• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NOOB here!! Do I have to unroot?

ddaren

Lurker
Aug 26, 2009
Hey guys, just signed up for this forum because I have posted on other forums and NOBODY has responded with help. It's been weeks since I posted. Hopefully this forum is better.

I am a complete noob but I have been reading up about my phone. I bought my phone used from private seller. I asked him if it's completely stock and I could easily just pop in my SIM card and use it and he said yeah. I do not know if it's rooted or not. There is no way to contact the seller anymore. Here's my details

Model number: T-Mobile G1
Firmware version: 1.5
Kernel verison: 2.6.27-00393-g6607056
san@sandroid #1
Build number: CRB43

Basically, the phone works fine and has no problems. However, my main issue is that I can't put assign pictures to each of my contacts. Once it goes to the screen to "Crop" the image, the camera app is force closed. I want to fix that but so far, everyone has told me i need to factory reset my phone.

First thing I did was to try to reset the phone data by going to Settings-->SD Card and Phone Storage-->Factory Data Reset... it goes straight to a screen with words on it such as Serial0 and DREA PVT and the screen is red,green,blue, and white. From research, I think that it's the boot screen.

I try to start the phone by holding Home+Power, but it goes straight to the boot screen again and I don't know what to do from there besides boot it back up normally again.

Is my phone rooted? If so, how do I "unroot" it and install an official upgrade from T-mobile? I am a beginner with this phone and don't think a rooted phone would be very good.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones