no pop email notifications? and mem full?!?

Last Updated:

1. ron

ron Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There are a couple issues I am seeing here.
    1. No POP notifications - not the icon on the icon bar, and not the notification sound which I have assigned. (The mail downloads most of the time, but no notifications at all.)

2. I am at times getting "not enough space to download this mail" messages even though it is a new phone and I am pretty sure there is a lot of space left. I exchanged my previous phone today and this is a brand new phone with the same issue!!

Notes:
    My previous phone had this issue with 1.5, and I upgraded to 2.1 and the issue persisted.

Also this occurs whether there is a memory card in the slot or not. (also the mem card is not full)

Now the new Hero which I got today has the same issue...

Any ideas? Anyone know how to check the available internal mem space? And how could it have gotten full in 2 hours of use anyway? My other heros have more apps and no such issues.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

To see internal memory space: Go to Menu > Settings > SD & Phone storage > Internal phone storage

3. Kataclysmic

Kataclysmic Well-Known Member

Also, while you're in your email:

Menu>More>Settings>Send & Receive>Mail size limit

I have mine set to 'No limit' but I know that before I changed that I had problems opening emails. I'm not sure if this is the same issue as you are having though.

4. ron

I believe I am getting the same error regardless of the "size" limitation in the mail settings.
    Also, my available internal space is 111 MB...

5. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I have not experienced this issue. In fact, my Sprint HTC Hero seems to have the opposite effect ever since the Android 2.1 update. It likes to make a notification sound every 15 minutes if I do not check my POP3 email and there are unread emails present in my inbox. It is rather annoying actually.

The only thing I can recommend to you is to look in your POP3 mail client's settings menu. There is a section for notifications that you can fiddle around with.

6. ron

Thanks LBH, but what client are you talking about? I am referring to the standard Mail app on 1.5 and 2.1...

Thanks again.

7. LBPHeretic

I am referring to the standard email client too. Sorry I did not make that more clear.

I do not really use my GMail client (though I do have a Google account for contacts and calendar entries, etc...) at all on my Sprint HTC Hero. My main email has always been POP3 based, which is the standard email client you are talking about.

8. ron

yeah, the settings in the client are set correctly.

Just an FYI: turning the stock app to manual and letting gmail pop my account resulted in a 3x increase in standby battery life! I used to lose maybe 25-30% power in 8 hours while i slept, and last night with gmail pop, I lost only 10%. Not bad.

9. LBPHeretic

That is a good tip. I do not see as much battery depletion as you are though when using the POP3 email app.

I normally see around 10% - 15% battery usage over night when using said email client. I never thought that kind of battery usage was bad. It has actually gotten even better since I installed the Android 2.1 update. Of course, maybe my volume of email is lower than yours.