• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no pop email notifications? and mem full?!?

ron

Sep 17, 2009
There are a couple issues I am seeing here.
1. No POP notifications - not the icon on the icon bar, and not the notification sound which I have assigned. (The mail downloads most of the time, but no notifications at all.)

2. I am at times getting "not enough space to download this mail" messages even though it is a new phone and I am pretty sure there is a lot of space left. I exchanged my previous phone today and this is a brand new phone with the same issue!!

Notes:
My previous phone had this issue with 1.5, and I upgraded to 2.1 and the issue persisted.

Also this occurs whether there is a memory card in the slot or not. (also the mem card is not full)

Now the new Hero which I got today has the same issue...

Any ideas? Anyone know how to check the available internal mem space? And how could it have gotten full in 2 hours of use anyway? My other heros have more apps and no such issues.

Thanks!

I have not experienced this issue. In fact, my Sprint HTC Hero seems to have the opposite effect ever since the Android 2.1 update. It likes to make a notification sound every 15 minutes if I do not check my POP3 email and there are unread emails present in my inbox. It is rather annoying actually.

The only thing I can recommend to you is to look in your POP3 mail client's settings menu. There is a section for notifications that you can fiddle around with.

Upvote 0
yeah, the settings in the client are set correctly.

Just an FYI: turning the stock app to manual and letting gmail pop my account resulted in a 3x increase in standby battery life! I used to lose maybe 25-30% power in 8 hours while i slept, and last night with gmail pop, I lost only 10%. Not bad.

Upvote 0
That is a good tip. I do not see as much battery depletion as you are though when using the POP3 email app.

I normally see around 10% - 15% battery usage over night when using said email client. I never thought that kind of battery usage was bad. It has actually gotten even better since I installed the Android 2.1 update. Of course, maybe my volume of email is lower than yours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones