along w/date info. I'm wondering if the Backflip's going to be ATT's only Android handset for 2Q...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones