• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No sleep has nothing to do with anything

The only explanation would be, that 1.6 firmwares make a irreversible change to some component in the phone. But that's crazy, every fw r-eflash clears all traces of any previous fw.
i had this on ii5 on my way to london, phone just went nuts and depleted battery in 2.5 hrs. i didnt have a car charger with me

this was before 1.6

it can be random

Upvote 0
I've been using JB2 since it was released. I had problems with the no-sleep bug a lot for the first couple of weeks. Suddenly, and seemingly without changing any usage habits, the bug went away. I was experiencing battery life of close to two days, with autosync enabled the whole time (data limited to 2G when not actively in use). That lasted for quite some time. Last week it came back as mysteriously as it went away.

Sucks.

Reboots help at least in temporarily extending battery life.

Upvote 0
I've been using JB2 since it was released. I had problems with the no-sleep bug a lot for the first couple of weeks. Suddenly, and seemingly without changing any usage habits, the bug went away. I was experiencing battery life of close to two days, with autosync enabled the whole time (data limited to 2G when not actively in use). That lasted for quite some time. Last week it came back as mysteriously as it went away.

Sucks.

I'm really sorry to say it, but this is funny.

Upvote 0
really strange, i also see different "intensity" of the 3g bug on the same baseband from one flash to another, maybe they are really related to a bug in odin like discussed earlier somewhere. does anyone know if odin is a official samsung tool for their service personel or is it a third party tool that mimics the behavour of nps with some extra options?

Upvote 0
I am with Galaxo1.6.2. I was also facing no-sleep bug now and then. Then I tried "Automatic memory manager" together with "Overclock widget". Overclock widget is configured to minimum CPU speed when screen is off, and min-122880, max-480000 while screen is on. and these two combinations are doing the trick for me. Free memory is always more than 30MB and surprisingly phone is very fast (yes no typo ;) ). No lagging at all except with market (when some application is installing in the background ). Since then I have not faced this bug. Battery backup is around 3 days with normal uses (with edge connectivity and I do not make phone calls). Atuosync is in auto mode (autosync on off widget).
I think this is more because of "Automatic memory manager". I have also tweaked with priorities of some apps in AMM.

Upvote 0
hey guys,
could any of you try what i tried?
go to google maps, press menu button and go into join latitude and then press menu button again to privacy and set to turn off latitude.
since then (week already) didn't have no sleep issue whatever i do phone sleeps like a baby or am i just lucky?
try for the sake of interest it might help who knows :)

Upvote 0

Sucks.

this all applies to me pretty exactly

never used tb btw

Upvote 0
As far as I understand the test for sleep/non sleep is to check Other Usage under Battery History, and if running time is doesn't differ too much from screen on the phone is sleeping.

However, these values - at least in galaxo 1.6.2 vary wildly. For example if I kill Settings application and go to Battery History again the values are sometimes completely different from what I saw before the kill.

Also I saw following:

- phone unplugged from charger and left in peace for couple of minutes
- Battery History shows that it was indeed sleeping: running and screen on amount to ~15 sec
- I play with phone for couple of minutes> smsing, talking, browsing, WiFi on/off, GPS on/off... I repeat for couple of minutes
- Battery History suddenly shows running 100% (since last unplugged), and time running ~20 minutes, which is way longer then time since last unplugged.

Is there some other, more reliable and way to detect sleeping/non-sleeping?

Upvote 0
you can easily see, if you press the unlock key to activate your phone (just short press) and it goes to homescreen imidiately instead of the lock screen, it did not sleep.

If you lock the phone, and then immediately push the lock button again - it takes some time for the screen to light up. Are you suggesting the phone goes to sleep immediately under normal conditions?

Upvote 0
As apolloFER told in one of his feedback that the phone is sleeping if the flash screen don't pop up when you hit the unlock button but it pops up after a second then using JC6 with the own baseband seems to work for me,since my screen don't pop up instantly, i didn't use any restore program,but installed all the programs over agine.

Upvote 0
you can easily see, if you press the unlock key to activate your phone (just short press) and it goes to homescreen imidiately instead of the lock screen, it did not sleep.

I have never observed this behavior. However, I still suspect that I do suffer from no sleep. Today I wanted to see if my GPS works or not, so I turned it on. But Neither Google Maps nor Test GPS wanted to work until I enabled network location. It worked then (and it was fairly quick, but I was in the open space).

But soon afterward I saw that Battery History shows that the phone was running all the time: after just few minutes of having network location on, Battery History showed running 70%, screen on 5%...

It went back to normal (non-insomniac) after disabling network location and reboot.

Other thing I noticed is that logcat reports all kinds of activity for the period when the phone is supposed to sleep. That includes - apart of other things - tons of keypress events (I did not touch any keys), and events about network location changes (network location was disabled).

Upvote 0
you need at least 4 satellite to determinate your position,so try use the gps somewhere else, it should work without the network location. but first try to share with google your information maybe it helps.

About the key press if you use the original case of the galaxy is to tight so cut out holes where the right buttons are,i did so and no more key press events!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones